Amount

Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!

03 Nov 2015 00:23 #44946 by lfan
Latest rumor from the interwebs is that Kidman is playing a "high ranking Amazonian".....hmm, Queen Hippolyta perhaps?

heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/10/25/jo...er-woman-in-key-role

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Nov 2015 00:33 #44948 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
Does she really have any star power to make this worth while?
When was her last hit movie?
I did like her in Cold Mountain.
She never looked better than she did in Batman Returns.

More
03 Nov 2015 02:01 #44950 by rednecko
Replied by rednecko on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
I'm not excited for this personally. My hope was Lynda Carter was Hippolyta. That would make me massively happy for the film.

More
03 Nov 2015 04:54 #44956 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
Kidman's an excellent actress. She just doesn't do anything for me. She always seems a bit plastic to me, and it creeps me out. I find that i like her best when she's SUPPOSED to be creepy and weird.

Lynda Carter brings the nostalgia, and she could nail the part too. OTH, the amazons are immortal. So she probably shouldn't be sexy older lady Carter is still amazing no matter what her age is, but she doesn't quite pull off immortal anymore.

OTH that makes casting a bit ... difficult. Hippolyta needs to project more dignity, age, and gravitas than Diana does, but not appear to be much older. They had this problem in that Justin Timberlike movie In Time, where if you had the money, you could be young forever.

More
03 Nov 2015 14:39 #44971 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
Shes not cast to bring in the Cold Mountion Audience or anything. Shes cast Like Kevin Costner in Man of Steel , or Anthony Hopkins in Thor, or Glen Close in Gaurdians-a distinguished actor of a certain age who isn't so much to bring in audience as lend gravitas.

It did strike me though-One of the big reasons they brought in Gal Gadot was that she was slightly ethnically ambigious, had an accent that you can't easily place. Which you know in fairness to her, she can do.

Kidman can't do that. She is to quote a podcast i was listening to recently "one of the most gentile actress in the world". Shes can barely do an american accent well, let alone a greek one. And she doesn't look a lot like Gadot.

I can see why they cast her.....but yeah

More
03 Nov 2015 14:57 #44972 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
Before this goes down the "hate-on-as-Wonder-Woman's-mom" path, it's important to point out:

1) It's not confirmed, she is "in talks"
2) The role of Hippolyta is speculative from the description "high ranking Amazonian warrior". While I admittingly speculated as well, it's not definite if that is the role. Artemis, Magda, Paula.....there are several other 'named' Amazons in Wonder Woman lore. That said, Hippolyta makes the most sense given the age and "name recognition" of Kidman.
3) Everyone wants to see Lynda Carter but maybe she doesn't want to be part of it. I personally find that hard to believe based on her love of the role, but it's possible.
4) If she IS Hippolyta, give her a chance! As ToT pointed out, she is a good actress -- FAR better than Costner, IMO. Anyone who thinks not should watch her in "To Die For" and "Malice". Granted she played the villain in both, but they were two completely different types of characters.

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Nov 2015 22:22 #44985 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!

lfan wrote: Before this goes down the "hate-on-as-Wonder-Woman's-mom" path, it's important to point out:

1) It's not confirmed, she is "in talks"
2) The role of Hippolyta is speculative from the description "high ranking Amazonian warrior". While I admittingly speculated as well, it's not definite if that is the role. Artemis, Magda, Paula.....there are several other 'named' Amazons in Wonder Woman lore. That said, Hippolyta makes the most sense given the age and "name recognition" of Kidman.
3) Everyone wants to see Lynda Carter but maybe she doesn't want to be part of it. I personally find that hard to believe based on her love of the role, but it's possible.
4) If she IS Hippolyta, give her a chance! As ToT pointed out, she is a good actress -- FAR better than Costner, IMO. Anyone who thinks not should watch her in "To Die For" and "Malice". Granted she played the villain in both, but they were two completely different types of characters.

ElF

I could see Kidman play one of the Gods too. She would be perfect for that. That quality that make her seem a bit strange to me, and makes her play a great villain, would make her a fantastic God. She could easily play Athena or Hera, and I'm pretty sure she'd could carry Aphrodite too (though I'd probably go more young sex pot for that, only because that fits Aphrodite).

And I've learned to temper my judgement on actors -- because I'm almost always wrong in regards to the finished product. It's not like people making these movies are idiots. And sometimes I get really surprised. It doesn't mean I don't have opinions, I just temper them with the "I can't really make a judgement until I see it.".

Of course i'd never have filmed Man of Steel -- I'd have gone through a few script re-writes first (a few tweaks). I will say everyone in that movie was pretty close to perfectly cast, even Costner.

More
03 Nov 2015 23:34 - 03 Nov 2015 23:39 #44987 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
Costner Did bring something to the part- and i liked his obviously conflict in scenes as a guy who has made a desicion about his son, as he thinks it through.

but well yeah 9/10s fine, hurt to a degree by a silly ending that yeah they probabbly should have rewritten. say what you will about Glen Ford one of the bueatifies of the original Superman was that his death was fairly minor.

With regard to Kidman-shes a good actress when shes evil, or ambiougiously Evil. There was a lot of tlak online today about Golden Compass and his Dark Materials-the movie was pretty bad, but one thing that did work was her performance(if also like Man of Steel it felt like it punted its ending a touch) She is very bueatiful, but also naturally seems kind of cold and when shes use that together can produce intresting stuff.

I could see her as the kind of smiling bueatiful, but maybe evil Hipoloyta trying to destory mans world.

And if thats the direction they go with the amazons-thats something, and kind of what they have suggested from Man of Steel 2. Its something.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 23:39 by castor.

More
08 Nov 2015 02:16 #45038 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic Nicole Kidman cast as Hippolyta?!?!
She was damn near perfect in Batman Forever, and in a lesser degree in Eyes wide shut and Moulin Rouge. Afther MR she did something to her face that made it very artificial, very sadly :(

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds