Amount

Thor: Ragnarok

03 Nov 2017 05:27 #56869 by TwiceOnThursdays
Thor: Ragnarok was created by TwiceOnThursdays
The short review is that this movie is hella fun.

It's kooky and weird. Jeff Goldblum plays the Grandmaster, and for the tone they set, he's perfect for the part. So if that sounds awesome, you'll love it. If you groan at that ... well you might find it tough going.

OTH, that's not what we're here for.

Cate Blanchett is fantastic as Hela. She's an impossibly powerful bad girl. She can casually lay waste to an army. She can shatter Mjolnir (in the trailers!!). She fits right in with some of the evil super-femmes, and is one of the best to ever grace the screen. We really do have an embarrassment of riches lately.

For our little niche, she's worth the price of admission.

But, wait. There's MORE.

Tessa Tompson as Valkyrie is just great. She's flawed, she's kick-ass, she's super strong. She smashes spaceships, rips turrets off, she casually flips men and hurls them 100 feet away in a high arc.

The actress got nicely buff for the role. I didn't really notice in the trailers, but she's SOLID. She's not a bodybuilder, but she's got shape to her arms and solidity to her shoulders. She's put on some mass since Westworld.

Since she plays a super-skilled warrior from a culture where people ARE that strong. Like Thor, she'd have trained herself to be fit, and she certainly conveyed that. She's also wonderfully flawed, and it's nice to see women getting to play characters who aren't either a damsel needing to be saved or some flawless mary sue. Instead, she's just kick-ass, and is given a few chances to demonstrate that. She hangs with Thor. She spars with the Hulk for fun.

So we get both. A slightly buff kick-ass woman who loves to throw herself into battle with glee. And the lithe sleek impossibly powerful Cate Blanchet as Hela.

And it's wrapped in a movie that is filled with kooky marvel history. I'm sure some will find the brand of humor off-putting, I thought it was just the right touch. Helmsworth shows that he's willing to make fun of himself, and just go for it (and they do often in the movie). And yet ... .Thor gets to be a bad ass in this movie, as he should. His name is on the marquee.

There are some really great examples of super-powered melee in the movie. I'm afraid I was a bit too pumped to rationally compare them with others, but they were "really fun", so they did their job.

Anyway, I thought the movie was fun, and Hela and Valkyrie are a real delight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R, Markiehoe, Agent00Soul, Slim0926, McVee, Monty, kikass2014, LustMonster, Gargamel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • TwiceOnThursdays's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Nov 2017 05:43 - 03 Nov 2017 05:43 #56870 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Thor: Ragnarok
I admit i was disappointed that Cate got the role. But after just seeing the trailer my mind was changed. And I read a story in the newsfeed about the grueling training she did.

From what I've heard and read, this movie had a LOT going for it. Can't wait to see it.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 05:43 by Dru1076.

More
03 Nov 2017 08:54 - 03 Nov 2017 08:56 #56872 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Thor: Ragnarok
Thor: Ragnarok was brilliant imo :)

I'm no fan of the first two films in his series, but man did they knock it out the park with this one. I haven't laughed (out LOUD) this much in a cinema in a long while (more so then I did for GotG Vol:2) :D

Make no mistake this is a straight up comedy, so if that doesn't float your boat, you will be disappointed imo.

Hela and Valkyrie...

Oh man, what a joy both of them were to watch :)

I often say to my friends if Cate Blanchett walked through my door RIGHT NOW and asked if I would marry her, I would say "yes" in less time then it takes to blink an eye. And she looked incredible as Hela! The costume was great (damn she looks in great shape), and her character was simply divine. So OTT and in the hands of a lesser actress, could have come off so bad. But in the hands of a 2-time Oscar winner, man what a joy it was watch lol :D She really embraces the role, even while chewing the scenery with a sneer that could destroy the world alone lol :D And I got to see Cate kick some serious ass (without breaking a sweat either :P), which was great.

Tessa was also awesome as Valkyrie :) Sure they race swapped the character, but I didn't really care tbh. She looked outstanding (if a little short imo to play a valkyrie, but meh, thats so minor tbh), and her scenes were great. Her appearance was hilarious and brilliant at the same time :D, Her sparing with Hulk, brief but fun, and she had an actual character that was, like Twice said, flawed yet strong. She also played great off Thor, having great chemistry imo. Really a joy to watch, and great to see she put some serious effort into her look.

Hemsworth is also outstanding, constantly poking fun at himself, while still being the noble hero he is.

I don't really want to say much else in case of spoilers, but it was a genuinely fun film to watch. I highly recommend it :)

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 08:56 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Dru1076, Markiehoe, CANNNNIS, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays, LustMonster, Gargamel

More
03 Nov 2017 15:15 #56877 by jasminevancroft
Replied by jasminevancroft on topic Thor: Ragnarok
Big fan.

I'm impressed how hilarious it was without losing the actually importance of the situation.

Favorite characters:
1. Korg
2. Grandmaster
3. Hela
4. Hulk
5. Thor

Sure a lot of 4-letter names! Loki, Odin, Meek...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

More
03 Nov 2017 15:38 #56878 by kikass2014
Korg was HILARIOUS :D

His "revolution" line had me rolling on the floor LOL :D

Peace.

/K

More
06 Nov 2017 05:44 - 06 Nov 2017 05:45 #56904 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Thor: Ragnarok
James Corden and cast of Ragnarok present special live "4D" version. at an early screening

With amusing live version of Cate Blanchett crushing a styrofoam Thor's hammer

Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 05:45 by slim36. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R, aguilauno, Agent00Soul

More
07 Nov 2017 01:18 #56914 by Mynn
Replied by Mynn on topic Thor: Ragnarok
Mmm.... sounds like a lovely vacation spot to meet powerful people. I simply must schedule a trip there.

(Wow. I might go see this flick. Sounds like fun)

• Mynn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Nov 2017 02:40 #56971 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Thor: Ragnarok
Hela YEAH!

Now that is how to be a Superpowered Villainess.

BRAVO

Even had a throatlift scene for those inclined that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

More
13 Nov 2017 15:03 #57060 by kikass2014
Thor Ragnarok has crossed $650,000,000 worldwide in just 10 days.

Could it break the $1 billion mark? Doubtful imo. Could it match (or beat) the "mighty" Wonder Woman? Possibly imo.

Apparently its tracking 12% higher then GotG Vol.2 so will be interesting to see where the god of thunder finishes up.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
13 Nov 2017 16:12 #57061 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic Thor: Ragnarok
The 10 day is more than Thor 2 lifetime. I think this gets to 750-800, they will be very happy.

More
13 Nov 2017 16:50 #57064 by kikass2014
^True :)

I think they are more then happy considering the shift in tone :) Could so easily have been a bomb :D

Between 750-800 is a pretty good estimate tbh. If it continues its current tracking, it could finish in the 850-900 bracket.

Peace.

/K

More
13 Nov 2017 18:40 - 13 Nov 2017 19:38 #57066 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Thor: Ragnarok
It was great.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2017 19:38 by Agent00Soul.

More
19 Nov 2017 04:20 #57204 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Thor: Ragnarok
Good movie. My wife loved it.

More
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds