Amount

Professor Marston & the Wonder Women

18 Jul 2017 17:51 #55319 by fats
Hi,

A wonder woman film that's not what you expect

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno, Bernard72002, Markiehoe, Monty, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jul 2017 22:47 #55325 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Professor Marston & the Wonder Women
Thank you. Look forward to seeing this.

Peace.

/K

More
19 Jul 2017 16:47 - 19 Jul 2017 17:05 #55344 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Professor Marston & the Wonder Women
Ehhhh....This doesn't look great to me.

obviously this isn't really an ubergirl movie,cause thats not what it is, but as a biopic.

I can see that it doesn't have a big budget, in a world where doing a period peice is harder and harder, but nothing here-the performances the cinemtography etc really are moving me.. It seems as one says stolid except for the sex, which obviously in a trailer they don't show but ehh. It seems to be framed a fair amount like the imitation game, which is a movie which used the discovery of the Sexual side of ones life as a backdrop to a war story . And i didn't like that movie-but at least it had the benefit of being a real thing. Marston never seriously faced problems in life.

I was excited for this movie before i saw this. Marston had an intresting life certainly, but ehh

That said for as long as i was here we kept getting "oh they haven't really done an ubergirl movie" which is fair. Now where getting a movie about the desire for ubergirls-which hey i can at least chuckle over.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2017 17:05 by castor.

More
19 Jul 2017 21:36 - 19 Jul 2017 21:38 #55353 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Professor Marston & the Wonder Women
This looks interesting to me, albeit not about ubergirls.

Marston has had an outsized influence on the superheroine genre, and some of us have dabbled with costumes and cosplay models and the dangerous intersection between fantasy and reality in our lives, so this could be interesting.

For one thing, I'd like to understand what kind of woman (wife) would welcome another woman (hotter and younger) into a marriage and make it all work better than without her, as may have been the case with Marston. Or so the rumors and this teaser trailer suggest. A lot of the movie will likely to rotate around desire and sex and Marston's realization of his fantasies, and that could be interesting if done right. Or raunchy if it's not.

I guess in the end it's just another kind of fantasy, and probably not a very safe one. But likely an interesting one for those of us who are into this genre.

Shadar
Last edit: 19 Jul 2017 21:38 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
13 Oct 2017 17:04 - 13 Oct 2017 17:04 #56562 by shadar
Here's a new trailer for this movie... looks interesting in the mix of reality and fantasy that will likely strike a chord here.

(Scroll down just a bit to find the Marston/WW video.)

www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/entertainment/goo...on-review/index.html

Shadar
Last edit: 13 Oct 2017 17:04 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

• shadar
More
26 May 2019 23:44 - 26 May 2019 23:46 #64120 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic Professor Marston & the Wonder Women
I’m bringing up this topic just to say that I’ve watched the movie tonight and it’s been AMAZING. I didn’t even know anything about it, I got it real cheap on blu ray on amazon because of the suggestive cover.

Aside from the gorgeous woman leads (for both their looks and acting skills), what I loved the most is the “normalization” and even positive spin that it puts on kinks.
Despite being in 2019 living in the most sexually free era of all time, even today we find shame in our kinks, in our ways to love ourselves and each other. We are still bound to social rules mostly derived from religion that dictate what we should accept as normal/positive and what we should instead push away despite being the closest to our true self for fear of being unable to fit in. 

This movie is about this. It’s about the difficulty to live scared of your peers, of your neighbors and most importantly of yourself for indulging in the sexual life that makes you and your consenting, adult partner(s) happy and fulfilled. If a woman love another, if a man loves two women and if they all like to wear costumes and tie each other with rope and whatnot then they are freaks and should be hated for what they do in the privacy of their home because their happiness is a sin, and they should hate themselves! What a fantastic world we could live in if we weren’t so judgmental and we actually embraced how different things can be enjoyed differently by people.

And according to this movie, WW was born to be the blueprint of a psychological lesson on the superiority of women. A moral superiority that would make them fitter to rule over men instead of the other way around because of their loving, nurturing nature. If men are fighters and hotheaded, shouldn’t the more calm, peaceful minds of women dominate society to bring about peace instead of war?

A truly, truly recommended watch.
Last edit: 26 May 2019 23:46 by j2001.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno, RD

More
27 May 2019 05:36 #64122 by shadar

j2001 wrote: I’m bringing up this topic just to say that I’ve watched the movie tonight and it’s been AMAZING. I didn’t even know anything about it, I got it real cheap on blu ray on amazon because of the suggestive cover.

Aside from the gorgeous woman leads (for both their looks and acting skills), what I loved the most is the “normalization” and even positive spin that it puts on kinks.
Despite being in 2019 living in the most sexually free era of all time, even today we find shame in our kinks, in our ways to love ourselves and each other. We are still bound to social rules mostly derived from religion that dictate what we should accept as normal/positive and what we should instead push away despite being the closest to our true self for fear of being unable to fit in. 

This movie is about this. It’s about the difficulty to live scared of your peers, of your neighbors and most importantly of yourself for indulging in the sexual life that makes you and your consenting, adult partner(s) happy and fulfilled. If a woman love another, if a man loves two women and if they all like to wear costumes and tie each other with rope and whatnot then they are freaks and should be hated for what they do in the privacy of their home because their happiness is a sin, and they should hate themselves! What a fantastic world we could live in if we weren’t so judgmental and we actually embraced how different things can be enjoyed differently by people.

And according to this movie, WW was born to be the blueprint of a psychological lesson on the superiority of women. A moral superiority that would make them fitter to rule over men instead of the other way around because of their loving, nurturing nature. If men are fighters and hotheaded, shouldn’t the more calm, peaceful minds of women dominate society to bring about peace instead of war?

A truly, truly recommended watch.

Very well said... this is a remarkable movie, and very powerful. I have to admit that I couldn't finish watching it the first time I tried, it was both powerful and made me uncomfortable. But I have finished it now and it was well worth it. 

This is not a light-hearted or trivial movie, It makes you think and it might make you uncomfortable. That's good. Being uncomfortable but not running away or rejecting something  is the first step to expanding your mind. Stretching the mind is like stretching a stiff muscle -- it hurts at first. 

There are aspects of this film that reminded me of college psychology classes of the 1960's The idea of questioning everything without bounds. And the discomfort of moving beyond the usual bounds of thought. Not to mention the expanded world of the counterculture that was revealing itself at the same time. 

In the end, the movie is a love story, just not a conventional one. The 1940's, 50's and first half of the 60's were not tolerant times. It's interesting that it took a woman in the early 70's to resurrect Wonder Woman  of the 1930's after she was suppressed and diminished for decades. 

Now, with WW cast into a thoroughly modern culture, which is quite different from the late 20's and 30's,  she's very different than Marston's WW. But he was unleashing powerful forces at the time, and who knows what changes they've driven. Things we can't directly connect to him. But clearly, women are more empowered today than ever before. 

Maybe we owe just a little of that to Professor Marston. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, j2001

• shadar
More
27 May 2019 21:32 #64129 by shadar
Just to tie this topic up with a bow, Marston's DISC theory is still part of modern industrial psychology and workplace collaboration tools.

Check this article out... 

elmlearning.com/the-true-story-behind-th...l-for-collaboration/

Professor Marston not only changed the nature of fantasy and comic books by basing them on the science of psychology and empowerment of women, but his work is still part of the modern workplace... TODAY. 

Which makes this movie all the more poignant knowing how much of his thinking has continued forward. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: j2001

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds