Amount

Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel

11 Aug 2015 16:18 #43567 by www1969
Or "Miss Marvel" or "Ms. Marvel" or...whatever...

comicbook.com/2015/08/11/ronda-rousey-wants-to-play-ms-marvel/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• www1969
  • www1969's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2015 16:56 #43569 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
If I say "no" will I be booed out of the forums?

More
11 Aug 2015 17:01 #43570 by unseen_unheard
Replied by unseen_unheard on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
If it were all about real-life fighting, then sure. It's just I don't see her as much of an actor. I'd be fine with her as an evil costumed henchwoman but not as a lead.

More
11 Aug 2015 17:46 #43571 by fats
sorry, i don’t see it happening, she's not got the beauty to be ms marvel, she's too butch in the face.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Aug 2015 17:54 #43572 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
I'm gonna go with...er.....no.

Great fighter, can't see her as a lead actress though.

Actually check that. Why the hell not? We got Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Why not Rhonda as Capt. Marvel?

A couple of years ago, the internet favourite to play her (Capt. Marvel) was Katee Sackhoff. I think she may might be a bit to old now, but who knows.

I would probably give Rhonda Rousey an audition. If she was competent enough acting wise, sure go for it.

Peace.

/K

P.S. I am not the most "knowledgable" Capt. Marvel/Carol Danvers fan, but just googling some images of both, I can see her physically in the role personally.

More
11 Aug 2015 17:57 #43573 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
Physically, I can see it, perhaps.

I haven't seen her act, but I suspect she is not good.

Captain Marvel needs a top-tier actress with the chops to blow the part out of the water and the commitment to train. Emily Blunt and Charlize Theron are at the top of my list. If it's a relative newcomer, she needs to be amazing. I want Captain Marvel to be Marvel's biggest franchise going into the 20's.

Sorry, Rhonda, fighters aren't gonna cut it.

- GeekSeven

More
11 Aug 2015 18:04 #43574 by unseen_unheard

fats wrote: sorry, i don’t see it happening, she's not got the beauty to be ms marvel, she's too butch in the face.

Fats

What's interesting is that I think I she's real-life attractive, but there's real-life attractive and then there's Hollywood attractive and I agree that Ronda Rousey isn't at that level.

More
11 Aug 2015 19:30 #43575 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel

kikass2014 wrote: I'm gonna go with...er.....no.

Great fighter, can't see her as a lead actress though.

Actually check that. Why the hell not? We got Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Why not Rhonda as Capt. Marvel?

A couple of years ago, the internet favourite to play her (Capt. Marvel) was Katee Sackhoff. I think she may might be a bit to old now, but who knows.

I would probably give Rhonda Rousey an audition. If she was competent enough acting wise, sure go for it.

Peace.

/K

P.S. I am not the most "knowledgable" Capt. Marvel/Carol Danvers fan, but just googling some images of both, I can see her physically in the role personally.

This is a good way for Marvel to kick sand in DC's face. DC has Gal Gadot, skinny and insubstantial, and it would be totally cool if Marvel went with Rhonda, who is built like a concrete bunker. That would get the tongues wagging, and illustrate the point that women can come in all shapes and sizes and still be interesting. If the script calls for Ms. Marvel to kick ass (which she was very prone to do, whenever possible, in the comics, even when she shouldn't have), then Rhonda can do that. At least she wouldn't need a stunt double for the fight scenes.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
11 Aug 2015 19:39 #43576 by lfan
I'm gonna go with a big no to this one. She is certainly built for the part, but I would hope Marvel would entrust their "female future" on a more established (or up and coming) actress -- not someone whose major film credit is Expendables 3.....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, inactive

More
11 Aug 2015 22:28 #43577 by kikass2014
Then by the same token, do you accept DC basing their "female future", nay the most iconic female comic book character, on someone who's major film credit is Fast and the Furious?

Just curious.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
12 Aug 2015 02:03 #43579 by enchantederotica
Replied by enchantederotica on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
I agree with Maria Hill.

(ignore the last bit)

Supernautral women with superpowered sex-drives: www.enchantederotica.com

• enchantederotica
More
12 Aug 2015 02:37 #43580 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
I don't think Rhonda needs to be in a movie. I much prefer the real life no nonsense fighter to any pretending she could do on film..

So I'm in the no camp, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a BIG no. I find her to be one of the most fascinating women in the world, and playing ms Marvel might detract from that.

More
12 Aug 2015 02:48 #43581 by enchantederotica
While not anything to really brag about ... she was in Expendables 3.

• enchantederotica
More
12 Aug 2015 04:02 #43584 by lfan

kikass2014 wrote: Then by the same token, do you accept DC basing their "female future", nay the most iconic female comic book character, on someone who's major film credit is Fast and the Furious?

Just curious.

Peace.

/K

Point taken.....however, If you asked me prior to her casting if Gal Gadot should be the next WW, I'd probably have said no as well. Similarly, if Rhonda IS cast as Ms M, I'd still see it and wouldn't pitch a fit. I just think there are several others ID like to see in the role.

ElF

More
12 Aug 2015 05:03 #43586 by inactive
I won't get into the relative quality of the movies, because I know people have strong opinions, but I think DC and Marvel are in very different positions with their movies. The success of Avengers/Guardians has evened things up a little, but DC has THE iconic heroes: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman.

They could put a shop window dummy in a Batman suit and get away with it (cough-Val Kilmer-cough), for a while at least. I feel like they have more latitude with Wondy than Marvel do with Carol Danvers, because people are going to see the character - the icon - before they see Gal.

Characters in the second tier of the cultural zeitgeist can't carry things by just showing up. We saw that with Fantastic Four crashing and burning. As much as I love Carol Danvers, she's in the second or third tier. Hell, most people who know the name Captain Marvel still think of Billy Batson. Marvel need to hit all the bases to make her work - actress, script, direction, marketing.

Casting an MMA fighter with minimal acting experience would basically be telling the world that Marvel take Captain Marvel about as seriously as SyFy take Sharknado. In my opinion.

So, my vote would be no... hell, no!

- GeekSeven

More
12 Aug 2015 19:22 #43598 by jdrock24
I was wondering how long this thread would take to devolve into a yet another "Gal Gadot bashing" thread. Judging from the responses above, not very long.

Back on topic though, I just don't see Rousey as an actress capable of carrying a solo superheroine movie. Could she handle the physical aspects? No question that she could. Could she handle the other aspects? I don't think so.

That's not to say that she couldn't make her way into the comic book movie genre in some other way. Perhaps a sidekick or a bodyguard for a villain? A role that would have perfect for her would have been Mercy Graves (the bodyguard for Lex Luthor in the old Bruce Timm animated universe). Before you say anything, I know that the role is being played by Tao Akamoto (sp?) in the BM v SM movie coming up. What we don't know is if Mercy is written or used in the same way as the old animated universe. Rousey would have perfect for a straight live action adaptation of the character.

More
12 Aug 2015 20:01 #43600 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
If Captain Marvel was a straight up action movie and talented writers wrote to Ronda's strengths she could easily pull it off.

I recently just saw a Gina Carano movie, the name escapes me right now, where she had a lot of fight scenes and her dialogue was short and to the point.
I was really entertained.
She did just fine and that movie was a really low budget affair.

Pay a good writer a nice salary and we are set.

More
12 Aug 2015 22:20 #43603 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Ronda Rousey wants to play Captain Marvel
There was a line which i often quote about acting. it comes from Richard Matheson about the performance in one of his epsiodes of Twilight Zone- "He did something with the part. It wasn't the right thing, but it was *something*, which was better then everyone else"

Rousey has that quality.

Is Rousey the prettiest woman? No, but she looks good and does look belivably cut and fit, mixed with a sence of attractive. Someone described Zoey Deschenal as "Well if you had a couple of drinks and she had a couple of drinks maybe it would happen". Rousey is completly diffrent but thesame.

Is Rousey the best actress in the world? No. She good at playing herself as an action heroine, though she hasn't done anything yet where she really has to star in something its hard to gauge.

Is Rousey a good at action ? Very, though i am going to guess Ms. Marvel is 50/50 CGI and the kind of physical stunts where you don't actually touch each other-though if some of that did enter it can help.

But she does bring something-its not humor persay though she can be funny. Its a sence of physiciality of presence of competence at what she does. Her persona maybe a modern actoin heroine-but its also a little bit more relaxed then that, a little more jockular

I am not going to lie. Antman and Avengers 2 both really left me cold this summer. Avengers as it felt like a contract negotiation searching for a movie, Antman as lets find a werid way of doing Iron Man 4(and yeah that movie does feel weirdly Misagiouns-it tries to justify it, but its there). I am getting Marvel Creak here. With an exception here and there more and more they seem to be keep trying to remake Iron man in diffrent forms, and i am getting a little tired of that .

What made Iron Man good is it felt diffrent- a good mix of comedy in a superhero movie- around a character that does feel unique- The cool nerd, A man who is superfically funny charming and iresponsible, overlying a man who is clearly a bit of a withdrawn and to smart for his own good. That is something you hadn't really seen in movie before So many marvel movies try to replace that with-lets add the comedy and attitude-but not give us something unique.

If they cast more establish actress- your probabbly going to get a very pretty actress playing a standard woman warrior mixed with wry marvel jokes around her. She'll probbabbly handle the Dramatic momments well enough, and the action scenes well enough. This maybe fun, maybe not..but not real something. And probabbly kind of bland.

(and don't fool yourself: its not going to be an A list Actress today. Most marvel movies are all about Finding a fresh unkown they can lock into a contract rather then some famous)

Marvel and Disney despite making a metric fuckton on Frozen, which i would argue is a female suphero movie...really doesn't seem to want to do this. Capt Marvel seems very much a bregruding movie. And the fact that it has been radio silent for the last year(i think part of that is that they want to stay out of the way of Supergirl and Jessica Jones). I don't think they would cast Rousey

But Rousey would be something.

Would it be a good something, or the right something? well donno, but something.

More
13 Aug 2015 00:13 #43608 by kikass2014
I would agree with your assessment Castor. I agree, I don't ever see her being classed as a great actress. But the thing with comic book films, imo, is that they don't need GREAT or high-profile actors. You just need to embody the character you are playing. These aren't Shakespearean characters, and as such I wouldn't expect performances of that calibre. This isn't to say that you should just grab any actor and have them "phone-in" a performance though.

In general, I think Marvel has been pretty good with their casting decisions. Who would have thought that Chris Hemsworth would pull off Thor the way he has. Or Chris Evans portraying Cap like he has done. Chris Pratt as Star Lord. And ofc, RDJ knocking it out of the park with Tony Stark/Iron Man. I could go on. With the exception of RDJ, I don't think any of them were seen as high-profile actors before their stint began at Marvel. Maybe I'm wrong.

Have they been a hit on all casting fronts? Probably not. A lot of ppl say Scarlett Johannson just doesn't work as Black Widow. I personally think she is passable, but I don't really think its that much of a problem personally. I'm sure the others mentioned above don't live up to some ppls exact image of those characters. However to the MAJORITY I would say they do. Hence the box office takings being proof of this.

Can I see them casting Rousey as Capt. Marvel? Yes. Will they? Probably not, but who knows. Would I see the film if they did? Yes. Would I see it if they didn't? Yes. But the biggest point to me is, Can I see her in the part? And that is a "Yes".

In addition, I think what she can bring, and I'll quote Castor on this as he summed it up rather well:

"she does bring something - its not humour per-say though she can be funny. Its a sense of physicality, of presence, of competence at what she does. Her persona maybe a modern action heroine-but its also a little bit more relaxed then that, a little more jocular"

Someone mentioned Charlize Theron as being a better fit for the part. I would disagree with this. She is TOO good an actress, and TOO pretty. She wouldn't fit the part, physically or even as a presence, imo. The other one mentioned was Emily Blunt. I personally think she would be awesome in the role. Good actress, and can look the part (example being Edge of Tomorrow).

Totally agree Markiehoe:

"Pay a good writer a nice salary and we are set."

Look forward to seeing this film when it comes out.

Peace.

/K

P.S. "I was wondering how long this thread would take to devolve into a yet another "Gal Gadot bashing" thread. Judging from the responses above, not very long." I couldn't resist responding as this seems aimed at me.
This isn't "Gal Gadot bashing". The comparison is a fair one, especially with regards to Lfan's point. Don't know why you are so quick to defend her all the time. Sorry that the majority of opinion is against you with regards to her being cast as WW, but I've already said I'm willing to give her a shot. Still, that doesn't change the fact that, physically, she does not embody the part, or have the presence of Wonder Woman imo.

More
13 Aug 2015 01:43 #43616 by inactive

castor wrote: I am not going to lie. Antman and Avengers 2 both really left me cold this summer. Avengers as it felt like a contract negotiation searching for a movie, Antman as lets find a werid way of doing Iron Man 4(and yeah that movie does feel weirdly Misagiouns-it tries to justify it, but its there). I am getting Marvel Creak here. With an exception here and there more and more they seem to be keep trying to remake Iron man in diffrent forms, and i am getting a little tired of that .

Avengers 2 and Antman entertained and angered me in equal parts.

Avengers 2 was a plane crash that Whedon managed to land without casualties, but still a plane crash. The less said about Romanov/Banner, the better.

In Antman, I feel like their attempted justifications for the misogyny make it worse. The writers KNOW and ADMIT in the story that it makes no sense to bring Scott Lang in instead of Hope putting on the suit, but they do it anyway because god forbid we have a movie that isn't about another 30/40 something bland white dude. And by the way, Paul Rudd is the living, breathing personification of the 30/40 something bland white dude. I thought they'd reached maximum bland white dudeness with Chris Pratt (and I loved GOTG), but somehow they raised the bar. Blander! Whiter! Dudier!

And I speak as a bland 40-something white dude myself.

I was entertained, but mostly by Scott Lang's buddies (Luis!) and Hope's DELICIOUS hairdo.

In the end, I couldn't even bring myself to rant about it to my friends. I've said it too many times before. I'm just tired. I'm sick of being expected to be satisfied with scraps. I don't want Antman, I want WASP! I don't want ANOTHER FUCKING SPIDER MAN, I want Silk or Spider Woman. I don't want to wait until 2018 for a Captain Marvel movie.

- GeekSeven

More
13 Aug 2015 02:38 #43619 by enchantederotica
I think it comes down to if you like REAL muscles or SUPER muscles. To that I say “to each their own”, but having Capt. Marvel ACTUALLY be super-buff ruins the “super”-ness of her super strength. We expect a giant, green, super-muscle guy to throw trucks, but not so much Thor. IMO, a skinny blonde girl throwing a truck through the air is much more super (and sexy) than some muscly-cage-fighting-buff chick.

Marvel MCU’s track record for casting is top notch (although I am still kind of on the fence about Punisher. We’ll wait and see.). I am sure they will cast someone else, preferably Charlize Theron, Emily Blunt, Katee Sackhoff, or Tricia Hefler. Someone clearly fit, but not a she-hulk.

• enchantederotica
More
13 Aug 2015 03:37 - 13 Aug 2015 03:39 #43621 by lfan
Since I said I wouldn't pick Rousey, I thought I should at least mention who I thought would be ideal. My top choice(s) would probably Yvonne Strahovski or Emily Blunt.

I think both fit the right range in terms of age for Carol and are both quite easily on the eyes. Furthermore, both have proven they can play action heroines as evidenced by Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow and Yvonne on Chuck. I think both have some star appeal without being an A-list actress, as neither has been the star or headliner of any movie that I can recall, but both have enough box office appeal and followers to pull in some base of fans. Added bonus is both have a humorous tint to them (blunt in Devil Wears Prada, Yvonne in Chuck) and have shown they can pull of comedic moments in their performances.

One name rumoured that I feel is intriguing is Jessica Chastain, but I dunno if she is physically up to the role. However, her acting chops, IMO, is probably in the top tier of anyone they could find.

I never bought into the Katie Sackhoff fan casting and I fear Chalize is too old for the role, despite her still looking gorgeous.

My $.02
ElF
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 03:39 by lfan.

More
13 Aug 2015 06:28 - 13 Aug 2015 06:28 #43622 by unseen_unheard
lfan, I agree with you not only in being in favor of Yvonne Strahovski or Emily Blunt, but also not being sold on Katie Sackoff.

My personal choice would be Katheryn Winnick . Not only does she an actual actress, but she's also a holder of two black belts and is a licensed bodyguard.

As far as Jessica Chastain, I'm a big fan of hers and she said that she wants to be in a Marvel movie, but there is a much better role for her: Medusa in the upcoming Inhumans movie.

enchantederotica, I'm going to disagree with you slightly. While yes we don't need the muscles to match the strength Carol Danvers was a top-notch Air Force officer before getting her powers. She doesn't need to be overly muscular but she should be in excellent military shape.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 06:28 by unseen_unheard. Reason: grammar

More
13 Aug 2015 11:20 #43625 by kikass2014
Agree with Yvonne Strahovski. She would be an excellent choice. Jessica Chastain is another great choice. Had not considered her tbh. Great actress and the look to pull off the character.

I have not heard of Katheryn Winnick, but checking her out, I think she would be a nice fit if Marvel want to go for a lesser known/tier actress.

With regards to other, fresher actresses, would one consider Elizabeth Debicki? Recently playing a bad-girl role in the new Man from Uncle film. She may be a little to tall for the role though.

Peace.

/K

More
13 Aug 2015 13:59 #43626 by jdrock24
My #1 choice would be Emily Blunt but I can see Marvel going with some unknown actress in order to lock them into a multi picture deal and not pay them a lot.

More
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds