Amount

Fantastic Four the Critic's choice

06 Aug 2015 23:38 #43508 by Markiehoe
Fantastic Four the Critic's choice was created by Markiehoe
The critics are HAMMERING Josh Trank's Fantastic Four.

As of right now it has a 10% Rotten score on the Rotten Tomatoes site.
Slightly up from it's 8% score from just a while ago.

www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

A friend of mine has seen it and he said this when I asked him about Invisible Woman:
"It isn't so much that she had a small part it's just that she doesn't register as a character, so much so that the other characters forget her midway through the film."

Wow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Aug 2015 00:13 #43509 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
I've seen the movie, and in a word, it's the worst superhero movie since green lantern, no strike that it's even worse than that.

the worst movie ever.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Aug 2015 00:17 #43510 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
Fats,

What was your impression of the Invisible Woman character?

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Aug 2015 00:29 #43511 by fats
weak, underused and not in keeping with the comics.

i cant tell you how bad the film is.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Aug 2015 05:12 #43513 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
Didn't Josh Trank admit on Twitter that his version of the film is not the version that Fox released? Wouldn't be surprised if the film was micromanaged to death by the suits at Fox.

More
07 Aug 2015 07:06 #43514 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
Well since the word going around is the director was drunk most shooting days, I'm not sure how much I'd want to see his "vision". This is one of those movies so bad that if you really wanted to distance yourself, you should have walked off the set six months ago, not tried to spin it after the poo impacted the rotary oscillator.

More
07 Aug 2015 09:09 #43515 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
This isn't the worst movie ever. Seriously. ;-) It's better than the Roger Corman Fantastic Four for example. I also didn't want to walk out in the middle like I contemplated doing during Man of Steel (which is pretty unique as I can't think of another movie where the thought even crossed my mind). MoS IS a much better movie though -- for one it's effects are loads better.

I enjoyed it, but I went in with low expectations. And I still won't say it's a great movie -- it's not. Just that I sat in the theatre and had a fun time, but if you need to see a movie go see Ant-Man, Mission Impossible (Rebecca Ferguseon is worth watching!!!), or even Mr. Holmes.

The movie couldn't figure out what it wanted to be, and shifted tone several times. It had plenty of time to focus on developing relationships with characters, but somehow (at best) gave characters one tiny scene to do that,and didn't do a good job of it. It never really developed Victor Von Doom (before or after Dr. Doom) and I really hated their Dr. Doom. He's just a rich villain to waste like that, and doing so left the movie without a spine. Doom isn't afraid to kill, but he doesn't go around just doing so willy-nilly either.

We get one Sue-Johnny interaction, we get one Read-Sue moment, we get a bit of Reed-Ben (it's the start of the movie), but for all the minutes they spend on that, they didn't do that good of a job at showing the two's relationship. We're left to fill that data in from what we are shown. There is literally ZERO Johnny-Ben until the last minute of the movie, and no reason for someone to LET Ben going on their first trip. This would have been easy to fix with some script tweaks. Seriously the FF is about FAMILY, and they didn't focus on building those relationships?

I generally do not like intermingling Dr. Doom's origin with the Fantastic Four -- they're a story of family, and to put their chief rival there is odd. OTH, in the latest FF stories, Valeria goes and lives and trains with him and he's Uncle Victor. So in that sense he's now part of the modern FF family story, so retelling it with him there isn't _too_ bad.

Reed comes across as a bit wishy-washy. He doesn't even show marginal spine until the end of the movie. Johnny comes across well. The Thing is just angry (which to be fair, he can be a bit grumpy).

And I don't fully agree with Fat's assessment of Sue. If you go by the Ultimates Fantastic Four, she's reasonably close (she's still into science, and into biology like Ultimates Sue, they added this "pattern matching savant' trait though). She does ... fade into the background a bit. Mostly as she's not playing ball with the government. She does show a bit of power (I still say she's the most powerful of them in the movie), and is a good player in the fight at the end vs. Doom.

She has the same power set: invisibility, turn other things invisible, and force fields. (We never get to see if she can turn the invisible visible.) The only change is that her fields seem to air tight and she has to hold her breath (since she does do this to others in the comic, this is probably true there too -- it's just never held when she's shielding herself.)

But they can't figure out which Sue they want. The original Sue who felt invisible, or the kick-ass Science-Smart Sue from the Ultimates, or the modern Sue Richards from the comics. It'd be nice to have had her show a bit more personality and gumption. They even cut her out of the origin and shoe-horned in Doom! That's probably the worst sin of the movie.

They mis-use Sue, but they mis-use just about everyone in the movie. And they waste screen time for idiotic stuff -- Reed runs away and they run the clock for a year and waste 15 minutes of a movie that could be better spent. Like building the characters, their relationships, and explaining Victor better.

The biggest change is they seem to need their suits to control their powers. (I am not terribly fond of this conceit.) Well and Doom is just totally something new.

I think all the actors did the jobs they were asked to do. I don't think the script was very good, and the director didn't now what movie he was filming, and the editor couldn't really find a movie in what was handed to him.

This move demonstrates why you shouldn't always do an origin story. The FF does pretty well in the fight at the end, and in the final scenes of the movie (the showdown with the government). If they started THERE, they'd have good characters, some chemistry, and a good place to make a movie from. This entire movie seemed like it should have been the 5-10 minute recap at the beginning of a REAL Fantastic Four story. A lot of screen time is wasted muddling around to get to the FF as the FF. Why not start there? And get better script writers who can demonstrate character personality/relationships better/faster/less screen time.

So yeah, the movie isn't really that good. But I still had a fun time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sonofjack

More
07 Aug 2015 13:28 #43517 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice

andyf wrote: Didn't Josh Trank admit on Twitter that his version of the film is not the version that Fox released? Wouldn't be surprised if the film was micromanaged to death by the suits at Fox.

The blame game starts as the creator distances himself from his project

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fa...?utm_source=facebook

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Aug 2015 21:09 #43519 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
The movie is a 90 minute build up for a payoff that never really happens.

More
07 Aug 2015 21:23 #43520 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
Wow, what a disaster. :pinch: :pinch:

Sounds like Tank should have just walked away like Wright did from Ant Man.

More
07 Aug 2015 21:41 #43522 by unseen_unheard
Replied by unseen_unheard on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
I wonder how much of this that made it to the screen does Trank say is his. Of the stuff that didn't make it was it shot? Was it at least storyboarded? If most of what he wanted didn't make it then maybe he should have left the project. If he thinks a few changes, rearrangements, and such would have represented his vision, then I'm doubtful since all I'm hearing is that the entire thing is a slog.

More
08 Aug 2015 10:55 #43528 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
Sigh, I feared that it would come down to this. F4 has the unfortunate fate of being considered a superheroes comic while it's not.
As Twice noted F4 is mostly a comic revolving a round family dynamics with a sci-fi twist. The family dynamic is rather unique among superhero comics and it's one of the most (if not "the") distinctive trait of F4. From what I read the problem here is that the movie tried to mash up various eras and incarnations of the comics with an heavy accent on the super action rather than the character dynamics, resulting an uneven mess that took the less interesting elements of each character.

More
13 Aug 2015 18:34 #43633 by fats
Fantastic Four 2 has been cancelled, deadpool2 green lighted

vertigology.com/2015/08/11/fantastic-fou...ighted-in-its-place/

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Aug 2015 19:14 #43634 by unseen_unheard
Replied by unseen_unheard on topic Fantastic Four the Critic's choice
I was worried that overseas markets and contractual obligations would have meant another FF movie whether we wanted it or not. I'm glad that's not the case!

More
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds