Amount

Indie superheroines

02 Dec 2014 01:09 - 02 Dec 2014 01:21 #39216 by castor
Indie superheroines was created by castor
The discussion on The Fly brought an interesting question to mind.

Since i am a reasonably sure where not going to see more From DC and Marvel from the genre(well the half dozen properties they have ancounced in the last couple of months but who cares about them)... i was curious what independent comics would you like to see in movie(or TV form).

I recently raved a lot about Sparks, which was based on a small comicpress book and made for a low budget-have thought about the idea of something like that in the future. Something maybe a little bit more based on ideas then on action-but who knows.

Any ideas?
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 01:21 by castor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Dec 2014 03:13 #39218 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Indie superheroines
- Fatale (film noir/femme fatale meets Cthulhu)
- Lazarus -- this might need more special effects, but I think you could probably stage things a bit. Not sure how you'd frame it in a movie though.
- Just about anything by Terry Moore -- though I'd be surprised if those were not already optioned (and they aren't super hero comics, nor are they really the faire we talk about here. OTH, if you've not read Strangers in Paradise, uh go do that. And Rachel Rising is a pretty good horror comic that has it's own style. Echo is interesting too.)
- in the vein of Fatale the other Brubaker works (incognito, sleeper, etc). Those are probably fairly easy to film. These also have a crime noir feel to them, and aren't normal super hero stuff.

But all the above? If they aren't optioned someone isn't doing their homework. ...

- Silver -- i was upset that this vampire story just sort of ... never finished two issues. Issue 2 introduces a kick ass woman vampire hunter.
Revival: in the light of the popularity of The Walking Dead, I'd be surprised if this wasn't optioned already....

Maybe Noble Causes (about a family of Super heroes, more about the drama than the super powers). Or the Uniques (very small press, but I really enjoyed it), you can get it from DriveThru comics). The uniques story line might require too much effects budget but you could probably rework it a bit to make it easier to film. I'll have to dig out my GN and re-read it. (I meant to do this anyway.)

Too bad Ultra was optioned and failed. The new luna brothers novels Alex+Ada is good (the sword is interesting too). I think Alex+ada would be easier to film.

There are probably a zillion things lurking somewhere in my memory. I would probably have not remembered to list Fly for instance. I'll see if I can jog some older things loose (I love to troll the $1 comic bins and that makes me remember comics that Id' forgotten about...) And I've always bought a lot of independents.

Hmm. old school:

Maze Agency (not super heroes, but had a nice strong female lead (not super strong, just capable and she was the one who could take care of her self)

I'll see what else I can think about.

More
02 Dec 2014 03:31 #39219 by HeroineFX
Replied by HeroineFX on topic Indie superheroines
Femforce!

(...and Stormy Tempest!)

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
02 Dec 2014 04:08 #39220 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Indie superheroines
Agree, with Fatale, but the heroine from the Broadway comics incarnation. She is perhaps one of my favorite characters of all time.

I agree that Noble Causes is tailor made for TV as well....good call. Since we're on an Image kick, I'd throw in Dynamo 5 to the mix as well.

Of course, Femforce would be on my dream list as well!

Other indies? Hmm...... Mario Gully's Ant, while over the top in the T & A category the way it's drawn, would make a great, dark-themed series for TV I think.

ElF

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: - Fatale (film noir/femme fatale meets Cthulhu)
- Lazarus -- this might need more special effects, but I think you could probably stage things a bit. Not sure how you'd frame it in a movie though.
- Just about anything by Terry Moore -- though I'd be surprised if those were not already optioned (and they aren't super hero comics, nor are they really the faire we talk about here. OTH, if you've not read Strangers in Paradise, uh go do that. And Rachel Rising is a pretty good horror comic that has it's own style. Echo is interesting too.)
- in the vein of Fatale the other Brubaker works (incognito, sleeper, etc). Those are probably fairly easy to film. These also have a crime noir feel to them, and aren't normal super hero stuff.

But all the above? If they aren't optioned someone isn't doing their homework. ...

- Silver -- i was upset that this vampire story just sort of ... never finished two issues. Issue 2 introduces a kick ass woman vampire hunter.
Revival: in the light of the popularity of The Walking Dead, I'd be surprised if this wasn't optioned already....

Maybe Noble Causes (about a family of Super heroes, more about the drama than the super powers). Or the Uniques (very small press, but I really enjoyed it), you can get it from DriveThru comics). The uniques story line might require too much effects budget but you could probably rework it a bit to make it easier to film. I'll have to dig out my GN and re-read it. (I meant to do this anyway.)

Too bad Ultra was optioned and failed. The new luna brothers novels Alex+Ada is good (the sword is interesting too). I think Alex+ada would be easier to film.

There are probably a zillion things lurking somewhere in my memory. I would probably have not remembered to list Fly for instance. I'll see if I can jog some older things loose (I love to troll the $1 comic bins and that makes me remember comics that Id' forgotten about...) And I've always bought a lot of independents.

Hmm. old school:

Maze Agency (not super heroes, but had a nice strong female lead (not super strong, just capable and she was the one who could take care of her self)

More
02 Dec 2014 06:16 - 02 Dec 2014 06:22 #39223 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Indie superheroines
Hope the option on Ultra expires at some point and they can have a real go at it.

Its a good idea, that i think i would rather see as a movie then a TV Show--its a day in the life story, but its a kind of deceptive one for it. TV tends to be a more quiet media then film-but somehow i think its a little to quiet for TV. (also Lena Heady was really miscast).

It would be a great movie to showcase a young actress as it really is mostly her reactions to things of a life of a superheroine(and also be kind of a metaphor of life as a celebrity). The TV show tried to do a lot of voice over and naraation-but one of the books real strengths is doesn't have that stuff-it tries to convey it all just in her face.

If you could get away with a superhero movie with no real villain, not a lot of plot and mainly mood-I could see like a real small movie be kind of neat.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 06:22 by castor.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Dec 2014 06:38 #39224 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Indie superheroines

lfan wrote:

[/quote]

Haven't read every issue but I think the uniques could work.

Uniques i think gets a lot of its charm from its over the top comicbook action-which is less a budget issue then how its shot.. Iron man the comics action is a lot diffrent then iron man the movie- but i think with a clever director and a modestish budget that could work for it. Its not the hulk punching Loki that costs money, its trying to make it realistic. I wouldn't tone it down-i would make it over the top.

That said Its a comic that gains a lot from its issue by issue run, which is hard to make 120 minute movie...but who knows possible.

Castor

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds