Amount

Supergirl Movie coming?!?

08 Aug 2018 01:54 #60571 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

Sad, as it's one of the times that Morrison's Eternal Superman (the yellow sun keeps him young/eventually goes to live in heart of Sun bullshit)  makes a good story  .. if you just kept that a Kryptonian is immortal/unaging under a yellow sun, that makes an interesting character.  A Super"girl" who has been around for 1000's of years, seen it all, and grown detached, sometimes in the foreground, but for a long time, hiding in the shadows.

That's a new take, and an interesting one.

They did something like this in a recent Doctor Who episode.
In order to save a young woman's life he froze her aging at sixteen.
(I'm making the story extremely simple)
She lived for hundreds of years never maturing.
She did have children but stopped because she would watch them grow up age and die.
She became a very bitter...you could not call her a woman.
It was very tragic.

I would not like to see a Supergirl like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2018 02:21 - 08 Aug 2018 02:23 #60574 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

kikass2014 wrote:

She has already been introduced to the DCEU. In Man of Steel...

Very good point. I'd forgotten about that. It's obvious that she's out there, hiding. Also the introduction comic to that movie where we saw Kara Zor El as some kind of space explorer in the distant (thousands of years) past in that ship...Of course, their big chance to have her emerge was after Superman died. Have her take his role.

This highlights the mess that DC/WB is in.  Everyone and their mother wants to see Man of Steel 2, especially with happy, smiling Superman that was briefly shown in JL.  So what do WB do?  Announce Supergirl  /facepalm.

They keep blowing all their moments.  Supergirl showing up in BvS, would have worked a lot better then.....ah nevermind.  Trodden this path many times :)

Like I said, would be great to see, but I will be amazed if this goes into production or is heard of again (what happened to Batgirl????).

Peace.

/K

The really horrible thing is that Cavil is EXCELLENT at playing a happy Superman full of Hope.  He seems to have comedic timing, and the chops to pull off everything that is needed, while having an amazing phyique.

So instead he gets to be dour Superman.  Ug.

I honestly don't think the prequel comic book and frame from MoS matter.  Not one really cares. I'll bet the movie Kara will have nothing to do with any of that, and instead it's a new story. (Marvel has conveintly forgetten a few easter eggs they laid down too.)

Sad, as it's one of the times that Morrison's Eternal Superman (the yellow sun keeps him young/eventually goes to live in heart of Sun bullshit)  makes a good story  .. if you just kept that a Kryptonian is immortal/unaging under a yellow sun, that makes an interesting character.  A Super"girl" who has been around for 1000's of years, seen it all, and grown detached, sometimes in the foreground, but for a long time, hiding in the shadows.

That's a new take, and an interesting one.

I'm fond of her being an ALIEN, like she is. Someone who grew up in a different culture.  This is a bit of both.  She's be well versed in humanity, but also be this alien/odd thing due to living for such a long time.

Oh, I REALLY like that idea!!  It would be a wonderful take on the character and would open up a huge story space. She might look early twentyish, but have all those thousands of years experience living as a human (at least enough to not be widely noticed).  Maybe she's tried many ways to bring wisdom and guidance to humans, Greek, Roman, Norse, etc. etc. mythology, but has always failed. You could do anything with that concept. 

You could go all the way into making her a kind of a frustrated alien who has seen it all but, but another character convinces her to try and help the people of Earth once again. Maybe during some crisis. So she adapts the technology of today while becoming a public figure as Supergirl.  She wouldn't just be another voice on Twitter or whatever, but she'd be Supergirl, and her voice would be as loud as her actions. The  possibilities go on forever. 

Shadar
Last edit: 08 Aug 2018 02:23 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Aug 2018 03:38 #60576 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Unsurprisingly...the thing I am most curious about is whether they will have a baddass female supervillain for her to go up against.or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe

More
08 Aug 2018 07:54 #60578 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Well, I saw the Aquaman trailer and a bunch of supporting merchandise at the SDCC and my immediate reactions was "It looks like DC finally decided to make a Marvel movie. About $@#&ing time..."

I want to hope WB is finally entering the "Get Zach Snyder and his fucking dystopian deconstructionist BULLSHIT the hell out of here and let's make some money!" era.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
08 Aug 2018 08:40 #60581 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

AuGoose wrote: Well, I saw the Aquaman trailer and a bunch of supporting merchandise at the SDCC and my immediate reactions was "It looks like DC finally decided to make a Marvel movie. About $@#&ing time..."

I want to hope WB is finally entering the "Get Zach Snyder and his fucking dystopian deconstructionist BULLSHIT the hell out of here and let's make some money!" era.

You and me both.

More
08 Aug 2018 10:51 #60585 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

(I'm making the story extremely simple)...

Your talking about the Ashildur storyline I think right?

Yeah, that was a really good storyline, probably one of Capaldi's best imo.

And agree, I don't want a Supergirl film like that either.

Superhero films should be about hope, heroism, challenge, sacrifice, team work, and above all fun.

If you want to tackle existential themes like immortality, alienation, identity, etc.  there are many other genres better suited.  Drama springs to mind.

That is not say superhero films shouldn't have any subtext to them or characterization.  But focus on what they are meant to be - escapist fun.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
08 Aug 2018 11:12 #60589 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Ashildur

Correct

More
08 Aug 2018 12:19 #60591 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

kikass2014 wrote:

(I'm making the story extremely simple)...

Your talking about the Ashildur storyline I think right?

Yeah, that was a really good storyline, probably one of Capaldi's best imo.

And agree, I don't want a Supergirl film like that either.

Superhero films should be about hope, heroism, challenge, sacrifice, team work, and above all fun.

If you want to tackle existential themes like immortality, alienation, identity, etc.  there are many other genres better suited.  Drama springs to mind.

That is not say superhero films shouldn't have any subtext to them or characterization.  But focus on what they are meant to be - escapist fun.

Peace.

/K

You don't have to tell that story the same way that Dr. Who did (and in fact shouldn't).  Even Dr. Who didn't tell that same story the same way.  Remember Rory at the end is actually OLDER than the Doctor!  And then there's the Doctor, but the Doctor handles that by "dying" regularly, which helps deal with the problem.

Really, i'm amazed that anyone reads that and then assumes that it's the only way to describe an immortal. Esp one that knows that _someday_ others will come.  It's different from Ashildur who had no idea what was done to her.  Nor could her brain cope with the span of her memories.  Something Rory didn't have the same problem with, but he mostly "waited" so a lot of his memories are probably so similar he just blends them together.  We don't have to give a Kryptonian the same problem.  They still have the other curses of immortality to deal with, but we can define how that's dealt with too.  (Different characters deal with that pain differently.)

And your last statements on what Super-hero films should be .. .I'm sorry I totally disagree that we should limit a sub-genre of film to be a tiny sliver of stories.  Comic Books themselves don't do this, so why should the movies/tv shows?

It's like saying that we should only make space operas and blockbuster science fiction, because that's what science fiction movies do best.  (Thus not getting films like A Man From Earth or Ex Machina.)

I will agree that Super-hero stories do work well as escapist fun, but they don't have to be just that, and it'd be pretty boring if that was the case.  Or in other words, we can have Star Wars and Star Trek (and even things that are meatier than Star Trek).

You can't tell classic Spider-Man stories without dealing with alienation and identity.  It's by bringing those topics into comics that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created such a strong character who became the cornerstone of Marvel Comics.

But we only get so many chances to see Supergirl in live action, so it'd be great if we got to see something more traditional in outlook, no matter what the backstory is.  (I'm still betting that the entire MoS easter egg is totally forgotten.) 

That said, Thor Ragnarok might be my favorite Marvel Movie, and it's solidly in the "Escapist Fun" camp.  But I also like Logan, and it's not nearly so light-hearted.

We have so many Super-Hero MOvies and TV Shows, it's ok to open up the field a bit.  It actually NEEDS to happen, or people will get tired and they'll stop getting made.

More
08 Aug 2018 15:42 #60594 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
This thread has drifted off topic, while there is a merit in the discussion we must remember that we are meant to be talking about the new film, if you want to continue the chat about immortality then let me know and I'll move the posts to a new thread.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Aug 2018 18:00 #60596 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Will this film even get made? The last I've heard of the Birds Of Prey movie was that it qualified for State of California film tax credits.

More
08 Aug 2018 18:08 #60598 by TwiceOnThursdays

andyf wrote: Will this film even get made? The last I've heard of the Birds Of Prey movie was that it qualified for State of California film tax credits.

It's too soon to tell.  Movies get dropped all the time, plans change, etc.  (Currently going on a lot of with Sony and the spider-properties, but it happens to every kind of movie.)

My rule of thumb is until there is at least a director and a screenwriter, there isn't anything.  And honestly, you also need the star cast for a movie like this.  There is a screenwriter, but no director.  Right now that means the WB is just messing around, but they're actually spending money, so it's more than nothing.

More
09 Aug 2018 03:08 #60601 by shadar
Regardless of the movie's status, here's a very interesting article about her. 

What is even better are the incredibly high-quality comments posted below it. 

io9.gizmodo.com/warner-bros-is-finally-r...ould-be-t-1828180796

The following user(s) said Thank You: elnovo1234, TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
More
09 Aug 2018 06:40 #60602 by TwiceOnThursdays

shadar wrote: Regardless of the movie's status, here's a very interesting article about her. 

Great article.  Comments are surprisingly good.

I've never seen the Deadman/Kara story XMAS story before, so I found the issue it was in and picked it up off ebay.

More
09 Aug 2018 09:08 #60603 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

shadar wrote: Regardless of the movie's status, here's a very interesting article about her. 

I've never seen the Deadman/Kara story XMAS story before, so I found the issue it was in and picked it up off ebay.

The art on that Deadman book is outstanding. A more mature Kara who has become a truly beautiful woman. I miss artwork like that in the comics. 

And the dialog is pure Kara gold. She’s best when she’s an inspirational character. And yes, some of us remember the original Kara very fondly.

Shadar

• shadar
More
09 Aug 2018 17:42 #60607 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

Back story is that the writer, Alan Brennart was blacklisted by DC for ten years after doing the "Should Old Acquaintance be Forgotten" story with Deadman and Kara, and the editor, Mark Waid was fired. Somehow Dick Giordano, who did the superb pencils and inks on that story, and also was Executive Editor of the book, managed to escape that doom. 

The story was written in 1988, two years after DC had wiped out a bunch of characters like Kara in the Crisis, with the caveat to their writers "that they don't exist. They never existed". So when this story went to print, senior management at DC had to lop off some heads to send a message to the rest of their staff to keep more "continuity leaks" from springing. Especially since everything about Kara's dialog in that story was deliberately designed to be a pointed stick in the eye aimed at DC senior management. 

It's a little-known event, today at least, but a wonderful (and rare) story came out of their insubordination. But also a book that was never valued by collectors, other than a very thin slice of Supergirl fans.. I don't know what you paid this week for the rag on Ebay, but I read somewhere that you could find that book for 50 cents in the bins at conventions back around 2010 or so. 

Anyway, the more I dig into the history of that story, the more interesting it gets. For a pre-Crisis Supergirl fan anyway.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
More
09 Aug 2018 18:41 #60608 by TwiceOnThursdays

shadar wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

Back story is that the writer, Alan Brennart was blacklisted by DC for ten years after doing the "Should Old Acquaintance be Forgotten" story with Deadman and Kara, and the editor, Mark Waid was fired. Somehow Dick Giordano, who did the superb pencils and inks on that story, and also was Executive Editor of the book, managed to escape that doom. 

The story was written in 1988, two years after DC had wiped out a bunch of characters like Kara in the Crisis, with the caveat to their writers "that they don't exist. They never existed". So when this story went to print, senior management at DC had to lop off some heads to send a message to the rest of their staff to keep more "continuity leaks" from springing. Especially since everything about Kara's dialog in that story was deliberately designed to be a pointed stick in the eye aimed at DC senior management. 

It's a little-known event, today at least, but a wonderful (and rare) story came out of their insubordination. But also a book that was never valued by collectors, other than a very thin slice of Supergirl fans.. I don't know what you paid this week for the rag on Ebay, but I read somewhere that you could find that book for 50 cents in the bins at conventions back around 2010 or so. 

Anyway, the more I dig into the history of that story, the more interesting it gets. For a pre-Crisis Supergirl fan anyway.

Shadar

It sounds like a serious over-reaction, esp since they didn't blatantly put Supergirl in the comic (She's not showing her costume, etc).  And one should expect writers to poke them in the eye every now and then.  A bit of less reprimand and a stern warning that if they'd gone farther they'd have been fired would have done the same thing.

Next time I see Waid at a convention I'm going to have to ask him about it, and maybe I'll get him to sign it. ;-)

I do like things like this.  Like Comics that have creators (writers, editors, artists) in a scene (w/ dialog or not, named or not.)  Or the times Clark Kent appears in the Marvel Universe (sometimes w/ Lois).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comics_cre..._appearing_in_comics
www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/kentclrk.htm

Or the two hipster cops:
ifanboy.com/articles/scott-snyder-uncove...d-character-mystery/

I paid (w/ shipping) ~$12 for a copy of #1 and #2 of the XMAS book in fairly decent shape (we'll see when I get it).  But there were multiple auctions on it's own of $10 (w/ shipping).

Not sure if this is just general price drive.  I suspect a worn copy might still be $1-$2 or be in a 50 cent bin.  I've probably seen it and not known I should pick it up dozens of times.

More
13 Aug 2018 14:12 #60637 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
interesting ideas on how the new movie should work with Superman

www.cbr.com/supergirl-movie-should-embrace-man-of-steel/

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Aug 2018 14:31 #60638 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

fats wrote: interesting ideas on how the new movie should work with Superman

Fats

Interesting, but I'm more interested understanding what was Snyder's plan. My money is on the Eradicator, the Kryptonian sentient weapon... which is actually very close in concept to the Matrix Supergirl.

More
13 Aug 2018 18:53 - 13 Aug 2018 18:57 #60641 by shadar

fats wrote: interesting ideas on how the new movie should work with Superman

Fats

This is such a classic look at the character that I find it really exciting. To go back to the early comics concept of Superman introducing his younger cousin to the world as Supergirl. Given the way Cavill was playing Superman at the end of the Justice movie, it would fit. 

He can be the stronger, wiser, more experienced person who guides her until she gets her feet on the ground (well, not exactly), helps her establish a secret identity so she can interact normally with people, and allows us to see her develop into her own kind of superhero. That can involve some youthful pushback to his influence, but in the end, she becomes as honorable and committed to helping the people of Earth as he is. She just does it differently. All of which was what the early Supergirl, Adventure, and Superman Family comics were all about. 

She's an alien to Earth, she knows nothing of us, and she'd be very confused at first. Not only culturally, but having to deal with suddenly having yellow-sun Kryptonian powers (which is an endlessly interesting theme to most of us here). 

It's a better origin story than the TV show, where we first see Kara after she's become completely used to living as an ordinary human, to the point of never using her abilities, but it would also borrow some from it, which could be useful for many viewers to carry over from the TV show to the movie. All that would be far more familiar to viewers that spinning off from Snyders "empty pod", which even he admits wasn't intended for Kara. (But it could be the source of a super-villain...!)

The trick is that Superman would have to play a significant role in the Supergirl movie, which is fine with me. That's how the comics worked. 

For an old Kara Zor El fan, whose fondest memories of her began in the 1960's, and whose appreciation of the character is undimmed 60+ years later, this would be awesome. But almost more than I can hope for. 

It's no surprise that CBR put this thought out there, given they are among the keepers of the comic legacy. Count me in 100%. 

And, of course, it would imply casting a young actress for Supergirl that is about the age Helen Slater was when she did the first movie (she was 18 years old, but playing someone closer to 16). 

Shadar
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 18:57 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty, Starforge

• shadar
More
15 Aug 2018 10:20 - 15 Aug 2018 10:50 #60673 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Just stumbled across this:

www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/..._supergirl_in_t.html

May be only a fringe reaction, or a PR effort for The Tylt.

--Brantley
Last edit: 15 Aug 2018 10:50 by brantley.

More
15 Aug 2018 10:46 #60674 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

brantley wrote: Just stumbled across this:

www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/..._supergirl_in_t.html

May be only a fringe reaction. Or a promo for whatever Tylt is.

--Brantley

More
15 Aug 2018 11:24 #60675 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Personally i think they should give Melissa the role.  But they probably won't.

And Chloe Grace Moretz would not be my first choice tbh.

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
15 Aug 2018 13:07 #60676 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

kikass2014 wrote: Personally i think they should give Melissa the role.  But they probably won't.

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K

I wouldn't give the role to Melissa. A younger girl as Supergirl would freshen the film up (and possibly lead to a replacement for Melissa when she calls it a day, although I'm not sure how much legs TV Supergirl has left).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2

More
15 Aug 2018 15:28 #60677 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

Monty wrote:

kikass2014 wrote: Personally i think they should give Melissa the role.  But they probably won't.

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K

I wouldn't give the role to Melissa. A younger girl as Supergirl would freshen the film up (and possibly lead to a replacement for Melissa when she calls it a day, although I'm not sure how much legs TV Supergirl has left).

The CW seems comfortable with the ratings they get so really it would depend upon how long the actors want to stay or if they get a better offer.

Chloe seems as good a choice as any.  A bit short IMO but not overly relevant if they can make a good story.  I agree with Shadar from his post above.  Fish out of water stories are a bit overdone, but they still work and it would be more in line with the original story.

Besides, fish out of water with Kryptonian powers could be immensely entertaining :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
15 Aug 2018 16:02 #60678 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

Starforge wrote:

Monty wrote:

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K

The CW seems comfortable with the ratings they get so really it would depend upon how long the actors want to stay or if they get a better offer.

Chloe seems as good a choice as any.  A bit short IMO but not overly relevant if they can make a good story.  I agree with Shadar from his post above.  Fish out of water stories are a bit overdone, but they still work and it would be more in line with the original story.

[/B] Besides, fish out of water with Kryptonian powers could be immensely entertaining :)[/B]

Espesh liked the last bit!

More
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds