Amount

Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

29 Mar 2019 22:11 #63486 by Avalian
Replied by Avalian on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

shadar wrote: The casting choices are interesting. 

Michelle North is starring in the series Hanna that starts today on Amazon. She’s very young but atletic and playing a superhumanly trained weapon in Hanna. (Which might be interesting in its own right.). Can’t find her age on Google given she’s an unknown, but the trailer below will give you some clues. Teens for sure.  Based on the trailer, she’ll make an awesome Mary Marvel. She does action well. She’s kick ass.

Grace Fulton is a dancer who is 22. She plays Mary Batson. 

But in the comics, Mary Batson appears to be much younger than Mary Marvel. The casting looks backwards. Maybe they can make Grace look very young and frail like Mary Batson is supposed to be. 

And make Michelle North look ultra powerful, which will be easy.

This Hanna trailer makes it clear that Michelle North was born to the role. Using trees for punching bags?

Shadar


An item of note, the actress playing the grown up Mary is Michelle Borth, not Michelle North, and Michelle Borth is a 40 year old actress who most recently has appeared in Hawaii 5-0. The actress who plays in Hanna is Esme Creed-Miles, who is 19 according to IMDB. I can't find any information about an actress Michelle North involved in the Hanna TV series or the Hanna film - though interestingly in both versions the character "False Marissa" is played by an actress named Michelle (Dockery in the film and Duncan in the series). Your information on Grace Fulton is correct - an interestingly she played a young Jennifer Love Hewitt in the Ghost Whisperer.

Michelle Borth

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1218924/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

Esme Creed-Miles

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2962727/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2019 22:30 #63489 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

Avalian wrote:

shadar wrote: The casting choices are interesting. 

Michelle North is starring in the series Hanna that starts today on Amazon. She’s very young but atletic and playing a superhumanly trained weapon in Hanna. (Which might be interesting in its own right.). Can’t find her age on Google given she’s an unknown, but the trailer below will give you some clues. Teens for sure.  Based on the trailer, she’ll make an awesome Mary Marvel. She does action well. She’s kick ass.

Grace Fulton is a dancer who is 22. She plays Mary Batson. 

But in the comics, Mary Batson appears to be much younger than Mary Marvel. The casting looks backwards. Maybe they can make Grace look very young and frail like Mary Batson is supposed to be. 

And make Michelle North look ultra powerful, which will be easy.

This Hanna trailer makes it clear that Michelle North was born to the role. Using trees for punching bags?

Shadar


An item of note, the actress playing the grown up Mary is Michelle Borth, not Michelle North, and Michelle Borth is a 40 year old actress who most recently has appeared in Hawaii 5-0. The actress who plays in Hanna is Esme Creed-Miles, who is 19 according to IMDB. I can't find any information about an actress Michelle North involved in the Hanna TV series or the Hanna film - though interestingly in both versions the character "False Marissa" is played by an actress named Michelle (Dockery in the film and Duncan in the series). Your information on Grace Fulton is correct - an interestingly she played a young Jennifer Love Hewitt in the Ghost Whisperer.

Michelle Borth

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1218924/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

Esme Creed-Miles

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2962727/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1


Wow, I sure messed that up -- two ways. I was Googling and trying to talk on the phone at the same time, using info from a previous post in this thread that named Michelle North. But Google kept giving me Michelle Borth, so it was hard to burn through that and find a rather obscure actress; Michelle North.  IMDB showed Hanna as a credit, probably because I forced a "Michelle North and Hanna" search.

My wife says I'm getting bad at multitasking these days but this was a real fail. Guess I need to remember the usual rule: Check it twice before posting.

Tks for the correction... the casting of the movie now makes sense, age wise at least. 

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2019 23:30 #63559 by hunterbr2001
Replied by hunterbr2001 on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
There is an image... to avoid spoilers, I'll put a link here.

If you want to see, take a look at instagram  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvo0QIshwBB/
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k, Random321, jyache, Agent00Soul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2019 13:09 #63584 by WLG
Replied by WLG on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/...arymarvelbullets.jpg

* Man, I grew up on the above image. *


Carry on....
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, SCOTT R, aguilauno, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2019 03:39 #63604 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
I generally try to avoid spoilers but this time I had to peak.

Super Cute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
04 Apr 2019 16:25 #63617 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

WLG wrote: static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/...arymarvelbullets.jpg

* Man, I grew up on the above image. *


Carry on....


Me too - 1970s Mary really does it for me.  Must be a combination of the costume and how they wrote her personality in those days.  Also, that was the first version of her I read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 16:26 #63626 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

WLG wrote: static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/...arymarvelbullets.jpg

* Man, I grew up on the above image. *


Carry on....


This is one of my all time favorite Mary Marvel images.  

I've even commissioned versions of it a few times.  ;-)

www.deviantart.com/cerebus873/art/Mary-M...-scribbles-559874495
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave147, SCOTT R, Agent00Soul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 16:34 #63627 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

WLG wrote: static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/...arymarvelbullets.jpg

* Man, I grew up on the above image. *


Carry on....


This is one of my all time favorite Mary Marvel images.  

I've even commissioned versions of it a few times.  ;-)

www.deviantart.com/cerebus873/art/Mary-M...-scribbles-559874495


I know it's sort of crazy to say, but there is something undeniably sexy about that whole scenario!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 17:49 - 05 Apr 2019 17:51 #63630 by dave147
Replied by dave147 on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
I went to see shazam film today although I enjoyed itand thought grace fulton really good in her secret identity before coming mary marvel along rest billy family towards end of the film. that being said very disappointed that in final fight mary didn't do more to me less action than other member of  shazam family. I would love if there was a Mary marvel film as spin off with grace fulton as both mary in both identities wish for thinking through !
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 17:51 by dave147. Reason: my awfull grammer spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 18:15 #63631 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

dave147 wrote: went to see shazam film today although I enjoyed itand thought grace fulton really good in her secret identity before coming mary marvel along rest billy family towards end of the film. that being said very disappointed that in final fight mary didn't do more to me less action than other member of  shazam family. Iwould love if there was a Mary marvel film as spin off with grace fulton as both mary in both identities wish for thinking through !


The focus was more more on Darla in the final fight than Mary.  Mary gets the least screen time of all of them.

They also should have just used the same acress for Mary and Mary Marvel (she's a graduating senior in the film).  The others are children that become adult versions of themselves.

Oh, wait, she's now "Mary Shazam".

The movie is fun, and enjoyable.  Heavily based on the last bit of Shazam that was a backup in Justice League though with Bill being less of a brat, and more understandable/sympathetic while not being as nice as the traditional Billy Batson. This Billy seems like a fully formed character, and is played well in both his forms.

I think the overall tone of the movie gets back to more of a comic book movie vs an adventure/action movie.  It really did feel like reading a comic back in the day.  Some camp, but not too much.  After Wonder Woman, Aquaman and now Shazam, DC might be finding their place with movies.

The Joker trailer looks really well done -- though I don't believe that a Joker Origin story movie should have been made, and that it's a horrible idea. (Telling the Joker origin robs some of the mystery and magic from the character.)  OTH, bringing Bucky back was a horrible idea, but Brubaker did that and made the story awesome and created the Winter Soldier.  So I think DC is doing something they shouldn't ... but they seem to be doing such a great job at it that it might excuse the sin of doing it in the first place.

I hope Shazam does well.  It's good to see DC succeed with movies that are not Batman and Superman so they'll keep making them. (But continual hits of Joker and Harley Quinn are problematic too...)  Just like it's great Sony woke up and realized they own more than just "Peter Parker, Spider-Man origin story".  Into the Spider-Verse is a great flick and really deserved it's animation oscar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2019 03:41 - 10 Apr 2019 03:42 #63671 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
Is there any sort of transformation for Mary in the movie?

[Throw in the spoilers tag if you must!]
Last edit: 10 Apr 2019 03:42 by algae2k. Reason: correcting typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2019 03:43 - 10 Apr 2019 03:44 #63672 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

algae2k wrote: Is there any sort of transformation for Mary in the movie?

(Throw in the spoilers tag if you must!


Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last edit: 10 Apr 2019 03:44 by murdough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2019 03:53 #63673 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

murdough wrote:

algae2k wrote: Is there any sort of transformation for Mary in the movie?

(Throw in the spoilers tag if you must!


Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]


Faster than me with a clip even!  Kudos!

The non-spoilery part is as a Transformation fan EVERY transformation in the movie sucks.  Not that I care about men transforming, but at least they're consistantly bad on all of them.

IRC they pretty much all go like this:

See Billy.

Camera off focuses from Billy a bit (we're "looking at something else")

SHAZAM!

Bright flash of light that blinds screen.

Camera refocuses, sometimes after searching through smoke, or "looking" for Billy and finding Shazam!.  In some ways I think the camera is trying to duplicate what people around "see" when Billy calls the lighting, and use that to explain why people do not figure it out.

That is I do not think you ever have Billy centered on screen going "Shazam!" (flash/thunder) and Shazam is standing there in the exact same pose.  So, while they transform it's offscreen, and as such, a real bummer.

This clip backs that up.  It spoils how they become Shazams (but if you've not figured this out by the time it happens .... ) so not really much of a spoiler. The big spoiler we've already done that there ARE the other Shazams.

so the TL;DR I think is "no, you do not get to see her transform" (in the spirt of what you're really asking.  She transforms but we do not get to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2019 18:55 #63687 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

murdough wrote:

algae2k wrote: Is there any sort of transformation for Mary in the movie?

(Throw in the spoilers tag if you must!


Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]


The laughter and other audience reactions are cute in that clip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2019 14:37 #63701 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
Quick question for those who've seen the movie (as I might be able to see this today):

Once the credits start rolling, is there any further content (either within or after the credits)?  I might be able to catch this at 2:10, but I have an appointment 5 minutes away at 4:45... and I would like to avoid missing any content!

[mark answer with spoiler tag, just in case]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2019 16:46 #63704 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

algae2k wrote: Quick question for those who've seen the movie (as I might be able to see this today):

Once the credits start rolling, is there any further content (either within or after the credits)?  I might be able to catch this at 2:10, but I have an appointment 5 minutes away at 4:45... and I would like to avoid missing any content!

[mark answer with spoiler tag, just in case]


From what I heard there are 2 scenes.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2019 17:38 #63705 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

Woodclaw wrote:

algae2k wrote: Quick question for those who've seen the movie (as I might be able to see this today):

Once the credits start rolling, is there any further content (either within or after the credits)?  I might be able to catch this at 2:10, but I have an appointment 5 minutes away at 4:45... and I would like to avoid missing any content!

[mark answer with spoiler tag, just in case]


From what I heard there are 2 scenes.


Yes, there are.  The first one is the real end credit scene and is near the start of the credits . The second one isn't that important and is all the way at the end.  

Not sure how to do spoilers and I'm at work so I can't look it up. ;-)

But keeping it general it's just a funny scene between Shazam and Freddy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2019 18:06 - 11 Apr 2019 18:07 #63706 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?

algae2k wrote: Quick question for those who've seen the movie (as I might be able to see this today):

Once the credits start rolling, is there any further content (either within or after the credits)?  I might be able to catch this at 2:10, but I have an appointment 5 minutes away at 4:45... and I would like to avoid missing any content!

[mark answer with spoiler tag, just in case]


Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last edit: 11 Apr 2019 18:07 by murdough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2019 05:39 #63730 by WyseQuack
Replied by WyseQuack on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
Just saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal.

While I too would have preferred to see more or Mary in action in her hero form, I have a suspicion about why Darla and (to a lesser extent) Pedro got more screen time than Billy's other foster siblings (in their hero forms).

While it wasn't made explicit in the film, I think the six foster siblings don't (quite) have identical power sets.  Similar, yes but not identical.  Each got an 'extra helping', if I may put it that way, of one attribute of the Wizard's powers.

I'm inferring a lot of this from a Wiki article about Flashpoint.  If I'm not mistaken, that was the first time any versions of Darla Dudley, Pedro Pena, and Eugene Choi were seen in the DC Multiverse.  They were friends with Billy, Mary and Freddy and (long story short) each of them wound up with one of the six powers referred to in the SHAZAM acronym.  (They could also combine into a Captain Marvel analog with all of their powers called Captain Thunder, but that's getting off topic.)  Eugene got the Wisdom of Solomon, Pedro received the Strength of Hercules, Mary got the Stamina of Atlas, Freddy received the Power of Zeus, Billy receive the Courage of Achilles and Darla received the Speed of Mercury.

That was the Flashpoint timeline which ended up being erased, and while I haven't been able to find a wiki with up to date info, I understand the situation in current DC Comics continuity closely parallels the situation at the end of the movie - the six of them are foster siblings all of whom can call upon the power of Shazam to become superheroes.

Now, I might be mis-remembering this next bit, but I seem to recall reading somewhere (unfortunately, I've forgotten where) that each of this six 'specializes' in one of the six powers.  Who specializes in what would match up with what was said above about the Flashpoint timeline.

Back to the movie.  Almost all of Hero Darla's scenes were about her using her hyperspeed (the movie seemed to prefer that term to superspeed) and Hero Pedro's scenes were about him using his strength to hold up a damaged Ferris wheel.

So, basically, Darla is the group's speedster, and Pedro is the strongman.  Speed and strength are the easier superpowers to show on screen, so that's why those two got more attention than the others.

I mean if I was a filmmaker and someone asked we 'How do you show Freddy having the Power of Zeus onscreen?' I might go, "Hmm, one of Zeus' talents in mythology was throwing lightning bolts, lightning is a form of electricity, let's have Freddy go to town with the electrokinesis" but that's something of a reach.  I'd have to include some dialogue to lead the audience to make that connection, and it's not terribly faithful to the history of the character - the Power of Zeus was part of his origin from the beginning, put the Marvel family having electrokinesis was not.

Basically, it was a lot easier to throw in scenes that displayed 'this is the really fast one' or 'this is the really strong one' than 'this is the one with extra incredible stamina'.

And, for the record, I think the film makers deliberately did not make explicit they were using this 'each kid has an extra dose of one of the powers' thing to give them the option of walking away from it (without causing an uproar from anal fanboys about the 'retcon') in any potential sequels.

So, that's my theory, for what it's worth.

Link to Flashpoint/Captain Thunder Article I referred to:   shazam.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Thunder


The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2019 12:28 - 19 Apr 2019 13:55 #63769 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Mary Batson and Mary Marvel in Shazam?
For those disappointed at Mary Marvel's screen time, sounds like there was a good bit more that didn't make the final cut.   Hopefully, maybe we'll see the deleted scenes someday:

www.cbr.com/shazam-michelle-borth-mary-scenes/

More importantly, Michele Borth says she's tied to.a FIVE picture deal!   At this point, I think a sequel is all but guaranteed, and dare I even imagine a Mary Marvel solo movie?  Yeah, prob not but nice to imagine...

UPDATE:  Here's an interview this week with Michelle where she talks a little about the role and audition:



ElF
Last edit: 19 Apr 2019 13:55 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds