Amount

Supergirl movie to start production in Q1 2020?

01 Jun 2019 05:05 #64186 by lfan
Well, that what Forbes is reporting in this article (scroll down):

www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/05/...batman/#2e10cade1555

Also mentioned that casting info could be coming in a couple of months.  Probably makes sense to coordinate it with SDCC maybe?

elf
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Jun 2019 06:56 #64187 by shadar

lfan wrote: Well, that what Forbes is reporting in this article (scroll down):

www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/05/...batman/#2e10cade1555

Also mentioned that casting info could be coming in a couple of months.  Probably makes sense to coordinate it with SDCC maybe?

elf

Introducing the new Supergirl actress at SDCC would be pretty awesome. That might tell us something about where the story will go. Teenager or twentyish actress? Action star or more romantic, touchy-feely type. 

The other question is whether they will coordinate with what the SG comic book is currently doing  (I don't even know if there is one) or if they go back to one of the older origin stories and timeframes.. 

And like the TV show, I'll probably care far more about how the writing and characterization are done, along with the choice of actor, than is healthy. <grin>

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
01 Jun 2019 08:57 #64189 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl movie to start production in Q1 2020?
Could be something that is announced at SDCC.

I don't think DC has anything coming out this year, with WW 84 being pushed back til next year.  So this news would be something for sure.

Plus, it is widely expected Marvel will announce their Phase 4 plans at SDCC. 

Announcing Supergirl and showing the first trailer for WW 84 could be DC's main event.

Peace.

/K

More
01 Jun 2019 15:54 #64190 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl movie to start production in Q1 2020?
I've learned long ago to not make final judgment on casting until we actually see the performance (or enough of it).

OTH, the armchair analysis is always really really fun. Trying to figure that with this director, screenwriter and casting what kind of movie they are making.  (etc).

I do try to reserve actual judgment until the final product. I think some decided they hated Gal Godot as Wonder Woman before they ever saw her BE Wonder Woman, and never ever gave her a chance. (I think she's a great Wonder Woman, though I admit to being a bit skeptical at first casting.)  Not to mention those that seemed to hate on Wonder Woman simply because it was a female-let super-hero movie. Ditto for Captain Marvel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
01 Jun 2019 15:58 #64191 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote: Could be something that is announced at SDCC.

I don't think DC has anything coming out this year, with WW 84 being pushed back til next year.  So this news would be something for sure.

Plus, it is widely expected Marvel will announce their Phase 4 plans at SDCC. 

Announcing Supergirl and showing the first trailer for WW 84 could be DC's main event.

Peace.

/K

I'd love to see some healthy competition between Marvel (with Captain Marvel as their female front-runner) and DC (with Supergirl and WW as their front-runners).  Who can tell the better superheroine-centric story?

DC has an opening here given that Brie in Captain Marvel disappointed some of us. As others have stated, she could be swapped with a guy and not a single line of dialog or scene would change. 

DC has a chance to tell a story that celebrates the fact their lead is a woman, and that she's absolutely different than Superman and could never be swapped with him in the movie. Give the movie a romantic twist ala WW. Maybe Supergirl and WW teaming up somehow. Lots of possibilities for a good story and plenty of opportunities to punch the female-empowerment cultural button that they'll likely feel obligated to push. 

Maybe even get overt with the old Marston WW concept that nurturing women are genetically and mentally more suited to save the world than war loving men.

Shadar

• shadar
More
01 Jun 2019 16:26 #64193 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl movie to start production in Q1 2020?

shadar wrote:
I'd love to see some healthy competition between Marvel (with Captain Marvel as their female front-runner) and DC (with Supergirl and WW as their front-runners).  Who can tell the better superheroine-centric story?

DC has an opening here given that Brie in Captain Marvel disappointed some of us. As others have stated, she could be swapped with a guy and not a single line of dialog or scene would change. 

So much this.

The path to better movies is competition and variety.  If DC tries to patten Supergirl off Captain Marvel it'll crash and burn.  And that's not because I didn't like Captain Marvel, it's that being original is a much batter path.

shadar wrote:
DC has a chance to tell a story that celebrates the fact their lead is a woman, and that she's absolutely different than Superman and could never be swapped with him in the movie. Give the movie a romantic twist ala WW. Maybe Supergirl and WW teaming up somehow. Lots of possibilities for a good story and plenty of opportunities to punch the female-empowerment cultural button that they'll likely feel obligated to push. 

Maybe even get overt with the old Marston WW concept that nurturing women are genetically and mentally more suited to save the world than war loving men.

Shadar

I will not miss it if they remove a romance angle.  Though I'm an old softy and mist up at a good romance -- I feel sometimes it's forced into movies when it doesn't need to be there.  Just like not every Super-hero movie needs to be the origin story!

But I must admit my brain purposely read that as "a romance twist with Supergirl and WW...."  Oh yeah. ;-)

I do think that the writing team should have a good handle on how Superiglrl is NOT just "Superman in a skirt". and use this to inform the script.  If you want a Superman movie just make a Superman movie.

More
01 Jun 2019 16:36 #64194 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I've learned long ago to not make final judgment on casting until we actually see the performance (or enough of it).

OTH, the armchair analysis is always really really fun. Trying to figure that with this director, screenwriter and casting what kind of movie they are making.  (etc).

I do try to reserve actual judgment until the final product. I think some decided they hated Gal Godot as Wonder Woman before they ever saw her BE Wonder Woman, and never ever gave her a chance. (I think she's a great Wonder Woman, though I admit to being a bit skeptical at first casting.)  Not to mention those that seemed to hate on Wonder Woman simply because it was a female-let super-hero movie. Ditto for Captain Marvel.

I'm 100% with you on this Twice. I was also skeptical of Gal as WW, but I was just flat wrong.  She's a great WW. 

As far as those who criticize female-led superhero stories on principle, I suppose there will always be misogynists out there. 

My current issue is writing female superheroine stories that are interchangeable with male ones. That's not only unnecessary but it diminishes the unique power of women.  Men and women should approach power differently. They are not interchangeable units. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
01 Jun 2019 16:43 - 01 Jun 2019 16:44 #64195 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:
But I must admit my brain purposely read that as "a romance twist with Supergirl and WW...."  Oh yeah. ;-)

Yeah, I was thinking that in the back of my head when I wrote that comment but decided that was a "bridge too far". 

But they'd sure get a LOT of extra, free publicity if they did. Some say there is no such thing as bad publicity for a new movie. 

But DC would NEVER have the guts. 

Shadar
Last edit: 01 Jun 2019 16:44 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
More
23 Sep 2019 05:18 #65073 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Supergirl movie to start production in Q1 2020?
Light Spoilers:

There was a wave of articles this last week that Superman will appear in the movie:
wegotthiscovered.com/movies/superman-rep...wbs-supergirl-movie/

I for one find it sad - but not surprising - that the most interest is going toward who is playing Superman and not who is being cast as Supergirl.

Brainiac being a central character makes me wonder if they are trying to do the movie that was supposed to happen in 1984. 
wegotthiscovered.com/movies/supergirl-mo...s-its-major-villain/
That would be great - but given who has been put on to write the show - I'm not holding out much hope that it will be written in a nostalgic/idealistic style that I would enjoy.

Last because I've come to accept my lower brain function in regards to the importance of the look of the character I just have this nagging feeling we are going to get the Injustice costume in the movie.  I'm holding little hope for something "classic" but if it is to be Injustice - I can maybe hope for the skirt version at some point in the movie.  Who says only one uniform has to prevail?

Most of all can we have a strong, educated, eloquent, hopeful character, who acts like a good person at her core, who yes has been through hardship and loss...    ...please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
23 Sep 2019 06:46 #65075 by shadar
Color me hopeful but realistically skeptical of a good script and a good actress. Mainly because most of us here have an in depth understanding and appreciation of the character that is very unusual. That makes us very demanding and idealistic.

Reminds me how the Tolkien Estate hates the Jackson LOTR movies with such passion that just mentioning them will get people tossed out of their houses. Yet many people enjoy the movies, even strong Tolkien book fans like myself, and accept them as an alternate subset of the books with good actors and visuals and music.  They could have been much, much better, but they are still enjoyable.

I’m trying not to be like the Tolkien Estate and be so dismissive of a different or lesser portrayal of SG than the one I can imagine that I can’t enjoy it at all.

I can’t imagine a movie so bad that it would be better if it was never made. Even the 1984 movie isn’t that bad.

Shadar

• shadar
More
23 Sep 2019 10:30 #65076 by murdough

Random321 wrote: Light Spoilers:

There was a wave of articles this last week that Superman will appear in the movie:
wegotthiscovered.com/movies/superman-rep...wbs-supergirl-movie/

I for one find it sad - but not surprising - that the most interest is going toward who is playing Superman and not who is being cast as Supergirl.

Brainiac being a central character makes me wonder if they are trying to do the movie that was supposed to happen in 1984. 
wegotthiscovered.com/movies/supergirl-mo...s-its-major-villain/
That would be great - but given who has been put on to write the show - I'm not holding out much hope that it will be written in a nostalgic/idealistic style that I would enjoy.

Last because I've come to accept my lower brain function in regards to the importance of the look of the character I just have this nagging feeling we are going to get the Injustice costume in the movie.  I'm holding little hope for something "classic" but if it is to be Injustice - I can maybe hope for the skirt version at some point in the movie.  Who says only one uniform has to prevail?

Most of all can we have a strong, educated, eloquent, hopeful character, who acts like a good person at her core, who yes has been through hardship and loss...    ...please.

Word of advice, take anything from WeGotThisCovered.com with a massive grain of salt. The site is notorious as being a haven of clickbait and proverbial "fake news", making up "sources" and the like.

More
23 Sep 2019 12:45 #65077 by Idylls

Random321 wrote:

Pretty much the Supergirl from Injustice. Also Stargirl seems really promising on that front.

What I wish is for Supergirl to stand on her own. I don't know how it will happen if the character needs to be propped up by Superman. 

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2019 20:27 #65078 by d_k_c
Although Supergirl and the skirt is iconic. I have to ask, realistically....why would Supergirl ever wear a skirt? It’d be like Fiora in Superman showing up wearing a skirt.....everyone would be like....ummm why?

The only way it would make sense is if Supergirl grew up in the age of the 60s, where wearing a skirt was appropriate for females. But for a modern Supergirl....this makes no sense. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

More
23 Sep 2019 20:38 - 23 Sep 2019 20:43 #65079 by shadar

d_k_c wrote: Although Supergirl and the skirt is iconic. I have to ask, realistically....why would Supergirl ever wear a skirt? It’d be like Fiora in Superman showing up wearing a skirt.....everyone would be like....ummm why?

The only way it would make sense is if Supergirl grew up in the age of the 60s, where wearing a skirt was appropriate for females. But for a modern Supergirl....this makes no sense. 

Good point as far as it goes. 

But some of us grew up in the 60's and remember young women wearing short skirts very fondly. If you had the body for them, they were an outstanding bit of wardrobe. And with a leotard or proper panties beneath, they were an innocent tease. SG was the poster-girl for short skirts for 60 years. 

So while skirts no longer match the more conservative and "serious" standards of dress today, some of us are never going to get past the innocent flirtyness of a short skirt and boots. 

And she is invulnerable to harm, so bare skin is hardly a liability. 

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 20:43 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
More
23 Sep 2019 20:44 #65080 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl movie to start production in Q1 2020?
Supergirl in a short skirt is fun and feminine.
Two reasons we will not see it in an upcoming movie.

More
23 Sep 2019 21:07 #65085 by slim36
An article about  the skirt
www.vulture.com/2015/10/supergirl-skirt-history.html
 linked in article

More
23 Sep 2019 21:25 - 23 Sep 2019 21:26 #65087 by shadar
While SG comics usually worked to downplay overt sexiness, there is one pane in one Elseworlds comic which remains very memorable for doing the opposite:

The setting is Kara arriving to greet her husband-to-be with a "better idea", and ending with her discarded costume falling from the sky to land on her future mother-in-law's head. 

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 21:26 by shadar.

• shadar
More
23 Sep 2019 21:57 - 23 Sep 2019 22:06 #65088 by slim36
From bookriot.com/2018/07/12/supergirl-costume-rankings/  A ranking of 49 different Supergirl costumes

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 22:06 by slim36.

More
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds