Amount

Superman Returns

30 Jun 2006 23:46 #6061 by JKap
Superman Returns was created by JKap
So I went and saw the new Superman movie last night - and though it'd have been real easy to be all nitpicky, I decided I'd just be chill and enjoy the show. And it was a good time.

However, being the ubergirl fan that I am, I couldn't stop conceptualizing a new & updated Supergirl movie as I was watching it. The great effects that are now possible, the updated and more *ahem* aerodynamically effective skirt & boots uniform she'd be wearing. It just got me wondering how conceivable it is that a good, real Supergirl movie could come out in our lifetime?

Also, as I was watching this film and remembering the impact that the first couple Superman flicks had on me, and also thinking about my own personal infatuation with Supergirl... I realized it wasn't the Supergirl movie per se that started this interest in ubergirls for me... but it was my being inspired by the Superman movies (and then mentally transposing that fascination to an adolescent super-hot female fantasy character instead of... ew... a guy). I mean, the Supergirl movie itself was a crappy as everyone says it was, but most of us still love her. Imagine if they actually came out with a truly well-done Supergirl film!

Anyhoo I guess I've really done some reflecting on this stuff since seeing the latest film & I figured this was the place to shore those thoughts & see who else saw the film from an "ubergirl fan's" perspective?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2006 01:54 #6062 by BobAnthony
Replied by BobAnthony on topic Re: Superman Returns
The Supergirl movie had its high points--like the flying (esp. the Aerial ballet) and Helen Slater looking fine in the costume. Everything else, from pacing to the script to poor acting by Faye Dunaway and a total utopian feel to Argo City--AWFUL!!!! An omegahedron??? I thought Argo was doomed as a result of meteorites smashing through the bubble to expose the lead-covered streets as kryptonite.

Hate to say it about Jeanot Szwarc but he is to blame for this as well. Supergirl was between Superman III which despite being panned made its good piece of change and Superman IV, which has been FORGOTTEN!

Making Supergirl a movie would be a big risk, especially if Superman Returns fails to live up to hype and suffers because of Lois having a son out of marriage, a sort of wimpification of Superman and (for me personally) getting rid of references to Truth Justice and The American Way. There's all kinds of buzz around the web and many articles about Superman Returns and some of the parts of the story.

It would be best to make a TV show for Supergirl

More
03 Jul 2006 22:23 #6083 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Superman Returns

And though it'd have been real easy to be all nitpicky, I decided I'd just be chill and enjoy the show. And it was a good time.

That's the right attitude to have. I saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it. Yes it would great to have a big-budget Supergirl movie, (even though I enjoy conceptfan's bad superbabes, I still like the good ones too). A series would be nice too, since she could do different things every week and there would be more time to fully explore her powers.

getting rid of references to Truth Justice and The American Way.

well they do mention Truth and Justice, but they did leave out the "American way" part (Perry White says, "Does he still stand for truth, justice, all the rest of it?"). Possibly because they want the movie to appeal to an international audience and thought emphasizing America might turn people in other countries off. I don't know. I think they should left it in though.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
03 Jul 2006 22:44 #6085 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Superman Returns
Or maybe the writers or studio thought that "the American way" suggests a right-wing political agenda.

There used to be a liberal organization called "People for the American Way." I believe it was founded by TV producer Norman Lear (creator of All in the Family). It ran magazine and television ads extolling freedom of speech and equal rights and such. Does it still exist, and under that name, I wonder?

More
03 Jul 2006 23:17 #6086 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Superman Returns

Or maybe the writers or studio thought that "the American way" suggests a right-wing political agenda.

didn't think of that. that could be it too.

www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
04 Jul 2006 02:05 #6087 by JKap
Replied by JKap on topic Re: Superman Returns
The phrase 'The American Way' doesn't strike the same chord in readers/viewers that it once did. Especially overseas. It's actually such a loaded term nowadays that I'm sure the writers wrestled for weeks over how to adapt the signature phrase to our new-millenium global audience.

More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds