Amount

Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

30 Mar 2017 17:12 #53418 by shadar
Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft was created by shadar
She's not overly pumped up like Angelina was, but she looks more athletic. I don't know anything about her acting chops, but she looks like my image of a nearly superhuman adventurer like Lara Croft.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Mar 2017 18:46 #53419 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft
At the cost of voicing the unpopular opinion, I never like the original concept and rendition of Lara Croft (both in games and movies). I can appreciate a nice badass girl as much as anyone else, but that was where my interest stopped. The character felt ... very basic. Lara was tough, cool and all of that, but we never get the hows and whys of the character, she just was.

This version is much more up my alley. Sure, this Lara suffers much more abuse than her original incarnation, but she comes out on top and the struggle really make the character.

More
30 Mar 2017 18:52 #53420 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft
I'm not a huge fan of Tomb Raider as a movie tbh, but I did like the original game (waaayyyy back on the PS).

I thought the Jolie films were "ok" at best as films, with the second one probably being slightly better then the first. I have no idea about the "new" re-imagined Lara, but in answer to this:

I don't know anything about her acting chops...

I can say that Alicia Vikander is a very talented actress. The character is in fine hands from that perspective :)

Peace.

/K

More
30 Mar 2017 21:00 #53421 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

Woodclaw wrote: At the cost of voicing the unpopular opinion, I never like the original concept and rendition of Lara Croft (both in games and movies). I can appreciate a nice badass girl as much as anyone else, but that was where my interest stopped. The character felt ... very basic. Lara was tough, cool and all of that, but we never get the hows and whys of the character, she just was.

This version is much more up my alley. Sure, this Lara suffers much more abuse than her original incarnation, but she comes out on top and the struggle really make the character.

I'm with you Woodclaw. I never played the games or otherwise had anything to do with Lara Croft except as a marginally superhuman character in the movies. Even if the superhuman stuff was just her incredibly well-developed skills, reflexes and fitness. (Ok, her incredibly well-developed chest was nice.)

But there was nothing more complex about the character in the movies. She was a plastic video-game character that had been animated. Even worse, she came from an early era of videogames where the characters were just props for the player to animate. They didn't have to create a deep emphatic understanding with the character's feelings. Or their history.

Although the movie did provide a nice Angelina image that I used to depict invulnerability. Now, I could get behind this kind of Lara Croft.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2017 21:53 #53422 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft
Those with long memories may recall a 2004 workshop by Supergirls, Inc. (now SWM), for which I and several others wrote Lara Croft stories (Mine was "The Amulet of Raja."). I tried to give Lara more substance than the movies/video games, and also threw in some real archaeology. But the story came in dead last. It may still be in the SWM Library, along with the others, If not you can find it here:

www.brightempire.com/Raja.html

--Brantley

More
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds