Amount

Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...

04 Apr 2006 15:40 #5123 by lfan
Kate Beckinsale vying for WW... was created by lfan
According to IMDB:

"Kate Beckinsale has reportedly joined the race to play Wonder Woman in Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon's upcoming comic book movie. The British actress is in negotiations with Whedon, according to movie gossip website joblo.com. Insiders claim Whedon is "very happy" with Beckinsale and confirmed last week that production on his highly anticipated movie adaptation of the popular comic book series will begin filming in early September. Buffy stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and Charisma Carpenter, and teen queen Lindsay Lohan have been linked to the coveted role - which was played on TV by Lynda Carter. Former hot favorite Carpenter even remarked she was putting off having a second baby in the hope of landing the dream role. She recently told a reporter, "I'd like to (have another baby) eventually, but I want Wonder Woman right now. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm crossing my fingers and toes and praying."

IMO, Joss could do a lot worse than having her in the star spangled shorts! Excellent choice!

LF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Apr 2006 15:44 #5124 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
I don't know. Something tells me that they should try to find an unknown actress to play WW.

I guess I want to be able to look at the big screen WW and say "That's Wonder Woman!" not "Hey, isn't that the chick from Underworld/Buffy/Angel/Herbie?"

Just my two cents. But hey, as long as one actually gets made, I would probably be happy with whoever they pick.

More
04 Apr 2006 17:33 #5128 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
I <3 Kate Beckinsale! I think she would be an awesome WW.

More
04 Apr 2006 19:58 #5130 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
:?

The only thing I've ever seen her in was Underworld, and I really wasn't impressed. Besides, Wonder Woman with a British accent? Does anyone else here have a problem with that?

YAGS

More
04 Apr 2006 20:24 #5132 by Bully_pup
Replied by Bully_pup on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
She didn't have a british accent in Pearl Harbor?

bully_pup -- Kelly

More
04 Apr 2006 22:06 #5134 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...

:?

Besides, Wonder Woman with a British accent?

YAGS

Yeah that would be like making Robin Hood with an American accent :wink:

More
05 Apr 2006 09:09 #5140 by spunk639
Replied by spunk639 on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
Here is a short list for the role:

Bridget the Mdiget

A wide list for the role:

Camryn Manheim
Roseanne

How about Queen Hippolita:

Bea Arthur
Nathan Lane

More
19 Apr 2006 04:41 #5291 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...

I <3 Kate Beckinsale! I think she would be an awesome WW.

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing her as WW at all.

btw, what are the extent of WW's powers, if anyone knows. All I know of her is from the Lynda Carter series.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
20 Apr 2006 01:05 #5299 by DavidAndrade
Replied by DavidAndrade on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
She was okay in the first UNDERWORLD. Did you see the UNDERWORLD sequel - EVOLUTION? Kate was the bomb in that!

>>>"what are the extent of WW's powers"<<<

Super speed and strengh.
Truth Lasso - a rope that made you tell the truth.
Invisible plane.
Bracelets that can deflect bullets.

More
20 Apr 2006 04:10 #5300 by YAGS

She was okay in the first UNDERWORLD. Did you see the UNDERWORLD sequel - EVOLUTION? Kate was the bomb in that!

>>>"what are the extent of WW's powers"<<<

Super speed and strengh.
Truth Lasso - a rope that made you tell the truth.
Invisible plane.
Bracelets that can deflect bullets.

When did she ever have super speed? Faster than normal reflexes, perhaps, but I wouldn't call that super speed. But I also don't know much about pre-Crisis Wonder Woman, besides what I saw on the tv show and the Superfriends.

Since the reboot of the character after Crisis on Infinite Earths (1986), some things have changed.

She can fly now, for starters, so no more invisible plane. She's still got the magic lasso of truth and the bullet deflecting bracelets. And she's supposedly even stronger, so she's closer to Superman level strength, compared to pre-Crisis when she seemed more like Spider-Man level strength.

Superman's still stronger, though, despite being much weaker post-Crisis than he was before. DC insists that their best known icon has to be the strongest character, no matter what. And their other best known icon, Batman, has to be the smartest character, no matter what. However, Superman was seen arm wrestling Captain Marvel without a winner once, and Mary Marvel has exactly the same power level as her brother. So I guess that tells us who the strongest woman in the DC Universe is.

Of course, who knows what the movie Wonder Woman will be like. There's no guarantee that there will be any consistancy with previous versions. And I seem to recall Whedon mentioning the invisible jet while talking about writing the script :(

YAGS

More
20 Apr 2006 04:56 #5301 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
I have an issue with Wonder Woman running to catch a bullet. Super speed she has.

More
20 Apr 2006 04:58 #5302 by ultragirl
Now that I think about it, I also have an annual with Wonder Woman running with Flash's female counterpart, Jesse Quick.

More
20 Apr 2006 14:49 #5303 by YAGS

Now that I think about it, I also have an annual with Wonder Woman running with Flash's female counterpart, Jesse Quick.

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot about that. And it wasn't an annual, it was a special, from when they were doing those main character "Plus" things at DC. "Wonder Woman Plus Jesse Quick".

I think it's a fairly standard thing with their flying characters at DC that they can fly fast enough to travel to the scene of a crime pretty quickly, but only when they're pretty much flying in a straight line. I remember something similar with Green Lantern trying to keep up with Flash. So she can't move her body in combat at superspeed like Flash or anything, who can punch someone hundreds of times in a second, but she can definitely get across town quickly.

YAGS

More
21 Apr 2006 01:47 #5309 by ultragirl

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot about that. And it wasn't an annual, it was a special, from when they were doing those main character "Plus" things at DC. "Wonder Woman Plus Jesse Quick".

I think it's a fairly standard thing with their flying characters at DC that they can fly fast enough to travel to the scene of a crime pretty quickly, but only when they're pretty much flying in a straight line. I remember something similar with Green Lantern trying to keep up with Flash. So she can't move her body in combat at superspeed like Flash or anything, who can punch someone hundreds of times in a second, but she can definitely get across town quickly.

YAGS

Yeah, one of those "plus" issues. Fast enough to deflect bullets is awfully fast; but no, not like the Flash.

More
23 Apr 2006 06:23 #5324 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
Thanks for the info on Wonder Woman. As much I'd like to see Kate Beckinsale in the role, having an "unknown" actress play WW, with a supporting cast of veteran actors, might not be a bad idea. (kind of like what they're doing with Superman Returns)

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
25 Apr 2006 22:29 #5355 by red wolf
Replied by red wolf on topic Re: Kate Beckinsale vying for WW...
I'm a pig; can she fill out the bustier?

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds