Amount

New Supergirl DVD release - Nov 28???

24 Nov 2006 21:15 #7412 by YAGS
Amazon.com is advertising a new DVD release of the Supergirl movie this coming Tuesday, November 28.

Anyone know what this is? Is this a re-release of the 2 disc limited edition from a few years ago? If it is, what was additional in this version that was missing the single disc director's cut version that I already have? Apparently, there were some deleted scenes added back in, but those are already in the version that I have. Just trying to figure out if this is something worth buying.

YAGS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• YAGS
  • YAGS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Nov 2006 21:53 #7413 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: New Supergirl DVD release - Nov 28???
YAGS, my copy of the 2-disc set includes:

... audio commentary by the director and the "special project consultant" (whatever that is)
... a "making of" feature
... theatrical trailers and television spots
... storyboards for selected scenes
... a poster gallery
... a director's cut with deleted scenes

Not a bad set of extras, actually. Whether it's worth buying is, of course, up to you. Check the Amazon.com listing again -- they're usually pretty detailed.

On a related note, I've seen some advertising for a director's version of Superman II. Does anyone know if it includes any new Ursa footage?

More
24 Nov 2006 23:29 #7414 by YAGS
Thanks for the info. Actually, the amazon listing is about as unhelpful as I've ever seen. I suspect it's just a re-release of the 2 disc version from a few years ago, so thanks for letting me know what's on that. I'm pretty sure my single disc version has all the deleted scenes already, and I just don't consider the other extras to be worth it. Maybe if I didn't already have the movie, but not just for that.

You're right about the new Superman 2. I had heard months ago about it, but I didn't realize it's coming out this week, too. They're calling it "The Richard Donner cut". I'm pretty sure there will be lots of deleted scenes, and I know of at least one that includes Ursa that I saw in an "extended version" years ago that never made it to DVD.

There's also a Superman boxed set coming out that includes all 4 Christopher Reeve movies, the Donner cut of Superman 2, Superman Returns, and more extras than I can imagine anyone actually wanting. No Supergirl, though. And of course, Superman Returns is coming out the same week, which explains the timing of releasing the rest all at once.

So I'll probably just buy the Donner cut of S2, since I have all the movies except Superman Returns already. I was actually wondering if they'd release it separately for those of us that wanted just that, and I'm glad they are.

YAGS

• YAGS
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Nov 2006 09:19 #7416 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: New Supergirl DVD release - Nov 28???
My Super-Ex Girlfriend is also coming out on DVD on Dec 19. You can pre-order now.

I haven't found any info on the DVD itself, so don't know if any extra scenes are included.

Anybody have better info on the DVD?

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Nov 2006 12:39 #7417 by Albais
Replied by Albais on topic Re: New Supergirl DVD release - Nov 28???
Well here it is for 2nd time:

www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/my-super-ex-girlfriend.html

lso some coments below...

More
25 Nov 2006 15:33 #7418 by YAGS
In following that link to the Super-Ex info, I noticed a link from there to this article about a mistake in the Ultimate Superman set:

www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/super-blunder.html

I wasn't planning to buy the set anyway, but anyone who is thinking of buying it should probably read this first.

YAGS

• YAGS
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Nov 2006 16:09 #7419 by lfan
So what exactly IS a "forced, combo trailer"?

ElF

Well here it is for 2nd time:

www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/my-super-ex-girlfriend.html

lso some coments below...

More
30 Nov 2006 20:18 #7480 by julievelor
Replied by julievelor on topic Richard Donner cut
Anybody seen this yet? How is it? Is it worth buying? None of the rental places in my neighborhood have it.

More
01 Dec 2006 11:01 #7481 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: Richard Donner cut

Anybody seen this yet? How is it? Is it worth buying? None of the rental places in my neighborhood have it.

My copy arrived 5 minutes ago from amazon.co.uk. Been waiting for this for years. I'll let you know if it was worth my hard-earned once I get some quiet time alone with a DVD player...

More
01 Dec 2006 17:46 #7482 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: New Supergirl DVD release - Nov 28???
OK, was it worth buying the Donner Cut?

I'm not going to comment on the "whole movie experience" as other people will do that better than I can.

Just to say, a couple of key Ursa scenes are different in this version:

- The famous helicpoter scene is a tiny bit different - better in this new cut I believe.

- The attack on the White House scene is extremely different, with quite a few Ursa moments/angles that are new in the almost unrecognisably changed battle (anyone who shares my taste will LOVE Ursa's contribution in this version). Also, Ursa gets to taunt the men in the President's office afterwards, too.

- There's also a little more of Ursa in the battle in Metropolis scene than in the original release, and in the rather changed scene immediately afterwards when the villains return triumphantly to the Daily Planet's offices.

- Ursa gets a few more precious frames on screen in the final fortress of solitude scene.

Some things aren't there that I thought/hoped would be. I know that footage exists SOMEWHERE of the following which do not appear on the DVD:
- a single line by Ursa at the end of the moon scene in which she says, delightedly, "Men! To kill!"
- an extention of the scene where the villains confront the hick cops.
- a scene where Non kills a boy and Ursa gloats over it.

There's the usual "Deleted Scenes" option on the 2nd, "Donner's Cut" disc, but sadly, none of them feature Ursa.

I've not checked out Disc 1 which has the theatrical release on it, but according to the jacket, the only deleted scene there is "Superman's Souffle"... There are also 8 episodes of the original cartoon. Personally, I'd swap 8 whole series of cartoons for 8 seconds of Sarah Douglas, but everyone knows I'm a sicko.

So, was it worth buying? Well, there is SOME (i.e. a few seconds' worth) new Ursa footage, so for me, yes, it was, even if a couple of clips didn't seem to make it. I suppose it'll be another 25 year wait before those see the light of DVD release...

I bet the folks over at ursasworld.com are going to be having fun with the new stuff.

More
03 Dec 2006 21:03 #7495 by YAGS
Well, I bought the "Ultimate" boxed set. Probably not worth the $70, but I can afford to waste a little bit of money now and then. Now I'll spend the rest of the month shopping for holiday gifts and not spend anything on myself again until January.

As ConceptFan mentioned, there are some additional Ursa clips here and there in the Donner cut. I liked the new White House battle, and her little bit in the Daily Planet office after Supes runs away after the big city battle. But unfortunately, there really wasn't much else of note.

The extras for the first movie included screen tests of actors trying out for some of the roles. Oddly, the only three roles that they showed screen tests for were Superman/Clark Kent (they just showed Christopher Reeves screen testing for both characters separately), Lois Lane (they showed a bunch of actresses, including some surprisingly famous women), and ... Ursa! Still not sure why they chose to show women auditioning for her role, and none of the other characters, but I'm not really complaining. The whole thing was fairly short, and the footage wasn't the best quality, but it was kinda cool to see.

Other than that, no other ubergirl material that I've seen so far. The scene that CF mentioned, which I specifically remember seeing as a kid, where Non killed a kid and Ursa gloats excitedly, is nowhere to be found. I haven't gotten to everything yet, though. There may be more Ursa footage in the extras that I haven't gotten to.

As for overall, the first movie had a few "deleted scenes", but they were more like deleted frames. There were no notable scenes, just bits and pieces of things built into existing scenes. The extra features are kind of cool, but the movie itself isn't different enough to be worth buying just for that if you've already got it. The theatrical version of the second movie is unchanged. There's one deleted scene with Superman cooking for Lois in the Fortress of Solitude, before he gives up his powers for her. It's kinda cute, but that's it. The one and only deleted scene.

As for the Donner cut, there were a few scenes that were completely different that were cool, like Lois jumping out of Perry White's office window to prove that Clark is Superman, instead of jumping in the river at Niagara Falls. Also, the way she found out that he really is Superman worked for me.

But as for the stuff that was in the original version that got reworked, I think a lot of it actually worked better in the theatrical release. I liked the White House fight, but I can see why Ursa's extra line of gloating was edited out of the original version. The takeover of the town in Idaho was seriously cut down, which removed quite a few scenes that worked well. The fight in the big city was reworked quite a bit - some of which worked, and some of which didn't.

All in all, both the theatrical release and the Donner cut have their good points and their bad. If I run across any more ubergirl material in watching the set, I'll be sure to let you all know.

In the mean time, now that I've watched the parts of the set that I have, I think I'm likely to be far pickier about the quality of the acting in Superman Returns when I watch that on DVD. I thought the actors were ok, but not noteworthy when watching it in the theater. Now I'm going to hold them to a higher standard, comparing more directly to the originals, and I just don't think they'll measure up.

YAGS

• YAGS
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Dec 2006 17:47 #7507 by julievelor
Replied by julievelor on topic Donner cut
I found a rental copy at a local grocery store (and yes, this afternoon I'l be going to the video store to buy some vegetables...) and watched it. CF and YAGS have already discussed it, but I'll add my two bits.

Completely new beginning and ending, different ways for LL to try to prove that CK is Supes, extended fight scenes. Did away with Ursa's armwrestling scene.

It's worth renting and watching (and listening to the commentary). The commentary almost makes it worth buying, but doesn't quite get there for me.

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds