Amount

Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?

26 Aug 2018 20:47 #60837 by DustyBottums
Replied by DustyBottums on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?
Maybe we shouldn't get too excited. There's a theory that they don't even want to make the movie; it's just a bargaining move to get Henry Cavill to re-up as Supes.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2018 00:31 #60838 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?
I think there is a new breeze blowing in Hollywood.
The cast of Guardians of the Galaxy tried to play hardball with the studio and throw their weight around and they have all been benched.
Henry Cavill better figure out which team he wants to play for quick.

Supergirl is on the on deck circle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
04 Sep 2018 19:44 #60944 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?
It looks like Superman has moved on.
Supergirl movie looks better now.

comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/04/the-witcher-henry-cavill/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
04 Sep 2018 20:42 #60945 by shadar

Markiehoe wrote: It looks like Superman has moved on.
Supergirl movie looks better now.

comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/04/the-witcher-henry-cavill/


Nothing here says he couldn’t still do more roles as Superman if he wants to. The danger is that he gets too strongly type-cast, so he may pass on Superman when given the opportunity. 

Reeves had a problem with type-casting before he was injured. Whenever I saw him playling another role, I kept thinking Superman. I don’t feel that way about Cavil, although I suppose YMMV. 

But then, anything that increases the probability of a decent Supergirl movie is welcomed by me. Put Patty Jenkins on the job (if she’s not loaded up with WW forever, which would be Ok too) and see if she can interpret another DC female superhero in a satisfactory way. Zack Snyder would totally screw it up, but then I think that everything Snylder does. But Josh Whedon?  He proved his chops with Buffy and Firefly in my book. He understands how to portray strong women. He claims he’s never outgrown his love of teenage superheroines.

In that regard, I get hiim. I haven’t either. 

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2018 23:52 #60947 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?
Theres been rumors going around (for a while now), that Cavill could be up for the role of Bond once Craig leaves.  The Witcher is certainly an interesting choice, and has potential.

I agree with you Shadar, Reeves couldn't quite shake off that Superman image for me either, though I do remember him being a decent actor to be fair.  He was good in Noises Off and Somewhere in Time (can't remember the title, but a pretty moving love tale involving time travel if i remember correct).

I don't think Cavill will have that problem.  He was really good (imo) in Man from Uncle, and also in MI:Fallout.  I didn't once think of him as Supes in those films. So if MOS 2 doesn't materialize, or if he doesn't fancy it, he will have options for sure.

With regards to Supergirl, its still just talk.  Nothing has been mentioned (at least I haven't seen anything) to suggest it has gone beyond execs mentioning it.

And tbh, I wouldn't let Patty Jenkins near it.  I heard her at the SDCC panel this year, she just does not get WW tbh.  That film lucked out, in terms of box office, on the zeitgeist and IMMENSE hype from everyone and their mother.

I would much prefer Joss to take the helm (and write) on that.  At least he gets superheroines/strong women and has the credentials to back it up.

Peace.

/K

P.S.  Good shout on Ireland Baldwin as a casting call.  In that bikini shot, I can definitely see a lot of her mother in her.  Though I'm not sure she is an actress like her by trade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 05:59 #60949 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote: Theres been rumors going around (for a while now), that Cavill could be up for the role of Bond once Craig leaves.  The Witcher is certainly an interesting choice, and has potential.

I agree with you Shadar, Reeves couldn't quite shake off that Superman image for me either, though I do remember him being a decent actor to be fair.  He was good in Noises Off and Somewhere in Time (can't remember the title, but a pretty moving love tale involving time travel if i remember correct).

I don't think Cavill will have that problem.  He was really good (imo) in Man from Uncle, and also in MI:Fallout.  I didn't once think of him as Supes in those films. So if MOS 2 doesn't materialize, or if he doesn't fancy it, he will have options for sure.

With regards to Supergirl, its still just talk.  Nothing has been mentioned (at least I haven't seen anything) to suggest it has gone beyond execs mentioning it.

And tbh, I wouldn't let Patty Jenkins near it.  I heard her at the SDCC panel this year, she just does not get WW tbh.  That film lucked out, in terms of box office, on the zeitgeist and IMMENSE hype from everyone and their mother.

I would much prefer Joss to take the helm (and write) on that.  At least he gets superheroines/strong women and has the credentials to back it up.

Peace.

/K

P.S.  Good shout on Ireland Baldwin as a casting call.  In that bikini shot, I can definitely see a lot of her mother in her.  Though I'm not sure she is an actress like her by trade.



Interesting what you say about Jenkins. I haven't dug into her as a person and only see her through the WW movie, which I don't buy was just luck. But based on your advice, I'll reserve judgment on her until I know more. 

We seem to agree on Joss. Doesn't mean he's the best, but he is a known quantity. Trick with Joss is that he needs to get on early and do the development. Story has to be his for him to do his best work. Hiring him as Director and then giving him a script to work off would be a total waste. 

As far as Ireland goes, I watched an interview she gave the other day. I wasn't impressed. She's not very articulate. But then, neither was her mom. But her mom could act, after a fashion. Remains to be seen if Ireland got those genes too. She doesn't seem completely sorted out yet. Some actor's kids hit the ground running, but I'm not sure she's one of them. I always thought her mom was uniquely beautiful. And she definitely bears her resemblance, albeit in a much taller body.

If we want a SG who is (portrayed) in her late teens and is taller than most men and capable of being physically intimidating when she needs to be, then that might work for Ireland. I could see it working for a 21st century SG. To accentuate the projection of physical power between Kara/Linda (who lacks power) and Supergirl (who epitomizes it). But the 6'2" thing would make her secret identity a lot harder, given that height for women is at the 99.999+ percentile. Z-score of 3.8.

But in the end, there are many interpretations of SG that I could get behind. From petite and gentle to muscular and kickass to tall and beautiful and determined.  

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 09:05 #60952 by theomach
How about Elle Fanning? She may be a bit young at 20 yrs. old, but she's tall 5'9" and she's very cute, and can act.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 14:19 - 05 Sep 2018 14:20 #60967 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?

She's not very articulate...


LOL :D Best euphamism ever if you meant it as such Shadar :)

Tbh, I'm also not exactly sure what Ireland does, though for some reason I remember her modeling (to lazy to google her lol).

Her mother though was indeed a very attractive woman for sure.  And although she didn't shine that often in the acting department, she could certainly act imo - Golden Globe winner and Academy Award winner (LA Confidential is a great film and a great performance from her).

Totally agree with you on Whedon.  He NEEDS to write and direct to do his best work.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 05 Sep 2018 14:20 by kikass2014.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 16:07 #60969 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?
Didn't Wheadon back out of the Batgirl movie because he literally said he didn't know what to do with her?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
05 Sep 2018 22:39 #60986 by Woodclaw

Markiehoe wrote: Didn't Wheadon back out of the Batgirl movie because he literally said he didn't know what to do with her?


The details about that deal were a bit more foggy, I think.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2018 02:18 #60992 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Who would you want to play SG in the new movie?

Markiehoe wrote: Didn't Wheadon back out of the Batgirl movie because he literally said he didn't know what to do with her?

A few things were going on.Whedon said that he had ideas for the movie when he took the job.Later he got into some #metoo hot water (cheated on wife, she says he mistreated her, etc).  nothing major, but when you are peceived as much a feminist as Joss is, just of bit of that is bad.A bit after that, Joss said "“Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn’t have a story.”https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joss-whedon-batgirl-movie-exits-1202708059/
The statment reads as one of those nice polite things that are said to cover up the real story.So I've always wondered what went on.  Did something happen between him and DC?  Did he decide (w/ DC) that Batgirl didn't need to be made under a cloud so walked away so the project could suceed/fail on it's own merits?   Or is it just the truth that Whedon couldn't figure out what to do with Batgirl?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • TwiceOnThursdays
  • TwiceOnThursdays's Avatar
  • Online
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
Time to create page: 0.782 seconds