Amount

Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony

11 Feb 2020 20:03 #66758 by lfan
Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony was created by lfan
Sony trying to squeeze every cent out of their rights to Spiderman:

www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/sony-r...aign=zergnet_4881062

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Feb 2020 00:37 #66765 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony
Marvel's selling the rights to different studios over the years has really made for a confusing cinematic universe,

More
12 Feb 2020 04:47 #66770 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony

lfan wrote: Sony trying to squeeze every cent out of their rights to Spiderman:

ElF

I'll take a Spider-Woman movie any way I can get it.  I just hope they share like with Peter.

How horrible it'd be if Sony had opted to buy the entire Marvel Catalog.

It would have been a waste of money.  As even after seeing Marvel make bank off unknown properties like GoTG, it still took a long time for Sony to exercise their other Spider-Man rights and make Venom and the animated Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse intead of just re-making the Spider-Man origin story again.  Out of Six live action Spider-Man movies, three are the origin story.  That's 50%!

Without Marvel showing Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange, and GoTG could make billions, i'm pretty sure Sony never would have tried anything else.  (Hell, I'm pretty sure DC wouldn't have tried to do anything other than make a Batman or Superman movie.)

I've tried explaining this to several people that even after seeing the MCU make so much money, Sony still was 100% correct to NOT buy the rest of the Marvel Catalog as it would have been wasted $$.  They'd never have made those movie...OTH marvel making those movies made their Spider-Man properties worth more.  It's not an accident the last Spider-Man movie is the highest grossing Sony movie.  They have Marvel to thank for that, and we already have ample proof that Sony would not have man ANY of the MCU movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, Agent00Soul, kikass2014

More
12 Feb 2020 11:20 #66772 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony
I have to agree Twice, I'd love to see Spiderwoman, even if it is lame house Sony making it, as opposed to the Mouse House.

To be fair to Marvel, if they didn't sell the rights to X-Men and Spiderman back in the day, they would have gone bankrupt.  So at least we got the MCU out of it :)

And X-Men and FF4 are back where they belong now (even if it cost them $70+ Billion to get them :P )

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
12 Feb 2020 13:51 #66776 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony
I like the idea of ​​a SPIDER-WOMAN movie. The problem, which I see, is that actress can play the role.but I think I should play the role, actress or model Jolynn Carpenter who intervened in the Spider-Woman comic: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. what they did in the Script: Brian Michael Bendis and in the Drawing: Alex Maleev.
And in case I don't know about her, I don't know if I'm influenced by the comic books of the 70s, and the series of drawings, in which the character had an air like Lynda Carter. I should be an actress at Lynda Carter or Gal Gandot.
The closest thing is Angie Harmond.
but I do not know.

More
12 Feb 2020 16:17 #66777 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

ElF

I'll take a Spider-Woman movie any way I can get it.  I just hope they share like with Peter.

How horrible it'd be if Sony had opted to buy the entire Marvel Catalog

The irony is, because Marvel sold off all the movie rights to the a-list characters to stay in business all those years ago, we got the generally quite good MCU made from b-list characters who suddenly took on a new life thanks to the movies.

I remember when I saw the previews for the first Iron Man and couldn't figure out why there was a movie about that character.  But Downey found the formula for these movies to work and Marvel just ran with it.

And double kudos for them for taking c-list characters like Jessica Jones and creating a truly edgy and artsy TV universe out of them.  

And yes, 3 origins in the Spider-Man movies is nuts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
13 Feb 2020 00:56 #66789 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Spiderwoman In Play Over at Sony

Agent00Soul wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

ElF

How horrible it'd be if Sony had opted to buy the entire Marvel Catalog

The irony is, because Marvel sold off all the movie rights to the a-list characters to stay in business all those years ago, we got the generally quite good MCU made from b-list characters who suddenly took on a new life thanks to the movies.

I remember when I saw the previews for the first Iron Man and couldn't figure out why there was a movie about that character.  But Downey found the formula for these movies to work and Marvel just ran with it.

And double kudos for them for taking c-list characters like Jessica Jones and creating a truly edgy and artsy TV universe out of them.  

And yes, 3 origins in the Spider-Man movies is nuts!

The DC Equivalent is seeing Martha Wayne’s Pearls break and drop into the alley.  How many times do we have to see that?  It was even in Joker!

I do think a lot of great art comes about from conflict and problems.  Marvel couldn’t use their big guns of Spidey, FF, Hulk, or the  X-men, so they had to figure out a working strategy with what they had.  That made them work harder and think about what they were doing and therefore, create some great film.   Not that I want to knock Nolan’s Batman Trilogy — but DC just kept making Batman and Superman movies again and again because they were the big guns and they could.

So perhaps selling off the rights was the best thing to happen to Marvel — not just because it kept them from going Bankrupt, but because it forced them to  dig deep.

OTH,, everyone seems to always forget the first black superhero movie: Blade.   Blade really showed that you didn’t have to focus on A-List. Characters.  Except aeveryone already knew all that .. .because at one time no one knew who Neo from the Matrix was or who Luke Skywalker was.  It’s always been true that make a good movie, using good characters  and people will go see it.  Maybe a bit of luck to get noticed.

I think Jones was a pretty safe bet though.  She’s arguably one of the best characters made since 2000. Her only competition is probably Kamala Kahn, and they hit different markets.   (It’s a short list that would include characters like Blue Beetle (Reyes) and Miles Morales.)

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds