Amount

Rising Stars from MGM

14 Jun 2016 20:18 #48559 by andyf
Rising Stars from MGM was created by andyf
MGM has gotten the film rights to the Top Cow comic book series Rising Stars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2016 22:55 #48562 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Rising Stars from MGM
Which pretty much means we can look forward to a Romantic Comedy with the leading man being referred to as 'Poet' exactly once coming out sometime in 2024.

Which would still make it a more faithful adaptation than Starship Troopers was subjected to...

More
14 Jun 2016 23:29 #48564 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Rising Stars from MGM
I take it you don't trust MGM? Eve with J Michael S, the books creator and a writer from Sense8 and Thor: Ragnarok involved?

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2016 00:42 #48565 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Rising Stars from MGM
Nah, just pointing out that buying the rights to something is almost unrelated to what actually appears on the big screen, if anything at all. Plus the lag time (while getting shorter) can still easily hit a full decade.

Honestly it's not a series I'd like to see boiled down to 2-hours more-or-less. It had a lot more to offer than I see fitting in that space. The punch line of the whole thing is also kind of depressing, which is not likely to survive translation to the big screen and the relentless happy-ending-it is to be found there. But I'm perfectly willing to be pleasantly surprised. It's quite interesting MGM would like to get on the Super Hero movies bandwagon.

More
19 Jun 2016 18:07 #48681 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Rising Stars from MGM
How can someone mention J. Michael Straczynski w/o mentioning Babylon 5? ;-)

I have to agree that I think Rising Stars would fit TV more. It's almost made for TV. This is probably true of any comic book property that actually tells a story across 10's of issues. Spider-Man (and most superhero properties) has been around for YEARS, but mostly the stories are short 1, 3, and six comic arcs that are mostly independent. Rising Stars had a solid GN opening (6-8 issues) but the story really did keep going, and really needed to develop across it's entire run. You *could* make it 2-3 movies, but I think they'd lack the emotional punch of TV and the story needs it.

The bright point here is that JMS is involved, and he's got lots of skills in adapting to TV and to a movie.

I'd probably say the same thing about Fables, Y The Last Man, Sandman, The Robinson Sandman Run, Saga, The Faction Hawkeye Run (probably the closest that could be turned into a movie), or Bone. They all have this long running story that is hard to complete in one movie, and trying robs them of the space they need to tell the story. I'm sure all of them could make a FANTASTIC movie, but not sure it'd work as well across multiple movies as it'd with multiple seasons of TV. Just seems like the threads would get lost in a movie w/ two years between them. OTH, I think I'm starting to like the Netflix/HBO 10-13 episode seasons too. Less filler.

But I would probably have thought that about Scott Pilgrim and it reduced nicely into a movie. Sure, lots more in the comics, but it made a fine story which think the movie caught a good essence. Not sure with the others I listed you could really do the story justice with just one small arc. Y the Last Man would probably make an excellent movie that just totally lacked some of the punch of the comic, 60 issues and in the comic it's "five years" IIRC, which so happens to match the chronological time of the comic too. Kill someone after FIVE YEARS and its a big deal. Kill them after 1:45 of a movie and it's "oh, they killed them".

I liked Sense8 and am glad it's getting a second season. I didn't pay attention to who made Sense8, and I was sent to IMDB to find out because it smelled like JMS. I also think that his skills and the Wachowski Sister's lie in different parts, and they make a good team. He's all about world building, character development, and small details, but I wouldn't point him as a great visual director. The Sisters are all about grand vision and pretty pictures, and they fall apart on the long story, nitty gritty details that make it work, and the character development. They slot together to form a pretty good team, it's like he's the antidote to where they need some help, and they free him up to do what he does best.

I guess Y the Last Man's TV show had news this year, and might actually make a TV show on FX. I believe all these things when they're actually filming. Never really thought we'd see American Gods either.

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds