Amount

Supergirl Movie coming?!?

15 Aug 2018 10:46 #60674 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

brantley wrote: Just stumbled across this:

www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/..._supergirl_in_t.html

May be only a fringe reaction. Or a promo for whatever Tylt is.

--Brantley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2018 11:24 #60675 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Personally i think they should give Melissa the role.  But they probably won't.

And Chloe Grace Moretz would not be my first choice tbh.

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
15 Aug 2018 13:07 #60676 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

kikass2014 wrote: Personally i think they should give Melissa the role.  But they probably won't.

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K

I wouldn't give the role to Melissa. A younger girl as Supergirl would freshen the film up (and possibly lead to a replacement for Melissa when she calls it a day, although I'm not sure how much legs TV Supergirl has left).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2

More
15 Aug 2018 15:28 #60677 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

Monty wrote:

kikass2014 wrote: Personally i think they should give Melissa the role.  But they probably won't.

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K

I wouldn't give the role to Melissa. A younger girl as Supergirl would freshen the film up (and possibly lead to a replacement for Melissa when she calls it a day, although I'm not sure how much legs TV Supergirl has left).

The CW seems comfortable with the ratings they get so really it would depend upon how long the actors want to stay or if they get a better offer.

Chloe seems as good a choice as any.  A bit short IMO but not overly relevant if they can make a good story.  I agree with Shadar from his post above.  Fish out of water stories are a bit overdone, but they still work and it would be more in line with the original story.

Besides, fish out of water with Kryptonian powers could be immensely entertaining :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
15 Aug 2018 16:02 #60678 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

Starforge wrote:

Monty wrote:

Just my thought.

Peace.

/K

The CW seems comfortable with the ratings they get so really it would depend upon how long the actors want to stay or if they get a better offer.

Chloe seems as good a choice as any.  A bit short IMO but not overly relevant if they can make a good story.  I agree with Shadar from his post above.  Fish out of water stories are a bit overdone, but they still work and it would be more in line with the original story.

[/B] Besides, fish out of water with Kryptonian powers could be immensely entertaining :)[/B]

Espesh liked the last bit!

More
15 Aug 2018 16:54 #60679 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
"Fish out of water -- FOW" is probably a good label for the whole concept of a young Kryptonian female coming to Earth and the challenges in fitting in. The comics have done this well several times. 

It can lead to humorous FOW moments like this with the comic-version of Cat Grant:

Or this classic fail where she's trying to fit into a typical American high school, and it goes so terribly wrong trying to pretend she's something she's not that, in frustration, she just winds up revealing herself.

You could even crank in a FOW moment where she meets Wonder Woman (given she's a DCEU property) and greatly underestimates the Amazon:

I for one would love a DCEU movie that involved Superman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman, but was telling the story of how SG came to Earth and began learning how to live here. 

Shadar

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe, Starforge

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
15 Aug 2018 19:16 - 15 Aug 2018 19:17 #60681 by shadar
Found another panel from that "high school secret identity failure  FOW" story involving Claire Connor (aka Kara Zor El).   This panel is the one that immediately precedes the one I posted in the previous message: 

And another panel where she's having trouble sorting out who the good guys are:

Shadar

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 15 Aug 2018 19:17 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Monty, veggicidal

• shadar
More
12 Sep 2018 15:39 - 12 Sep 2018 15:40 #61088 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Back on topic talking about the movie.....

Big news out of WB today with Henry Cavill out now as Superman.  This week with Affleck's issues, was also rumored that Ryan Gosling might be offered the role.

With arguably two of DC's biggest headliners in limbo, this seemingly puts a Supergirl movie more on the front burner now......

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/he...rse-shake-up-1142306
Last edit: 12 Sep 2018 15:40 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe, kikass2014

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Sep 2018 15:43 #61089 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Hollywood Reporter reports Henry Cecil is out as Superman . He's was set to appear in Shazam, but that fell apart due to schedule issues.. No new Superman movie is going to appear vote some time. Great news is Super girl  is going full speed ahead with an.origin film.

More
12 Sep 2018 16:04 #61090 by kikass2014
Interesting article.  Thank you Lfan.

If I'm honest, I'm not really surprised that Cavil seems to have decided to move on.  Personally, I think its more WB loss then his.

Cavil is a good actor, but the character of Superman (as has been discussed at length), was awful.  There were some highlights in the JL movie, but it seems like it was too little too late.

The best thing WB could do is use Supergirl as a soft-reboot of the whole DCEU.  I would even go as far as recasting WW, ditching/recasting Flash (horrible casting choice) and Aquaman (even among comic book readers, he is a joke), and start fresh.  Cyborg seems to have disappeared, and there hasn't been talk of the Green Lanters Corp. movie in a while.  So just wipe the slate clean and begin again.

A lot will depend on the box office of Shazam! and Aquaman.  Personally, I can see them both bombing, especially Aquaman.  But Shazam seems to have a nice vibe to it, which may help sell it to casuals.  We'll see.

Peace.

/K

More
12 Sep 2018 16:19 #61091 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

kikass2014 wrote: Interesting article.  Thank you Lfan.

If I'm honest, I'm not really surprised that Cavil seems to have decided to move on.  Personally, I think its more WB loss then his.

Cavil is a good actor, but the character of Superman (as has been discussed at length), was awful.  There were some highlights in the JL movie, but it seems like it was too little too late.

The best thing WB could do is use Supergirl as a soft-reboot of the whole DCEU.  I would even go as far as recasting WW, ditching/recasting Flash (horrible casting choice) and Aquaman (even among comic book readers, he is a joke), and start fresh.  Cyborg seems to have disappeared, and there hasn't been talk of the Green Lanters Corp. movie in a while.  So just wipe the slate clean and begin again.

A lot will depend on the box office of Shazam! and Aquaman.  Personally, I can see them both bombing, especially Aquaman.  But Shazam seems to have a nice vibe to it, which may help sell it to casuals.  We'll see.

Peace.

/K

if there anything of DCEU you actually like?

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2

More
12 Sep 2018 16:29 #61092 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
Cavil was perfect to play Superman.   I agree more DCs loss than his.

i think you recast as needed.   I liked the actors in JL, you just need to write the movie right.

I think Gal isn’t going to be changed until after WW2, and if it does well she will stay.

honestly I see more need to have better story and character choices than replace everyone.  If you need to do that to get to the goal, do it.   But have a plan first.

DC put the cart before the horse trying to do JL before the individual films.   Marvel built to the Avengers.  I’d tell DC to do the same.  Make a good Shazam.  Make a good WW2.  Make a good Supergirl. Make a Gotham Sirens or Birds of Prey flick. (It’s too late to change Aquaman)

Then assess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2, kikass2014

More
12 Sep 2018 19:07 #61093 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Cavil was perfect to play Superman.   I agree more DCs loss than his.

i think you recast as needed.   I liked the actors in JL, you just need to write the movie right.

I think Gal isn’t going to be changed until after WW2, and if it does well she will stay.

honestly I see more need to have better story and character choices than replace everyone.  If you need to do that to get to the goal, do it.   But have a plan first.

DC put the cart before the horse trying to do JL before the individual films.   Marvel built to the Avengers.  I’d tell DC to do the same.  Make a good Shazam.  Make a good WW2.  Make a good Supergirl. Make a Gotham Sirens or Birds of Prey flick. (It’s too late to change Aquaman)

Then assess.

I agree that Cavil was the perfect Superman. His problem was lousy scripts. Perhaps he now wants to improve his chops as an actor by working on movies with good scripts. You don't get to be at the top of the pyramid of actors by accepting poor scripts. Also, the Superman role can define an actor (and limit them) if they become too strongly identified with it. That hurt Reeves, and on a related theme, Connery had a hard time escaping his identification with the Bond role because he did too many movies and became defined by the role. 

Despite my early misgivings about Gal, she's now the iconic WW in my eyes. But that's not a terribly high bar given I'm one of the odd people here who did not like Lynda Carter in the TV role. I had given up on this franchise until Gal took it on with Patty directing. Now I'm a fan again. But then, I'm in love with the way Gal laughs. <grin>

But as long as all this churning increases the chances of a Supergirl movie, then it's all water under the bridge in my mind. That would be a great payoff. Naturally, with the right actress and right script. 

But then, I'm very fond of Kryptonian characters. That's never going to change, good movies or bad. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
12 Sep 2018 22:55 - 12 Sep 2018 23:03 #61100 by kikass2014

if there anything of DCEU you actually like?

Good question.  If I'm honest, as a DC fan, no there is pretty much nothing I like in the DCEU.  The tone is all wrong, the characters are wrong, and the stories are terrible.

DC comics has a history of iconic stories.  Should have used them, like Marvel did - i.e. Infinity Gauntlet; Civil War.

As films, there is even less to like if I am honest.  When you break down any DCEU film, plot, character, pace, are all over the place.  And this isn't me saying it, others have commented on them to.  They are bad films.

The shining example people use is Wonder Woman, and to be fair, it was the best of them on every level.  BUT it was almost LITERALLY Captain America: The First Avenger.  Sure, there were some slight tweeks, but overall it was the same.  So they had a solid template to work from.

It was also certainly helped immensely by Chris Pine doing a lot of the heavy-lifting (despite being the supporting character). And played as a "fish out of water" style story, it played to Gal's strengths as an actress.  But the problem going forward is, can you keep making that film?  The answer is no. The novelty wears off after the first iteration.  As an example, JL should have made more then it did simply due to the "fans" that made WW big bucks.  Where were they to see their "star" in her new movie?  To compare, the Captain America films all made progressively more money.  Because people (those who had even never read Captain America comics) bought into his character and story.  Not his hype.

If you feel or think its just prejudice of some kind that I have, I hope I have, at least partially, dispelled that by outlining not only what I like, nothing, but also why I don't like it :)

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 12 Sep 2018 23:03 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starforge

More
14 Sep 2018 16:47 - 14 Sep 2018 16:53 #61128 by shadar
Came across this on DigitalSpy:

Regarding Kara's origin in the upcoming Supergirl movie. In the original comic, she came from Argo City (and asteroid city) and she left much later than Superman left Krypton:

"However, this was adjusted when the character was reintroduced to the DC Universe in 2004 with The Supergirl from Krypton. In this version, she left Krypton at the same time as an infant Superman, only to be put into suspended animation when her rocket hit an asteroid and she arrived on Earth 30 years later.

The possibility for the new Supergirl movie is that it shortens the suspended animation part and the Supergirl we meet is still older than Superman. This opens the chance for Warner Bros to cast a younger actor as Superman, even if this version couldn't then crossover with the likes of  Aquaman  and  Wonder Woman ."

If this comes to pass, then the choice of actresses for SG also expands.  Anyway, interesting speculation.

Maybe an early twentyish SG (much like MB in the TV show) with a teenage Superman. That could work. 

I guess it depends on how well DC wants to integrate all their characters. If they want them to all stay integrated, then that leads to problems given that all their storytelling in all their movie franchises have to stay in sync. That would add a lot of overhead, keeping everything synchronized.

The storytelling could be more flexible and innovative if the movies can operate more freely. But then you lose one of the things that has made Marvel movies fun (team-ups). But then, WW is essentially immortal, and maybe Aguaman is too, and Kryptonian aging can be portrayed several ways.

Shadar
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 16:53 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• shadar
More
14 Sep 2018 17:21 #61129 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
If you are going to have a Super- GIRL older than your Super-MAN that is going to raise some hackles.

I think we are straying off the Supergirl tv show theme here with this line of conversation.

More
14 Sep 2018 17:29 - 14 Sep 2018 17:55 #61130 by shadar

Markiehoe wrote: If you are going to have a Super- GIRL older than your Super-MAN that is going to raise some hackles.

I think we are straying off the Supergirl tv show theme here with this line of conversation.

My bad. I should have posted this on the movie thread.

Perhaps a moderator can move it where it belongs?

shadar
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 17:55 by shadar.

• shadar
More
17 Sep 2018 21:25 - 17 Sep 2018 21:26 #61189 by Albais
Replied by Albais on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
And new info of in which time movie will happens...

www.themarysue.com/supergirl-1970s/
Last edit: 17 Sep 2018 21:26 by Albais. Reason: Wrong worrd
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SCOTT R, Markiehoe

More
17 Sep 2018 23:27 #61199 by TwiceOnThursdays

Albais wrote: And new info of in which time movie will happens...

Do not agree with the article talking about period pieces - as they apply to Supergirl.  I like the Mary Sue but the last part of the article is all reasons that have nothing to do with Supergirl.

The points are either totally non-applicable -- Supergirl is standalone here by design so we won't see younger versions of existing characters, and what they mention doesn't quite work for a first movie.  (Wonder Woman didn't do any of this either).

All the points about Wonder Woman were valid for Wonder Woman, but don't apply to Supergirl, someone who grew up in a technologically advanced society.  Seeing tech from 2018 Earth is probably quaint to her.  Krypton had been watching Earth too, she probably has some acclimation (knowing English, etc).

The first stated reasons:

- differentiate the DCEU Supergirl from the Arrowverse’s Kara Danvers.
- frees Supergirl from any Justice League plot points or expectations to include DC’s film heroes

Also have nothing to do with the movie.  Supergirl does need to differentiate itself from the TV Show of the same name, but if the main device you use to do that is a simple cheat (new time period), then the writer, director, and actors aren't focusing on the right things.   It needs to really answer that question to make a good movie, not try to gloss over it.

As for the second point, that trick never works.  And it's pointless to try.  Just write the damn movie and focus on making it good.  Then tell the rabid people to STFU.  I actually like "new Star Trek" and love Leonard Nimoy, but every minute he was on the screen in New Star Trek was a waste of story-time, and kept the movie from actually focusing on what it should be doing.   OTH it was weaponized nostalgia, which is what they were going for.  it just doesn't work long haul, and why new Trek didn't have an OK movie until #3, where it started to try to actually figure out what it was. (And why it's stalled now.)  DC can't spend another 2-3 movies just pissing around.  And if they want something to last, they need to focus on the character in each movie.  That's what stand alone movies are for.

The article also lists the other Super hero movies that did this, making it seem like the choice was "we'll copy what other cool kids are doing".  Though I know that is a conceit of the writer of the story rather than the studio.  Or something even WORSE.  "We had one success, a movie about a woman super-hero set in the past." So they're aping the superficial stuff of Wonder Woman to design Supergirl. (If this is the case, I'm sorry to say Supergirl will suck unless we get REALLY lucky.)

- Wonder Woman was set in the past for the reasons outlined in the article (which have no bearing on Supergirl).
- X-Men First Class (etc) was set in the past to be a reset on a turgid franchise, and to do that part that it said (it was fun seeing the characters as younger people, and seeing how they became the characters in the later films).  Doesn't work if we're meeting Supergirl for the first time.
- Captain Marvel is set in the past because Marvel needed to solve a problem: How does Carol emerge as a skilled powerhouse if she's new?  Marvel also wanted to have Super-heroic history happening "in secret" from WW II to Iron Man I.  They can only do that by backfilling (as was done in the history of Ant-Man).  This is probably the biggest cheat of the reasons above ... but it also works in context of what marvel was building and how they puzzled their movies together.  It works precisely because there are a lot of Marvel movies and they've been thinking about these things and the timeline.  DC hasn't got either ( a lot of movies) or a lot of thought about the timeline.

Supergirl seems to be set in the past because .... ?   I think the answer to this is "because DC doesn't want to give up on the DC Cinematic Universe", so telling this story in the past gives them an ability to make a movie and not contradict any current "history" and then piece it into the movie.  Well, as long as you answer the question "Where was Supergirl during Man of Steel?"  She can't be a hero and sit out an invasion of Earth (even by her own people).

So at the end of the movie Supergirl gets trapped (in stasis/phantom zone, etc) and then they can decant her into a modern movie as needed.  Or she leaves Earth, and wanders the galaxy coming back to Earth maybe because she received some signal from Zod's arrival.  I think i've heard this used in another movie about a female super hero in the past ..... oh, yeah, it's the end plot of Captain Marvel.

But they're writing a movie, and hamstringing plot points -- you CAN'T have Supergirl be part of this tapestry, in the past, and NOT have an answer for the question.    So the correct answer is "you have to deal with it anyway, so DEAL WITH IT".  Shit or get off the pot.

I would write the movie and have the main world noticeable events take place in a short timespan where you don't have to ask "where is the Justice League and Superman?"  And then focus on WHO this Kara is, and why this movie exists and what it explores the TV Show doesn't.  Then you sidestep the entire DC Timeline, while others try to figure out what to do to salvage the mess.

You do similar things with the Batgirl and Harley Quinn movies -- narrow the scale so they do not need to intersect with the other DC properties (i.e. no Suicide Squad world threat ending).  This lets DC focus on what they should be doing:

- properly defining their characters and giving the actors time to breathe into the roles
- writing a good movie

And DO NOT have Batman or Superman show up in either movie!  DC's problem is relying too much on the quick hit of their two best characters to carry them through.  Suicide Squad should never have had Joker or Batman in it, because that forces the movie to figure out what it should be.   Also, maybe figure out what the movie should be BEFORE you start filming.  (That's the real lesson of Suicide Squad and JL.)

This news doesn't make me pessimistic about Supergirl, it's just window dressing on the story. OTH, I don't see any good news in it either.

More
18 Sep 2018 01:15 #61202 by shadar

I would enjoy the SG movie set in the 70's for personal reasons (I was 22 in 1970, so lots of good memories of the 70's). Good SG costumes back then as well. 

But this is DC. Unless I'm missing something, where was Wonder Woman during WWII and the Cold War?  On vacation?  Moved back to Themosyra?  Or is the 1984 movie going to have flashbacks to the 40's or whatever. How do they explain the holes?

SG would have same problem, especially with being absent during MOS, but as Twice has suggested, there are workarounds. Like her not being on Earth. Or maybe her story doesn't take place on our Earth. Total freedom on that one, but not sure how well that would work with a general audience.

Totally agree with Twice that this article doesn't build confidence in the movie being good, but it does add support to the hope that they are seriously thinking about making the movie. That's very good.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: hideki

• shadar
More
18 Sep 2018 01:58 #61204 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?
I realize that these issues are complex, but my take is that WB is making the mistake of simply trying to put out content that makes money using existing formulas

Maybe Iron Man was just the same thing and lucky but they made a good decision to have an overall plan, made good hires and have had mostly decent writing.  Even the movies where the writing is weak, many times the humor is there to take up the slack.

DC had one hit and now they want to replicate it.  It can certainly be done and I wish them the best but, unlike Marvel (and maybe to DC's advantage) my expectations are going to remain low until they can prove otherwise.  As long as they are throwing money at our favorite type of content I can remain hopeful that they'll get something right eventually.

More
18 Sep 2018 02:39 #61205 by shadar
Hey, look at the bright side. Even if the SG movie is poorly written and has many problems, it's STILL a big-budget Supergirl movie and some good scenes and some great imagery is almost certain to come out of it. 

So worst case, that's WAY BETTER than no movie. 

And until it is made and shows, we can entertain ourselves thinking up ways it could be done well, and sifting the tea leaves of internet gossip to judge how well we think the studio is actually doing it. That's all good.

The only bad path is the one that ends with them not making the movie. But that's no fun to talk about. So let's be optimistic and hope for the best. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, SCOTT R

• shadar
More
18 Sep 2018 02:58 #61206 by TwiceOnThursdays

shadar wrote: Hey, look at the bright side. Even if the SG movie is poorly written and has many problems, it's STILL a big-budget Supergirl movie and some good scenes and some great imagery is almost certain to come out of it. 

So worst case, that's WAY BETTER than no movie. 

And until it is made and shows, we can entertain ourselves thinking up ways it could be done well, and sifting the tea leaves of internet gossip to judge how well we think the studio is actually doing it. That's all good.

The only bad path is the one that ends with them not making the movie. But that's no fun to talk about. So let's be optimistic and hope for the best. 

Shadar

This is all true, and a way to stay positive.

I take what wev'e got so far as neutral, don't know enough to know anything.

But it's fun to speculate.   And to think of casting,etc as the variables align.

I really hope that someone who really wants to see a sexy woman do lots of super-femme feats gets a good position in the movie.  (Lifting heavy things, bending metal, intimidating large men with her strength even though she's much smaller, etc).

Heck, even though it's not my thing, a good super-breath scene would be aces too (as I know it IS some other people's thing).

They'd have the budget to do it right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, shadar, SCOTT R

More
18 Sep 2018 11:03 #61211 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Movie coming?!?

shadar wrote:

I would enjoy the SG movie set in the 70's for personal reasons (I was 22 in 1970, so lots of good memories of the 70's). Good SG costumes back then as well. 

But this is DC. Unless I'm missing something, where was Wonder Woman during WWII and the Cold War?  On vacation?  Moved back to Themosyra?  Or is the 1984 movie going to have flashbacks to the 40's or whatever. How do they explain the holes?

SG would have same problem, especially with being absent during MOS, but as Twice has suggested, there are workarounds. Like her not being on Earth. Or maybe her story doesn't take place on our Earth. Total freedom on that one, but not sure how well that would work with a general audience.

Totally agree with Twice that this article doesn't build confidence in the movie being good, but it does add support to the hope that they are seriously thinking about making the movie. That's very good.

Shadar

According to Justice League, the idea is that from 1917 to 2017 Diana was hiding in some hole mourning over the death of Steve Trevor, which is one of the many reasons why I think the DCEU really need to stop and start from scratch.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Sep 2018 11:23 #61213 by shadar

Woodclaw wrote:

shadar wrote:

Shadar

According to Justice League, the idea is that from 1917 to 2017 Diana was hiding in some hole mourning over the death of Steve Trevor, which is one of the many reasons why I think the DCEU really need to stop and start from scratch.

That's the best they can do?  Pretty sad. She's not a quitter and she's not going to sit around for a hundred years moping while the world burns around her during another world war. 

All they had to do was to say that she went back to Themosyra to isolate herself from the world of men -- just as has always been the case with Amazons. She wouldn't even know what was happening in our world and time probably operates differently there anyway. 

The only device they need is another reason for her to come to the world of men. Something she couldn't ignore. 

Her hiding in a museum is very weak and unnecessary given the character, all for a bit of a Batman connection that isn't required. 

Hopefully, they will do better in explaining where SG went from the 70's until whenever it is they surface her again. She can be traveling the universe helping other worlds, diving wormholes and otherwise mucking about with time until she reappears on Earth. Easy. 

Unlike Superman, this isn't really her home. But she has a soft spot for humans.

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds