Amount

Electra Woman & DynaGirl

07 Jun 2016 21:02 #48341 by lfan
Electra Woman & DynaGirl was created by lfan
The movie is now available on iTunes and other outlets today:

play.google.com/store/movies/details/Ele..._Girl?id=kq_VJCL5B4s

I watched, and it's not awful. The SFX in my opinion rival just about anything you'd see on mainstream TV. Some pretty good stuff. As a bonus to us, the main antagonist is a villainess named "Empress of Evil" with "uber-esque" qualities. I won't say anyone but you can check out the spoilers here for her powers:

Warning: Spoiler!

I won't spoil anymore, but it's a nice addition to our "mainstream ubergirl streak" we've been on of late with WW, Supergirl, Jessica Jones, etc.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Wotan45, Helstar, SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jun 2016 22:58 #48342 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Electra Woman & DynaGirl
I thought this was going to be a web series.
When did they decide to make it a movie?

More
08 Jun 2016 14:40 #48352 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Electra Woman & DynaGirl

Markiehoe wrote: I thought this was going to be a web series.
When did they decide to make it a movie?

I think they changed plans (obviously) in midstream and went to a full-length movie as a "pilot" for a possible webseries. I saw an interview with them saying something to the efffect of if the movie does well, they'll probably make more.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Jun 2016 23:40 #48378 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Electra Woman & DynaGirl

lfan wrote: if the movie does well, they'll probably make more.

I wonder how they'll measure that. How many sales is "well" for something like this?

More
09 Jun 2016 03:21 #48386 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Electra Woman & DynaGirl

www1969 wrote:

lfan wrote: if the movie does well, they'll probably make more.

I wonder how they'll measure that. How many sales is "well" for something like this?

The same metric that everything uses: did it make money?

The main question is how much did they spend to make this? Sell Price of $10 means making $7/sale, how many sales do they need to make that back?

Sometimes companies will willing lose money if they think over the lifetime it'll be made back.

Not sure how it'd work with it being on the web, but maybe they could sell to TV in foreign markets for $$. I really don't' know anything about that. Heck, even with it being free on the web it could be sold to Netflix, Amazon, (etc) for streaming and make money there too. I can tell you that streaming from random website is sucky to get to show on my TV (doable, but I finicky). If it's on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or YouTube, then it's a no brainer and easy. I'll always choose that over trying to go to a company website which won't play directly (I not longer have a computer hooked to my TV).

I suspect that if this is received well (reviews, customer reviews), then they'd be fairly sure a large percentage of people who shelled out $10 to see it would watch it regularly for free, and that gives them a # to plug into the $/webisode they'd make, and then they can figure out if that's enough to make the show and run a profit. Because MORE people will watch for free than paid for it...

That would be the metric they'd use, to counteract "this movie lost money". If they think the math shows that they can make lots of money streaming on the web, they'd be willing to keep going even if the movie didn't make it's money back. As I said, they can always push it to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and get a second run as well as advertising for the web show.

Probably the dream is if you get the notice of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Apple (who is trying to get into media creation)/HBO/Showtime and they like it, and fund the show for exclusive distribution. That's happened to several shows, like MS funding the Guild for advertising. Felecia Day measured "success" by the fact that Guild Season 1, she was manually packing DVDs and mailing them out, for Season 2, she paid someone else to do that for her. Now she makes a bunch of shows...

I don't think it was mentioned here. There was a news story were Apple almost bought DC Comics. The real head line is they thought about buying Time Warner -- which owns Warner Brothers, which owns DC Comics. But for the moment Apple is going to try to create shows on their own (a la Netflix and Hulu).

Which means more players in the market wanting to buy TV shows...

More
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds