Amount

The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

19 Feb 2021 20:09 #70507 by murdough
The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast was created by murdough
She'll make her debut in the Flash film(which has recently finally started filming) before possibly getting her own solo film.

deadline.com/2021/02/supergirl-young-and...vbH-BX4hPqMLGhwx77tk
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Feb 2021 20:57 #70508 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
"Calle also did a chemistry read with Flash star Ezra Miller."
That must have been the toughest part of the audition.
I hope security for her was provided.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321

More
19 Feb 2021 20:59 #70509 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

Markiehoe wrote: "Calle also did a chemistry read with Flash star Ezra Miller."
That must have been the toughest part of the audition.
I hope security for her was provided.

given that it was done over Zoom, I think they were all set
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• murdough
More
19 Feb 2021 21:35 #70510 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
Classic jawline, smoldering eyes. I Suspect she'll look quite iconic as a blonde.

More
19 Feb 2021 21:49 - 19 Feb 2021 22:54 #70511 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
I'm just surprised it wasn't a bald Chinese male.

Meh.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 19 Feb 2021 22:54 by Sarge395.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel, kikass2014

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
19 Feb 2021 22:53 #70512 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
The only authoritative source on the character is the comics. And the 1984 movie and Smallville and SG TV (to the least extent of all) followed tradition. In the comics she's always been a young, naturally blonde female with blue eyes. Her shade of blonde varied from light to light golden to sunflower. 

But this actor's raven-black hair died to a light blonde? That'll keep her colorist busy. That's extreme. Roots would last about two days. She'd have to travel with her colorist, even between shooting and vacations, etc. But Jessica Alba pretty much pulled it off for Fantastic Four with a lot of work. Not an issue during shooting as hair and makeup is extensive anyway. 

But I wonder if they'll make her blonde at all?  

Or if so, just use a really good wig. I mean, the comics always had her wearing a mousy brown wig as Linda and her natural blonde as SG. Just reverse that. Makes no sense physically (wigs would get blown off), but this is CW.

And I have to admit that transformation from mousy brown to blonde along with revealing her costume was always breathtaking, but then I'm a sucker for blondes. 

But I think the wig thing might be over and one. I mean, Helen Slater did it, but Vandervoorte and Benoist didn't. 

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if her hair stays black and her eyes brown. 

But if Calle can convincingly own the role and combine a bit of Helen's naivette, a full bite of Laura's darkness and a couple of bites of Melissa's humor, that would be pretty awesome as a start. And hopefully she's good at projecting power when the need arises. That was one of my problems with Melissa. She went from too little to too much as she didn't understand the subteties of a "good" character having extreme power around ordinary people. The only place that really worked for her was in the first episode of the first season on CBS. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 Feb 2021 01:55 #70514 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
Twitter feed scroll shows she was interested in Spider Woman.  There is a halloween costume that is fun too.  Nice voice.  Intersting how much moody/edge there is in still pictures.  Cautious optomism.

Now the big question is are we getting Classic Supergirl, DCUO Supergirl, Injustice Supergirl, or something worse.  Let's hope the writters will not ruin it for her and us.  Cautious pesimism.

More
20 Feb 2021 02:24 - 20 Feb 2021 02:25 #70515 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

I'm just surprised it wasn't a bald Chinese male.

AHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAH 

This image is hidden for guests.

Too true :P

Guessing that the iconic blonde hair and blue eyes are probably out the window, though you never know.  Like you say Shadar, colorist or a wig can take care of that.  Could even do it in post with vfx now.

I'm guessing they probably won't bother and keep her black hair and brown eyes.  Oh, and ofc mention that shes latina 500 times.

Having said that, I will be happy to be proven wrong.  Something tells me that won't be the case, but who knows.

Peace.

/K

Last edit: 20 Feb 2021 02:25 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
20 Feb 2021 03:08 #70516 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

Having said that, I will be happy to be proven wrong.  Something tells me that won't be the case, but who knows.

It won't, the director already put up a video saying how proud he is on working with the first Latina Supergirl

In my opinion, the visual of a character is part of their identity. I will be more inclined to not like this version of Supergirl if she doesn't have the iconic look
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
20 Feb 2021 03:25 #70517 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

I'm just surprised it wasn't a bald Chinese male.Meh. 

Well, I mean, you picked a very old photo I think ? Here's a couple better ones (it's her mum the one next to her...) 

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Victoria Nike

More
20 Feb 2021 09:21 #70518 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
Not my work, but once again, this is what a random person with some photoshop skills could do.

Moreover, this version of Supergirl is meant to debut in the Flashpoint movie -- which, I guess, is how the DCEU crew means to fix the various discontinuities among the various movies -- so it's not out of the question that she is from a completely different background. She could be MAtrix, she could the Eradicator, she could be anything.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, slim36, veggicidal, Victoria Nike

More
20 Feb 2021 10:55 #70519 by kikass2014

Well, I mean, you picked a very old photo I think ? Here's a couple better ones (it's her mum the one next to her...)

I don't think anyone is really doubting how she looks.  She is undeniably a very attractive woman.

It's how does she LOOK like SUPERGIRL that is the concern.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel

More
21 Feb 2021 09:39 - 21 Feb 2021 09:51 #70537 by Victoria Nike
Replied by Victoria Nike on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast
Honestly, she looks amazing in this fan mock-up, no matter the hair colour. 

She may not look like Supergirl's traditional description, but she's still a very attractive, young woman.

And while I know it's a sticky concept, I'm always happy about more representation if it genuienly helps people. At the end of the day, it's not the colour of her hair or eyes, but the acting, script and direction of the movie that matters. And if the creatives think she's the right choice, I trust them and will reserve judgement for the final product.

I really hope Supergirl will grow in importance and relevance similar to how Wonder Woman has, I want more big budget female super strength content. At least in that regard the rise of superhero movies has been a blessing. 

(Edit: I'm too stupid to figure out how to integrate pictures, so these links will have to do)
Last edit: 21 Feb 2021 09:51 by Victoria Nike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Woodclaw, jyache, aguilauno, TwiceOnThursdays, MoistPanties

More
18 Jun 2021 18:05 #71480 by murdough
From Flash director Andy Muschietti's Instagram. Obviously just a tease, but odds are we'll see the full suit by the time Comic-Con rolls around in July. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Albais, rednecko

• murdough
More
18 Jun 2021 18:26 #71481 by kikass2014
Still have zero interest.

Peace.

/K

More
18 Jun 2021 20:42 - 18 Jun 2021 20:50 #71483 by Sarge395
Will be interesting to see how it plays out but my hopes are not high.  Likely they will try to take the SJW road and turn it into something 'radical'.  Will end up being a bomb.  Make up new characters if you are desperate but don't mess with a classic.  Wish her chest was larger than an A cup.  

Actually what would be earth shaking is if it was a gorgeous blonde female who had a positive outlook on men, the human species, and the freedoms we have fought so hard to get to.  Yes, much work to do...
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 20:50 by Sarge395.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe, Brad2, kikass2014

• Sarge395
More
18 Jun 2021 23:25 - 18 Jun 2021 23:26 #71485 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

Will be interesting to see how it plays out but my hopes are not high.  Likely they will try to take the SJW road and turn it into something 'radical'.  Will end up being a bomb.  Make up new characters if you are desperate but don't mess with a classic.  Wish her chest was larger than an A cup.  

Actually what would be earth shaking is if it was a gorgeous blonde female who had a positive outlook on men, the human species, and the freedoms we have fought so hard to get to.  Yes, much work to do...
Given it's aimed at a younger audience, it will undoubtably be written to appeal to their sensibilities. So it won't meet any of these goals.

But then, the disconnect between generations has been a thing since the 60's, so that doesn't bother me much. SJW now, or being a hippie wannabe in the 60's, it's all the benefit of being young and idealistic and ignorant.

And yes, we earned them that freedom. But that doesn't mean I have to like their TV shows. 

I have my own view of Supergirl that I'm writing into my Jimmy storyline, and I'll stick with my version, thank you very much.

Shadar

Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 23:26 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, ty110072, jmg88, kikass2014

• shadar
More
19 Jun 2021 18:22 #71488 by murdough
From the set of the Flash. While incredibly blurry, it at least gives us some idea as to how she'll look. Odds are they will add a cape in post-production.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, AuGoose

• murdough
More
19 Jun 2021 19:33 #71490 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

From the set of the Flash. While incredibly blurry, it at least gives us some idea as to how she'll look. Odds are they will add a cape in post-production.

... and hopefully better hair...

More
19 Jun 2021 21:11 #71492 by Sarge395
Butch brunette hair cut. Hopefully no visible tats or piercings. Probably Asian for some extra points.

• Sarge395
More
19 Jun 2021 21:39 #71493 by murdough
Even worse resolution, but yep, she will indeed have a cape.

This message has attachments images.

• murdough
More
19 Jun 2021 21:54 #71494 by willow
Replied by willow on topic The DCEUs Supergirl Has Been Cast

Butch brunette hair cut. Hopefully no visible tats or piercings. Probably Asian for some extra points.
Well, Chinese film market is a huge profit draw for Hollywood films lately. So much, that a studio completely redid their Red Dawn remake to make the bad guys North Korean rather than Chinese, even though that made the reason for their invasion of North America non-sensical. Otherwise, the Chinese government refused to allow the film to be shown in China.

In case you are curious, the original premise of the Red Dawn remake was that the United States' tries to renege on various debts owned to China due to a local or global economic crisis. China responds by invading North America to force the United States to pay their debts and maybe install more "China friendly" leadership. The idea played off fears in some political circles in America that the government (even now) owes too much money to China and will be a world of hurt if China ever comes calling on immediate payment.

More
19 Jun 2021 23:41 - 19 Jun 2021 23:41 #71495 by Sarge395
China has had many racist controversies.  Here is a typical removal of a character they didn't want shown due to race.  

Last edit: 19 Jun 2021 23:41 by Sarge395.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel

• Sarge395
More
19 Jun 2021 23:49 #71496 by erikphandel
Maybe I'll enjoy the movie if she does some ubergirl stuff and if the costume looks good, but that ain't Supergirl. I don't care what you say to me. No skirt, no long flowing blond hair, that's not Supergirl. She probably won't even have the blue eyes

I'll reserve more definitive judgements to when they reveal that nice post production photo, but having no skirt endlessly annoys me

More
19 Jun 2021 23:50 #71497 by erikphandel
Regarding Sarge's point though, she's not Asian, she's Latina. So they're not appealing to the Chinese, they're appealing to Twitter

More
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds