Amount

Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!

28 Oct 2014 18:28 #38717 by lfan
Carol Danvers coming to the Silver Screen in July, 2018........just announced at Marvel's Live Event

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Oct 2014 19:02 #38718 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
Finally! I don't what took them so long? I guess the WW announcement spurred them on. Here is a link to a story:

Captain Marvel announced

More
28 Oct 2014 19:09 #38719 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
Great news, first a Supergirl TV series, then a Wonder Woman film announcement, and now this. Decades without anything, then three announcements in the space of a month. What a time to be a superheroine fan :)

More
28 Oct 2014 19:49 #38722 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
I knew there was going to be a female led movie in the unannounced block, it was just a matter of which one.

I don't know why we've not had a Black Widow movie yet though.

But aside from Widow, Captain Marvel was the right choice (Easier to make than She-Hulk).

Going to be some good time ahead -- I can't wait to see how Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel all turn out.

More
28 Oct 2014 21:38 #38730 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
I wonder if they will follow the plot of the original comics run where Carol Danvers has no clue she's Ms Marvel. She would get migraines and pass out whenever her alter-ego was needed.

More
28 Oct 2014 23:55 #38733 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
I personally hope they opt for the older costumes rather than the fighter pilot outfit, though they've planted the seed that it will be the updated version, saying that she's an interstellar adventurer.

Ideally, I would love to see the "newer, original" version that Moonstone wore in the most recent series, but I think it's merely wishful thinking.

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2014 03:06 #38741 by DustyBottums
Replied by DustyBottums on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
Seconded. The newer update of the original Ms. Marvel costume that Moonstone wore is hot stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
29 Oct 2014 03:47 #38743 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
Hope they don't do the thing where they introduce her in another movie first ala Wonder Woman. Ms. Marvel is a character i think who needs to breath a little to get the full grasp of what the character could do. The defining characteristic of her is kinda of Powerful Superhero who is proud of her powers both as a superhero and a woman.. You need to get there. Not so much the origin(which i don't know how there going to do) but in the heros journey. Shes a great reluctant hero type.

More
29 Oct 2014 08:47 #38745 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!

castor wrote: Hope they don't do the thing where they introduce her in another movie first ala Wonder Woman. Ms. Marvel is a character i think who needs to breath a little to get the full grasp of what the character could do. The defining characteristic of her is kinda of Powerful Superhero who is proud of her powers both as a superhero and a woman.. You need to get there. Not so much the origin(which i don't know how there going to do) but in the heros journey. Shes a great reluctant hero type.

I think that a couple of nods to her already appeared throughout Agents of Shield and Guardians of the Galaxy, since both productions implied the possibility of human/alien hybrids, hence I think that it's more likely for us to see her introduced as Carol and later as her superheroic persona.

More
29 Oct 2014 14:04 #38747 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
Since she's not that well known it sounds like she'll get her origin story in her film itself.

That said I'd except her to cameo as Carol Danvers pre power in one of the films prior if only to show off who they cast as her.

Unless they debut her in cap 3 with Black Panther.

That doesn't seem likely though.

More
29 Oct 2014 14:37 #38748 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
This is just my opinion so I have nothing to base this on but I think we will see Carol "pre-power" in some movie (perhaps AAOU) and then the accident will happen that grants her her powers in another film (GOTG 2) and then her powers manifest in her own film.

Just a guess...

More
29 Oct 2014 14:51 #38749 by kshoo
Replied by kshoo on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
I am worried. Very Very Worried. Given that the female sole superhero movies are only coming out in 2017 (WW) and 2018 (Captain Marvel), me thinks that within the next 3 years movie-goers would have tire of the entire genre. And we all know movie studios live and die by the earnings - once they start to drop, the later movies would have a very high chance of being cancelled.

Not trying to burst everyone's bubble, but I do think that this superhero trend? Disney/Marvel and WB are just flooding the market with too many titles. While there is a plan, is it too much, too soon? Time will tell i guess.

More
29 Oct 2014 16:57 #38751 by jimbob
I think Winter Soldier and GoTG showed that you can have a superhero movie be more than just that. WS was a spy thriller and GoTG was a sci fi movie on top of just "Guy with powers fight a bad guy"

By that token I think Marvel's future is secure. If people flocked to see GoTG which stared a Marvel hero nobody really cared about and a talking racoon they'll definite go out Captain Marvel.

DC....well they aren't so secure.

I also wouldn't worry about genre tiring. People haven't really gotten tired of a genre in almost two decades now. (Look at all the crime/cop shows)

More
29 Oct 2014 17:03 #38752 by TwiceOnThursdays
To paraphrase another meme: Doesn't matter, got movies.

That is, at this point it'd be hard to stop the juggernaut from making the slated DC/Marvel movies (contracts, scheduling, etc). That means no matter what happens, we'll likely get Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. I suppose Superman/batman tanking, and bad press for Gal's Wonder Woman in that movie could stop her movie from getting made -- but by the time it's released I suspect they'll have gone a bit too far to stop that.

And Marvel's movie strategy seems to be founded on "everyone else has no idea what they are doing". re: release a block buster filled with unknown characters in August, and shatter august records. I suspect if Wonder Woman fails, they'll still have faith that THEY know how to make a good movie, and will continue thinking that until their first flop. (That might be coming up with Ant Man, considering the problems with the director, etc. We'll see how it turns out.)

Considering that up til now there hasn't ever been a "right time", I'll take it even if they don't do well in the box office. I just hope they're good movies. (I suspect if they are the box office will take care of itself).

yes, this onslaught will peter out at some point -- all the tv shows might lead to fatiuge. OTH, this stuff is pretty hot right now, and has been for a few years. It seems that people's interests have not (yet) be sated. I had non-comic book reading/movie watching friends tell me about Guardians.

The alternative is to never ever get these movies....

More
24 Mar 2015 22:09 #41138 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
comicbookmovies.com via Latino Review say that the role of Carol Danvers has been casted , but Marvel is keeping her identity secret for now. She will appear in some form in Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

More
24 Mar 2015 23:11 #41139 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!

AJF wrote: comicbookmovies.com via Latino Review say that the role of Carol Danvers has been casted , but Marvel is keeping her identity secret for now. She will appear in some form in Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

Latino Review is very hit AND miss on their rumours so I'd take it with a grain of salt. That said, Joss Whedon has made it public that there are three new characters (maybe five) still to be named that will appear in Avengers 2.

Capt. Marvel would make sense at least in comic book canon. The idea of casting her also makes sense seeing that they've already cast Black Panther and Doc Strange. Anyone care to speculate who it is?

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Mar 2015 23:40 #41140 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
aintitcoolnews.com is reporting the same thing as well. Jim Starlin may be involved in the film as a consultant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
25 Mar 2015 02:21 - 25 Mar 2015 02:21 #41141 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Capitan Marvel Just Made Official!
Makes a little sence-

Carol Danvers started out as "Hey i am a background Air force character " before gaining powers and her own book. I doubt it would be anything major(if anything Avengers 2 looks a touch overpacked with characters) most likely "Hey Danvers can you use your gun to shoot hulk?" at the most...

But well I am not sure that is by itself that intresting-quite frankly not that much. Captian Marvel i find best the more normal she is as a baseline-to have her enter the superheroic world i think is a better movie then, shes already there.

It is true for what ever reason Black Panthers Arch Nemesis the Klaw is defiently in the movie, so i suspect he is to-but yeah. I would be curious how they are going to make a story about that conflict(which is albiet a hard one to do in 2015 as its all about Colonialism) after presumibily hes a sub sub villian in avengers.

Basically You can make the Argument that Avengers was good cause "Well here are all the characters we established in the previous movies!! let see them together". Its not as good an argument to say "Lets establish a dozen new characters here for them to be cool with"

As for who plays Carol-Emily Blunt has been the story for years, which is something she has kind of distanced herself from in either a "I don't want to" or "I am waiting for a contract and check to sign" kinda way. Beyond that i donno.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 02:21 by castor.

More
25 Mar 2015 13:22 #41142 by jimbob
I'm guessing their banking on the same thing that happened with Widow and Falcon, who became popular characters the audience wanted to see more of after being a minor character in another heroes movie. So they've decided the best way to push all these more obscure secondary Avengers is to have them show up briefly in Ultron.

They might be going a little too far with too many but I can see the point. They'll likely get more people to see a Captain Marvel movie with "It's that woman that looked potentially interesting for a moment in Ultron. Now she's a hero! Isn't that interesting." than "Go this movie about this random woman hero none of you know and or care about yet."

I except a Hawkeye in Thor type scene. She'll show up for about 30 second to shoot something, make a quip and basically go "I'll be important later on." and then vanish.

More
26 Mar 2015 05:17 #41150 by TwiceOnThursdays
Interesting tidbit about Hawkeye in Thor.

All those scenes were filmed AFTER the fact and stitched in. Just some of the magic you can do with some creative editing. (At least this is what I recall reading about the movie.)

Still amazed we didn't get a Hawkeye and/or Black Widow movie.

I do suspect we'll get her in an isolated scene (easy to snip into the movie), or she'll be in the ending credit blip.

More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds