Amount

New Jem Trailer

13 May 2015 02:31 - 13 May 2015 05:06 #41931 by castor
New Jem Trailer was created by castor

...This is the Trailer for Jem and Holograms. A show that in its orignal 80s run i think you could possibly classify as superheroine, or at least dealt with the same ideas to a degree. I'll admit Kid me kinda liked the show. It was a goofy mix of music and adventure, and it did a kind of clever version of the idea of a Secret identity and what that meant to someones life

This one....no. Not doing much for me. Have read online people say this looks way to serious-but the show did it take it self seriously-it just constantly featured boat chases, Sci Fi magic, and other extreme goofiness that made the serious stuff kind of stick out a touch. And yes. The Misfits. Whose Songs where in fact better, and provided at least a kind of weird campy villany to the show that really worked better then it should. I am not necessarily opposed to taking out the Scifi elemens, but the show seems only to be touching on the secret identity stuff(Though i guess playing around with the idea that the general public sees her as something else is an idea, and kinda realistic..but yeah realism is not what i am looking for). this looks melodromatic if nothing else. and....ehhh.

and as said i am the 30 something that this seems marketed towards. So..i guess i am not suficently pandered to.

Whether the series was ever Truley Truely outragious or not...it made a good faith effort. And this isn't.

Do check out the Comicbook. Which is cute and has a couple of intresting ideas on making the entire cast intresting and like the bright art work.

Last edit: 13 May 2015 05:06 by lfan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 May 2015 18:48 #41943 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New Jem Trailer
This looks like they took a fun show (that I never watched) sucked out all that made it unique/fun/interesting, and then turned it into a standard story of the perils of fame.

It feels like we've seen this movie more than a few times. I mean it still could be good, but it's like wasting making a "Jem and the Holograms" movie. Why pay for the name when you could have just switched the name of the band and had the same story?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
13 May 2015 18:56 - 13 May 2015 18:57 #41944 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic New Jem Trailer
"From the people who have done nothing but bring you fluff-trash loosely based in the music industry, a re-telling of the only plot we have, repainted with names stolen from your childhood with all the warmth and sincerity of a gang of grave-robbers lead by a necrophiliac..."

I LOVE the little opportunities life gives me to vote 'NO' with my wallet and my word of mouth.
Last edit: 13 May 2015 18:57 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
13 May 2015 20:18 - 13 May 2015 20:19 #41950 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New Jem Trailer

AuGoose wrote: "From the people who have done nothing but bring you fluff-trash loosely based in the music industry, a re-telling of the only plot we have, repainted with names stolen from your childhood with all the warmth and sincerity of a gang of grave-robbers lead by a necrophiliac..."

I LOVE the little opportunities life gives me to vote 'NO' with my wallet and my word of mouth.

Lots of people seem to have this kind of reaction and I can see why.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 13 May 2015 20:19 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, AuGoose

More
14 May 2015 00:40 #41977 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic New Jem Trailer
I thought Jem was an actual superheroine, not just a rock star.

More
14 May 2015 02:15 #41980 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Jem Trailer

Agent00Soul wrote: I thought Jem was an actual superheroine, not just a rock star.

Show played a little on the edge here-she was never a go out and fight crime type, but ineviatably something horrible would happen and she would do something to stop it.

this...no. Though i got to say in a better Movie Audrey Peebles may have been a good casting choice.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 May 2015 17:07 #42002 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Jem Trailer
Actually this struck me something as a way of compare and contrast

The New Supergirl Trailer feels a lot like Jem (the original).

Take a for lack of a better word Femalish fantasy about a dream job(publishing company in one, rock star in the other) which is mostly played for Soap operaish drama and romantic angst.... and add Science fiction action, and goofiness to it.

Thats the original Jem.

Of course this version.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds