Amount

Captain Marvel trailer

04 Dec 2018 14:42 #62221 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Captain Marvel trailer

kikass2014 wrote: Trailer was fine.  Gave a little bit more backstory to the character for newer fans of the MCU, without giving the whole story away.

And quite a few of the shots in the trailer were repeats from the teaser, again, not to give away the story or show the whole film.

This is fine imo.  People always complain that trailers now give away the whole film.  So its refreshing to go into a film and still be surprised.

Did it blow me away like say, CA: The Winter Soldier, or original Avengers or even Civil War?  Nope.  But those had already built up their characters and arcs.  This is a new character so we have no investment in her yet.  This is meant to pique our interest.  Which I think it does.

Box office I expect it to make MUCH more then it normally would, simply because of its ties to Avengers 4 - its the last piece before that epic story which started "with an idea" comes to an end :)

Can Brie Larson pull off the role?  Yes without a doubt, she has the acting chops to do it.  People say she says her lines in a strange way, or her expressions are this or that.  We each have an idea of how "our" Captain Marvel would look and sound, but this is the one Marvel have chosen.  Will it work?  Time will tell.  I personally have now problem with it with what I have seen so far.

Bonus geek points for seeing her go Super Saiyan at the end :)

Just my thoughts :)

Peace.

/K

It's the usual problem with trying to introduce a woman in a movie who has an extensive background. Forget the superpowers at first. Carol was a fighter pilot, a spy, a Security Chief for a major base, some kind of special forces fighter, etc.  The women who have had any one of those roles in real life, let alone all of them, would have a certain gravitas about them. A physical confidence and "get it done" directness that's immediately visible. It's always been hard for a woman to excel at those things given they are traditionally male roles. 

I met a female fighter pilot once, and she wasn't all that different than the usual cocky male fighter pilots. Very competitive and focused. 

Carol does not initially show any of those traits. Maybe she lost all that when she got her memories wiped and went back to being an ordinary woman, and had to learn to be tough and powerful again, which perhaps she does over the course of the movie. Recalling her suppressed memories and gaining strength from them. That would be great if they made that a point of her character development. That she becomes great at the end because she has all those experiences to draw upon after she remembers and relives them. And it's possible this is exactly what they are doing with her in the movie, which would make it work for me. But can't truly tell from the trailer. 

What she most definitely ISN'T is an ordinary woman who gained superpowers. She's an extreme and extraordinary woman who gained superpowers. Which makes her twice as mighty. At least, in the comics, which is all we have to compare to at this stage. 

It may just be the way the trailer was edited that made me think "she's too wimpy to have had all those experiences".. Hopefully, I won't feel that way after seeing what they do with her in the movie. No doubt that Brie can act if appropriately directed. 

In any case, an interesting movie. I will leave the door open with the hope of being delighted. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Dec 2018 14:53 #62222 by shadar
By the way, Monday Night Football, which has a huge viewership, talked up and promoted and then showed this trailer as part of the Half Time show. That's unusual and says that it's going to be extensively promoted. They even had the female sideline commenters talking it up just before halftime. 

That cost the studio a pretty penny, integrating a promo into the game commentary and half time.

Perhaps they've truly decided that female superheroines can engage a huge audience and are going for broke. WW was promoted in such ways as well. 

That alone would be awesome for those of us who are long-term fans of the genre. To see superheroines nudging out male superheroes for the audience's highest level of attention. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
04 Dec 2018 15:54 - 04 Dec 2018 15:55 #62225 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Captain Marvel trailer
Totally take your point Shadar.

I think the main thing with this, like every MCU character, is that this isn't strictly speaking, the comic book version of Carol Danvers.  As such, she will come across as different, because we look on her with that wealth of history in the comics defining her.  When viewed in that light, sure the character seems "off" as we don't yet know her.  Like you say, maybe the film will show us. Or maybe they take the character in a different direction for the MCU, like they have with others.  I'm fine either way tbh.

With regards to the football promotion, I understand Disney owns the channel that the trailer debuted on, as they also own Good Morning America, another place where the MCU showcases new trailers.  Agree it still nice to see superheroines getting some limelight :)

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 04 Dec 2018 15:55 by kikass2014.

More
04 Dec 2018 17:25 #62226 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Captain Marvel trailer
14 hours and nearly 9m views, not bad.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Dec 2018 21:01 #62227 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Captain Marvel trailer
The trailer looks pretty good although it seem like Carol's power would be "standard-issue Kree", rather than being something unique.
I hope that the cat scene is the silliest moment in the entire movie, because if the wacky humor worked great in Guardians of the Galaxy I don't think that every other production should have it.

More
08 Jan 2019 04:32 #62530 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Captain Marvel trailer
New footage. Looking better and better

The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, shadar, Wotan45, RevTekkX, kshoo, smoki07, Ravens_ghost, aguilauno, reddofnonnac, TheOne25, Gargamel, Starforge, Woody

More
08 Jan 2019 21:07 #62533 by shadar
Here's another article with some excellent background info:

io9.gizmodo.com/captain-marvel-will-brin...anvers-to-1831497102

Shadar

• shadar
More
09 Jan 2019 07:11 - 09 Jan 2019 07:17 #62537 by Gargamel
Replied by Gargamel on topic Captain Marvel trailer

shadar wrote: Here's another article with some excellent background info:

io9.gizmodo.com/captain-marvel-will-brin...anvers-to-1831497102

Shadar

"Jackson is so anxious to brag about his co-star, he took out his iPhone (complete with  Mr. Glass purple rubber  case) and started going through his texts. Finally, he came upon a video Larson sent him of her pushing a Jeep up a hill, backwards. (Which, unfortunately, isn’t online.) “So yeah, I’m impressed with what she’s doing,” he said."
If someone could hack furys phone please..
But at least in the article there is a workout vid of Larsen training with a 275lb (so it says) barbell. Btw don't read the article if you don't want to have tiny amounts of spoilers
Last edit: 09 Jan 2019 07:17 by Gargamel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX

More
09 Jan 2019 17:41 #62541 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Captain Marvel trailer

Woodclaw wrote: The trailer looks pretty good although it seem like Carol's power would be "standard-issue Kree", rather than being something unique.
I hope that the cat scene is the silliest moment in the entire movie, because if the wacky humor worked great in Guardians of the Galaxy I don't think that every other production should have it.

I highly doubt Carol's power will be anything like astandard Kree. The first half of Agents of Shield Season 5 had loads of Kree
(including warriors) in it and while they did have super strength it was more
at the Captain America level rather than Superman. I know the movies don't have
much link with the TV shows but they wouldn't deviate much on something so
basic.

More
10 Jan 2019 00:26 #62553 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Captain Marvel trailer
Okay - I can feel my hopes/expectations getting too high.  I think I need to go into blackout mode.  Haha.   <Fingers Crossed>

More
10 Jan 2019 03:18 #62559 by MisterK
Replied by MisterK on topic Captain Marvel trailer
I actually think it looks pretty awesome, at least going by the superhero action. But now that you mention it, I'm not seeing a whole lot of comedy. Maybe that reflects what's in the movie. Maybe not. It would be a shame if they don't make it funny. I mean,, that's part of the fun!

More
10 Jan 2019 06:07 #62561 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Captain Marvel trailer

The Highlander wrote:

Woodclaw wrote: The trailer looks pretty good although it seem like Carol's power would be "standard-issue Kree", rather than being something unique.

I highly doubt Carol's power will be anything like astandard Kree. The first half of Agents of Shield Season 5 had loads of Kree
(including warriors) in it and while they did have super strength it was more
at the Captain America level rather than Superman. I know the movies don't have
much link with the TV shows but they wouldn't deviate much on something so
basic.

One of the caveats in the comics is that the kree are "evolutionarially locked".  So a few have some power (like Ronan the Accuser) but most don't and it's hard for them to get them.  (Other than their natively enhanced strength.)

But mix in human DNA and things change, as evidence by the inhumans.  (True both on Agents of SHIELD and the comics.)

In the comics it was just revealed that Carol's mom was kree all along, and she was always half-kree, I'm suspecting that this was done to bring her into alignment with the movie .... 

As a half-human hybrid  she's  more likely to get extra-powers than any Kree.  And when you add in purposeful experimentation to bring them out  (which seemed to be in the first trailer) ....

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds