Amount

Anna Faris Interview: Super-Ex mention & Possible Spoi

03 Apr 2006 15:43 #5108 by lfan
Little exerpt from a recent interview with Anna Faris on Coming Soon.net:

"....Faris has gained recognition for her performances in Lost in Translation and Brokeback Mountain. She's now moving on from Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger to Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson. She co-stars with the two in Super Ex-Girlfriend, where Wilson's character dumps Thurman's for Faris. It gets a little complicated, to say the least, because Thurman is a superhero.

"I play the new girlfriend," Faris told me as she's eating fries but graciously offers me some. While she wouldn't give too much away, she said Thurman "uses her powers for good and not evil but she happens to be an insane girlfriend so he breaks up with her and we start dating. Luke and I, she comes after us."

And Thurman is able to fly, is super strong, can burn things with her eyes and can whirl around like a tornado. She wouldn't say if she was also a superhero, but I think it's safe to say she probably is from the thing I want tell you, but I can't because of the look she gave me.

She did say Super Ex-Girlfriend was shot in New York and she was rather intimidated by Thurman, but believes, "She held her own," during their fight scenes. Faris didn't have to train for the brawling because "There was wire work and I've had some wire work experience," she explained. "I'm pretty good at doing all of that although I was fighting Uma Thurman," she laughed."

Meanwhile, still no trailer......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Apr 2006 21:19 #5113 by dauntingmold
Oh good, sounds like two superheroines for the price of one. Lets just hope they don't get the normal Hollywood treatment.

More
03 Apr 2006 22:06 #5114 by lfan
*** SPOILERS BELOW....YOU WERE WARNED ***

Well 2 super"heroines"? Not what I hear from my "sources", but 2 supers, yes! ;) Check out more semi-spoilers here:
www.superwomenmania.com/forum/viewtopic....der=asc&start=30

LF

Oh good, sounds like two superheroines for the price of one. Lets just hope they don't get the normal Hollywood treatment.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Apr 2006 22:39 #5115 by dauntingmold
Oh that sounds even better :D

More
04 Apr 2006 17:16 #5127 by lfan
Another similar interview over at Sci-fi.com (www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=35321):

Faris Coy About Girlfriend

Scary Movie 4 star Anna Faris told SCI FI Wire she has a showdown with the superhero played by Uma Thurman in the upcoming comedy film My Super Ex-Girlfriend, but added that she can't say much more. Billed third in the film credits for Girlfriend, behind Luke Wilson and Thurman, Faris said: "I play the new girlfriend." She wouldn't say if she herself is a superhero. "I don't want to say anything about [my character]."

As for working with Thurman, Faris said that she "was somebody I was really thrilled to be cast in a movie with. ... I was really excited. She's a superhero who uses her powers for good, but she goes a bit insane when he breaks up with her, and we, Luke and I, start dating. So she comes after us."

The superhero romantic comedy is directed by Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters) and is expected to be released July 21 as kind of an off-shoot of the expected summer superhype from Bryan Singer's Superman Returns.

Faris, who has poked fun at horror movies in all four of the Scary Movie films, said Super Ex-Girlfriend should be viewed as more than just a send-up of the superhero genre. "It's about girls and jealousy," Faris said. And, no, Thurman didn't make Faris dye her hair: "I'm blonde. I'm blonde. ... but, you know, we have some physical stuff together, so that was intimidating. But I think I held my own." Faris said she feels the wrath of Thurman's character, who can fly, burn things with her eyes, spin into a tornado and throw people around like rag dolls. "She's not happy with my character."

In the fight scenes, Faris did some stunts and wire work herself while battling the athletic Kill Bill actress. "I've done some wire work, and I think I held my own with Uma," Faris said. "I mean, I'm pretty good, but I was fighting Uma Thurman, after all. Anyway, I held my own." —Mike Szymanski

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Apr 2006 15:43 #5160 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic OK.....SPOILER AHEAD
Don't read if you don't wanna know something of what happens in this movie......but if so, scroll down

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

!

OK, its fairly certain that Anna WILL become super in the movie and have a fight with Uma at the end. This is confirmed by her in an interview which she says she gains powers in the movie and 'becomes a superhero'.
If that wasn't enough, I managed to get ahold of casting sides for Anna's character, Hannah, and it does have that in them. So two ubergirls for the price of one.

Also, on a side note....the sides I got give some nice examples of action scenes and effects in the movie. We'll see if it comes to fruition.....

Peace
LF

Another similar interview over at Sci-fi.com (www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=35321):

Faris Coy About Girlfriend

Scary Movie 4 star Anna Faris told SCI FI Wire she has a showdown with the superhero played by Uma Thurman in the upcoming comedy film My Super Ex-Girlfriend, but added that she can't say much more. Billed third in the film credits for Girlfriend, behind Luke Wilson and Thurman, Faris said: "I play the new girlfriend." She wouldn't say if she herself is a superhero. "I don't want to say anything about [my character]."

As for working with Thurman, Faris said that she "was somebody I was really thrilled to be cast in a movie with. ... I was really excited. She's a superhero who uses her powers for good, but she goes a bit insane when he breaks up with her, and we, Luke and I, start dating. So she comes after us."

The superhero romantic comedy is directed by Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters) and is expected to be released July 21 as kind of an off-shoot of the expected summer superhype from Bryan Singer's Superman Returns.

Faris, who has poked fun at horror movies in all four of the Scary Movie films, said Super Ex-Girlfriend should be viewed as more than just a send-up of the superhero genre. "It's about girls and jealousy," Faris said. And, no, Thurman didn't make Faris dye her hair: "I'm blonde. I'm blonde. ... but, you know, we have some physical stuff together, so that was intimidating. But I think I held my own." Faris said she feels the wrath of Thurman's character, who can fly, burn things with her eyes, spin into a tornado and throw people around like rag dolls. "She's not happy with my character."

In the fight scenes, Faris did some stunts and wire work herself while battling the athletic Kill Bill actress. "I've done some wire work, and I think I held my own with Uma," Faris said. "I mean, I'm pretty good, but I was fighting Uma Thurman, after all. Anyway, I held my own." —Mike Szymanski

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Apr 2006 15:30 #5223 by crazyfck
from aint it cool:

Hey folks, Harry here... The spy, I call Caractacus Potts sent in the following look at Fox's twist on the MR & MRS SMITH formula of adding spectacle to the genre of the Romantic Comedy... this time by making it a superhero tale... Sounds like a crazed LOIS LANE comic from the 60s. Could be fun, the following has spoilers of the primary gags - so you may want to give the review a skip, but if you're wanting to know more - by all means - dive in...
I caught a test screening in the OC last night for the new Fox film Super Ex-Girlfriend. This was a fairly early screening. The dude said that shooting only stopped seven weeks ago and it was obvious that this was a rough, rough cut. The effects were not even close to being done and the pacing was very relaxed for one of these big budget studio romantic comedies. While I was aware of the film before, I was by no means looking forward to it. But I checked it out for a two reasons. Though his last few films have been poop, Ivan Reitman?s name on a film still means something to me. Like many readers here, I would place films like Ghostbusters, Stripes and Twins on my all time favorite comedies list. Also, the cast of the movie was quite appealing. Uma Thurman, Luke Wilson, Anna Farris, Rainn Wilson (from US The Office) and the great Eddie Izzard.

First of all, the crowd went absolutely apeshit over the film. Now I have been to few of these where the crowd seemed to really dig the show, only for the film to be released later to a resounding thud at the B.O. That could happen with Super Ex-Girlfriend, but this crowd was lovin? every minute. I generally don?t enjoy romantic comedies, not because I am a cynical dick, but because they are so poorly made and predictable. I didn?t really enjoy Super-Ex Girlfriend, but I will give it some credit for surprising me a few times.

Here?s the premise: The film opens with a jewelry heist, intercut with scenes of a figure flying amongst the skyscrapers of New York. The thieves attempt to escape but they are thwarted by Uma Thurman as G-Girl, a sexy superhero who protects the city. Of course, nobody knows her identity. Enter Luke Wilson as an architect (or something in that area) who has no luck with women and is waiting for the right one. He has a really nice apartment in New York and an eccentric best friend (Rainn Wilson) whom he can confide in. One day on the subway, he meets Thurman?s character in her Clark Kent mode. As G-Girl, Thurman looks amazing with flowing blonde hair and a form fitting outfit labeled with a giant ?G.? When she is just normal Uma, she wears a brown wig and nerdy glasses. But Luke is smart to know that there?s a hottie under there, so he tries to flirt with her. Right then, Uma?s purse is stolen, and Luke gives chase to the thug. He manages to get the purse back through dumb luck and Uma is impressed.

They start dating. Eventually, she trusts him enough to reveal that she is really G-Girl. At first, Luke thinks its awesome dating a superhero. After a while, he discovers its not all that when he starts to see how needy, jealous and high maintenance she is. He breaks up with her. And here?s where the actual movie starts. This is how the movie was sold. You know how sometimes when you break up with a girl, she starts getting all crazy and wanting revenge for a broken heart. Well, picture if she had super powers. Then she could really fuck with him. Right?

The first thing that I found odd is this: It?s a chick flick. Just look at the story. What girl couldn?t get behind the idea of being able to use superpowers against that nasty ex-boyfriend? But even though Uma is the character this picture?s main demo will get behind, Luke Wilson is the main character. It?s his story and we know he?s not a bad guy. This decision makes it difficult to see Uma?s character as anything but a crazy, out of control bitch. It?s like we?re supposed to sympathize with the guy who does the dumping and leaves the needy superhero for his hot office co-worker, played by the hot Anna Faris. While I had no trouble relating to his need to get out of a bad relationship, I feel most women will side with Uma just because of the fantasy revenge angle. But Uma?s character is almost a supporting role. It turns out that the real love story here is between Wilson and Faris.

What kind of wacky shit does she do to Luke with her powers? Well, since this rough, almost none of the effects shots were even close to done. Since there are a lot of effects shots in this movie, its hard for me to say how these scenes will turn out. But just based on Reitman?s experience with SFX in the past, I can only assume the work will be top-notch. The same can?t be said for the comedy here. Uma steals Luke?s car and throws it into outer space, where it proceeds to orbit around the earth. Okay. Uma grabs a great white shark from the ocean and throws it into Luke?s apartment. This is as ridiculous as it sounds. Somehow, the shark is able to flap around from room to room, following Luke without the ability to walk. Uma also uses her superhuman powers to write the word ?DICK? on Luke?s forehead right before his big presentation at work.

There are some laughs in the movie though. There is a nice and raunchy sex scene between Wilson and Thurman where she gets orgasmic as only a female superhero can. Wilson?s reactions are priceless. I couldn?t hear the dialogue for the entire next scene after the uproarious response this got. There is some funny banter between Wilson (Luke) and Wilson (Rainn) although some of it is groan worthy. Example: Luke asks Rainn, ?What kind of super power would you want?? He answers, ?The power to blow myself.? The script is credited on IMDB to Don Payne, who has written some damn funny Simpsons episodes. This explains why most of the good laughs for me were the dialogue driven ones rather than the broad special effects gags.

Luke Wilson occasionally delivers a line where he sounds so much like Owen I forget which one I am watching. But he certainly has the charisma to coast by in a movie like this and his comedic instincts are usually spot on, probably thanks to Reitman?s tutelage. Uma looks great and tries hard but she just seems uncomfortable with this kind of material. Comedy is just not her strong suit. For Anna Faris, this is just another necessary role on her path to better parts. Rainn Wilson plays his part like Dwight and it was obvious they knew he would slay em because they find a ludicrous way to work his character into the finale of the film. I can?t forget to mention Mr. Izzard, who steals every scene he is in as Uma?s arch nemesis. His character is really stupid but Izzard?s delivery is impeccable and he works wonders with what he has. In fact, the biggest laugh I had the whole film was from a mug shot of Izzard. Brilliant. Technically, he is the villain. He hates Uma for dumping him so he wants to steal her powers using Luke?s help.

I suspect that Fox will capitalize on S-man fever and release this in mid/late summer. I think the marketing hook will be strong enough to overcome the lackluster leads and this could be successful. But I doubt they will be able to draw in many males without their girlfriends based just on the superhero angle. Then again, some of you geeks liked Sky High so you might eat this up.

More
18 Apr 2006 01:25 #5267 by dr lazarus
A super Uma Thurman vs. a super Anna Faris?!? I'm really looking forward to this.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds