Amount

The history of WW

03 Jun 2017 21:37 #54521 by fats
The history of WW was created by fats
Hi all,

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Jun 2017 21:47 #54522 by slim36

More
04 Jun 2017 04:58 #54527 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic The history of WW

fats wrote: Hi all,

Fats

Are these hosts or panelists or whatever they are terribly irritating, or am I just getting old? In the unlikely event that these self-appointed experts shared insight I couldn't get from the cognoscenti of this forum, please pass them along here because I had to stop watching to keep my brain from exploding.

More
04 Jun 2017 13:09 #54532 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic The history of WW

www1969 wrote: Are these hosts or panelists or whatever they are terribly irritating, or am I just getting old? In the unlikely event that these self-appointed experts shared insight I couldn't get from the cognoscenti of this forum, please pass them along here because I had to stop watching to keep my brain from exploding.

Managed to get through only a few minutes of it...

It's the usual thing of the speakers having read the first half of the Wikipedia article, and throwing in various unchecked comments they might have read online, packaging it all as expert commentary. To be fair, presenters have to do this all the time, both professionals and amateurs (podcasters) -- unless you have a true expert as a guest, then the presenters have to feign competence. Not really their fault; more a fault in the format of their show.

For a start they keep referring to Moulton as being asked to create a female superhero by (later to be named) DC's parent company. Parent company?!? DC began as a printing and distribution company that acquired a controlling stake in a number of magazine publishers during the depression era to ensure a steady flow of trade to keep their presses rolling. This lead to the creation of National Allied Publications in 1934, a collection of comic and magazine publishers that all fed into the same printing/distribution network. One such affiliate publisher was Max Gaines' All-American Publications that produced Wonder Woman, based in the same New York building as Detective Comics (who published Batman and Superman.) Shortly after Wonder Woman's debut, due to the explosion of the superhero market and its potential for licensing to cinema and radio, NAP merged its comicbook publishers together by buying out Gaines share, bringing All-American, Detective, etc., together under the National Periodicals banner -- informally known as DC Comics.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: www1969

More
04 Jun 2017 18:00 #54535 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic The history of WW
one way to get through these is to click on the settings button and increase the playback speed to 1.5 or 2.0 less annoying to speed through it
The following user(s) said Thank You: www1969, Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds