Amount

Unusual take on My Super-Ex...

24 Apr 2021 07:40 #71037 by Monty
Unusual take on My Super-Ex... was created by Monty
Trust me, you will have never seen My Super-Ex Girlfriend quite like this before!...

The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, jyache, www1969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Monty
  • Monty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Apr 2021 14:35 #71040 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...
I'm not sure that's the most useful way to avoid a copyright ban, but it's certainly one of the most unusual (and effective)!

More
26 Apr 2021 00:39 #71050 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...
Heh. xE-repuS Tenet edition :)

More
26 Apr 2021 02:02 #71051 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...
While enjoyable, I still think that movie was a big lost opportunity to parody superhero films in general. The idea of this super powerful hero being incredibly insecure and clingy in her "normal life" is the potential for comedy gold. There are numerous stories in real life of actors and models having similar insecurities issues once the cameras are off. So, the idea of a superhero having similar issues is not that farfetched. A lot of comics have touched on this to great effect.

More
26 Apr 2021 02:39 #71052 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...

While enjoyable, I still think that movie was a big lost opportunity to parody superhero films in general. The idea of this super powerful hero being incredibly insecure and clingy in her "normal life" is the potential for comedy gold. There are numerous stories in real life of actors and models having similar insecurities issues once the cameras are off. So, the idea of a superhero having similar issues is not that farfetched. A lot of comics have touched on this to great effect.
It was still kind of fun, although there were a few places I wish they'd done more.  Uma and Anna were well cast, and while Luke Wilson generally makes me want to reach through the screen and strangle him, and Rain Wilson just pisses me off, in this case, that quad of characters worked as well as one could expect given the humor in the script.

The movie was a fizzy soda as opposed to a nice Pale Ale, but there were enough parody moments anbd super moments to keep me amused, and enough surprises to delight me (the freakin' shark!). The writer understood more than a little about our slightly underground take on superheroines to have fun with it. 

I mean, the flirtatious costume, the sex while flying, along with the loss of control and falling thing -- who else does that in a movie? If not for Luke's "NEVER DO THAT AGAIN" shout at the end, it was pretty cool. If only the script had him saying: "Let do that again, but HIGHER this time", I'd have been completely happy. 

Shadar

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
26 Apr 2021 02:44 - 26 Apr 2021 02:48 #71053 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...
I dunno, I think the concept was all wrong with Uma trying her best to play the role of dual characters of an amazing confident female bestowed with incredible superpowers and her unseemly, unlikely alter-ego. I think the idea was poorly played out in the writing, in fact the whole idea made no sense, even as a 'comedy'.
For the best dual-character switch in this type of situation, you'd look at Christopher Reeve's role as an awkward, bumbling Clark Kent and think, 'Yeah, he nailed it'.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2021 02:48 by Monty.

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Apr 2021 03:11 #71054 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...

I dunno, I think the concept was all wrong with Uma trying her best to play the role of dual characters of an amazing confident female bestowed with incredible superpowers and her unseemly, unlikely alter-ego. I think the idea was poorly played out in the writing, in fact the whole idea made no sense, even as a 'comedy'.
For the best dual-character switch in this type of situation, you'd look at Christopher Reeve's role as an awkward, bumbling Clark Kent and think, 'Yeah, he nailed it'.
Agree on that. But I kind of looked past it because they didn't take time to develop the whole "Clark Kent" thing. They did her alter-ego very shallowly, and it wasn't nearly as successful or believable as Reeves' rendition.

But that's often the case with parody. They don't take time to develop a parody character because they figure the audience gets it immediately. But it's lazy filmmaking to not go beyond the minimum anyway. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Apr 2021 11:32 #71055 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Unusual take on My Super-Ex...

Keep in mind that this movie came out before the superhero genre really took off, so it was somewhat wasted in that sense.

More
28 Apr 2021 16:48 - 28 Apr 2021 16:50 #71074 by Monty
That's YT closed the account for the user who created dneirflriG-xE repuS yM...

Ach well, it looked fun while it lasted.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2021 16:50 by Monty.

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Sep 2022 12:37 - 10 Sep 2022 18:27 #75497 by Monty
"I am kinda sorry that I broke your bed on our first night together, but now you know my super-secret, you may as well know all my Super-Secrets! Of course, I couldn't wander the streets or go to work in the gallery with these, or else I'd have no secret identity! So, we keep this to ourselves right? Right?"

Last edit: 10 Sep 2022 18:27 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds