Amount

WW2 costume mods

22 May 2018 18:49 #59590 by lfan
WW2 costume mods was created by lfan
screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-costume-gal-gadot/

According to the article, she's getting a new costume.  Time will tell if its a wholesale change or maybe a special version for taking on a superpowered foe, so I'll reserve judgment.  However, my first reaction is "Why?"

I realize you wanna sell more merchandise, but considering that WW is the only "hot" movie franchise DC has right now, combined with the fact that costuming is SO polarizing and opens you up for tons of scorn from the trolling fanboys (see WW pilot, Flash's original costume, latest Starfire pics from Titans show, even some backlash on Zachery Levi's Shazam) why would you take this risk?  Of course if the changes are minuscule, not a big deal, but I don't know why people always want to change the "canon-istic" part of the character that people have grown accustomed to and like.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 May 2018 19:01 - 22 May 2018 19:03 #59591 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic WW2 costume mods
Yeah its hard to tell without seeing what these changes are, if they are for better or worse.

I'm of the mindset that it most likely is to do with selling merch, but given that it relates to "battle gear" in the article, could be something worn for a set-piece. Could be socio-political. "Hey Gadot showed toooo much skin, cover her up damn it!"

As to the question of "why?", 9 times out of 10, making that merchandise money :D  When did the DCEU EVER think about "the fans" of these properties lol :P 

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 22 May 2018 19:03 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
22 May 2018 19:11 #59594 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic WW2 costume mods

kikass2014 wrote: Yeah its hard to tell without seeing what these changes are, if they are for better or worse.

I'm of the mindset that it most likely is to do with selling merch, but given that it relates to "battle gear" in the article, could be something worn for a set-piece. Could be socio-political. "Hey Gadot showed toooo much skin, cover her up damn it!"

As to the question of "why?", 9 times out of 10, making that merchandise money :D  When did the DCEU EVER think about "the fans" of these properties lol :P 

Peace.

/K

The "why" was kinda rhetorical, as I have a pretty good idea its money from merchandising, especially toys.  They all do it -- DC and Marvel -- sometimes for better and sometimes for worse, but always with an eye on making money.  Captain America is one of the most iconic superheroes in the Marvel Universe yet they managed to morph him into "Captain Puerto Rico" in one of the later incarnations.  I also don't believe we've ever had the same Spiderman costume two movies in a row. :P

I'm "hoping" it is for a specific battle like you said.  Hoping more its a little more intricate than Lynda Carter's skateboarding outfit from the show or her full body swimsuit :P

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 May 2018 19:27 #59595 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic WW2 costume mods
We have had three movies with Gal in her costume.
Inserting a different costume in the cold war setting seems odd but women change their clothes all the time.
I am hopefully optimistic.

P.S. Wonder Woman's skin diving costume was super sexy. ;)

More
22 May 2018 20:04 #59596 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic WW2 costume mods

Markiehoe wrote: We have had three movies with Gal in her costume.
Inserting a different costume in the cold war setting seems odd but women change their clothes all the time.

I think the most unrealistic things about female Super Heroes is that they wear just one costume.  IT's bad enough that most the men do too. (Honestly, most men don't wear the same thing all the time either! And few men/women are like Steve Jobs and wear the same outfit in a professional setting.)

I always like George Perez' attention to detail in the old Avengers (160-180) where each issue the Wasp is in a different outfit.  She's into fashion and has the money.  She WOULD change her outfit regularly.

As for this, I'm guessing it's a "Battle outfit" to help fight Cheetah's claws.   This would explain why she didn't go back to it in the future appearances in BvS and JLA but returned to her first uniform.

And sell more merch naturally. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
22 May 2018 21:01 - 22 May 2018 21:03 #59597 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic WW2 costume mods

Hoping more its a little more intricate than Lynda Carter's skateboarding outfit from the show or her full body swimsuit 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

LOL :D  Good point :D

And agree, bring back the bathing costume :D

This would explain why she didn't go back to it in the future appearances in BvS and JLA but returned to her first uniform.

Good point : )

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 22 May 2018 21:03 by kikass2014.

More
23 May 2018 05:54 #59604 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic WW2 costume mods

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

Markiehoe wrote: We have had three movies with Gal in her costume.

I think the most unrealistic things about female Super Heroes is that they wear just one costume.  IT's bad enough that most the men do too. (Honestly, most men don't wear the same thing all the time either! And few men/women are like Steve Jobs and wear the same outfit in a professional setting.)

I always like George Perez' attention to detail in the old Avengers (160-180) where each issue the Wasp is in a different outfit.  She's into fashion and has the money.  She WOULD change her outfit regularly.

As for this, I'm guessing it's a "Battle outfit" to help fight Cheetah's claws.   This would explain why she didn't go back to it in the future appearances in BvS and JLA but returned to her first uniform.

And sell more merch naturally. ;-)

The only place I saw that done well was with G-Girl in My Super Ex-Girlfriend movie. She never wore the same thing twice. 

In Diana's case, perhaps its just some armor she puts on over her normal costume to toughen her up more. That would still sell toys and wouldn't screw things up fans. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Jul 2018 16:01 #60103 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic WW2 costume mods
Gadot takes time off from WW2 to...

screenrant.com/wonder-woman-gal-gadot-co...-childrens-hospital/

--Brantley
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k, Markiehoe, Monty

More
08 Jul 2018 18:25 #60104 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic WW2 costume mods
Wonder Woman 1984! This sounds great! 

More
08 Jul 2018 19:32 #60105 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic WW2 costume mods

brantley wrote: screenrant.com/wonder-woman-gal-gadot-co...-childrens-hospital/

"MAN, what an impressive cosplayer.!
Oh...wait..."

More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds