Amount

Hela. Thor: Ragnarok

12 Apr 2017 13:47 - 12 Apr 2017 21:34 #53598 by Sarge395
Hela. Thor: Ragnarok was created by Sarge395
Screenshot by Watchall from DA. Looks like she has a bit of power here! She crushes the hammer. Video is easy to find on Youtube.

www.deviantart.com/art/Hela-674130365

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 Apr 2017 21:34 by Sarge395. Reason: Added images
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, slim36, SCOTT R, Markiehoe, theomach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
12 Apr 2017 15:22 #53600 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok
I'm not sure she crushes the hammer. There is some fracturing around her hand, but I get the impression that she destroyed it by magical force rather than strength. No matter what, it's bad ass. That damn smile on her face.

The musical queues of Immigrant Song start off faintly in the background, until it starts to be heard as Mjolnir quivers, and then building until it breaks apart. That's some really great trailer editing right there. Perfect choice of song, and blending it into the trailer.

Say what you want, and though some of the Marvel trailers have been just ok, they've shown overall they know what they are doing, and have shown steady improvement. People talked about the JL trailer -- but they're EXCITED about the Thor one. I do think part of that is musical choices for the trailer.

It does pick up some queues from the Guardians trailers -- use of music, music timed to the shots used, dabs of humor in the right place. I still think it's it's own thing, doing the right thing of tailoring the trailer to the movie (80's font effects, etc).

Still not sure what to think about the movie -- at the very least it looks like it'll have some epic scenes in it. Let's see if they sketch that into a narrative that is good enough that we don't care about hopping from one to the other.

More
12 Apr 2017 17:13 #53603 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok
That scene was quite impressive, although I always found funny how Hela has always been portrayed as incredibly beautiful in the comics (the pciture is of her without the signature headdress).

This image is hidden for guests.

Whereas in the norse myth she was supposed to have one half of the body alive and one half death and decayed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
12 Apr 2017 18:24 #53604 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok

Woodclaw wrote: That scene was quite impressive, although I always found funny how Hela has always been portrayed as incredibly beautiful in the comics (the pciture is of her without the signature headdress).

Whereas in the norse myth she was supposed to have one half of the body alive and one half death and decayed.

I've never seen your first image of Hela, so thanks for that! It appears to be from Thor 189. Just a great image all around.

Thor is a red haired, shaggy bearded Viking. I always chalked Hela's Marvel appearence up to more of the same.

I vaugely remember seeing her depicted that way (It might have been an artistic rendering in a splash page or something). I can't find the image, or remember where I might have seen it.

This isn't what I was thinking about, but it's the closest I could come:

3.bp.blogspot.com/-umowsxXyQcY/V9sfDAwYq...jpg%257Eoriginal.jpg

I think the image in my head is somethng stylized, showing her with a skull super-imposed on half her head in shadow as a depitction of her death powers, not as she was supposed to look. I'm chalking it up to I know what she looks like in Norse Myth, and it's likely my brain has made something ... swear it was during Simonson's run.

More
12 Apr 2017 19:24 - 12 Apr 2017 19:25 #53606 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok
Hela's appearance in the X-Factor series really emphasized this. Artist Emanuela Lupaccino drew Hela very much along writer Peter David's vision: a va-va-voom 1940s femme fatale, who changed her outfit from one scene to the next. They were all green and most had a variation on her famous headdress. Some of these outfits were quite risque, but when it came down to business, she was back in her original armor. But when her cape was removed, she was back to half woman, half rotting corpse. Apparently, she smelled terrible also.

But you've got to give props (again) to Jack Kirby in 1964. Stan Lee wanted the Norse goddess of death introduced to the Thor comic, and Kirby came up with a sci-fi Las Vegas showgirl with no eyeballs clad in rune-covered armor.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2017 19:25 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
12 Apr 2017 19:33 #53608 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok

Agent00Soul wrote: Hela's appearance in the X-Factor series really emphasized this. Artist Emanuela Lupaccino drew Hela very much along writer Peter David's vision: a va-va-voom 1940s femme fatale, who changed her outfit from one scene to the next. They were all green and most had a variation on her famous headdress. Some of these outfits were quite risque, but when it came down to business, she was back in her original armor. But when her cape was removed, she was back to half woman, half rotting corpse. Apparently, she smelled terrible also.

But you've got to give props (again) to Jack Kirby in 1964. Stan Lee wanted the Norse goddess of death introduced to the Thor comic, and Kirby came up with a sci-fi Las Vegas showgirl with no eyeballs clad in rune-covered armor.

Jack Kirby is my hero! I like the way his brain works.

• shadar
More
25 Jul 2017 15:02 #55452 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok
Besides holding (and destroying!) the Hammer, almost ALL the scenes were Hela appears show her devastating f*c&ng everyone and everything in her path, either by magic or brute strength. It looks amazing.

And How cool would be to see a female villain going against both Thor AND THE HULK? One can only hope.

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"

More
27 Jul 2017 19:23 - 27 Jul 2017 19:26 #55478 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Hela. Thor: Ragnarok
I think Hela, at least as she was in the 60s-80s, was the second most powerful Asgardian behind Odin. She used to be able to kill anything by just touching it, even immortals. So powerful that in her first major story arc, Thor spends 2 or 3 issues running around the cosmos just to hide from her.

Did I ever mention that I have this cool blacklight poster from 1971 framed on my apartment wall? I'm not kidding:

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 19:26 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds