Amount

Turning most of Season 7 Smallville over to Kara?!

25 Aug 2007 04:40 #10123 by shadar
Hot off the Press:

Check out the following link... news of Tom Wellings new role, the filming of which overlaps Season 7 Smallville. Interesting in itself.

Even more interestingly, speculation about how his role is replaced on Smallville:

www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_conten...d=3138&Itemid=99

Rumors keep getting better...

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Aug 2007 15:44 #10124 by Random321
Hmm... That one is a bit of a doozie.

The writer is so adamant that he has three sources that it makes me more nervous than if he had just reported what he had learned.

TV actors do find time to shoot movies so I doubt the writers’ own opinion that Kara would take over most of the show. Welling could shoot a feature and keep up a full role on Smallville.

Welling being Superman in RYB sounds great. It even paves the way for Kara to get an outfit down the road if she works out and spins off.

I just worry that other than Batman the hero “phase” we have been in is going to fade. Spiderman fatigue? Recall Catwoman? Plus TV is packed with people who have paranormal abilities.

I just don’t want to go from overload to nothing.

My hope is that SG gets a solid role on Smallville, stays away from the big screen other than as a support in a major film, and gets a spin off from Smallville sooner rather than later.

This news might be ideal ~ but too good to be true?!

More
25 Aug 2007 18:49 #10125 by shadar
All valid concerns, Random. We have to hope the stars stay aligned long enough to give us some shows/movies of interest.

But, stories of superheroes are in vogue, and this last generation or two of kids has no problem with superheroines/villains being physically as powerful (or more) than the toughest guy. Network moguls didn't know what to do with the show Dark Angel a few years ago, but they do now.

Another sign post... look at the evolution of the failed TV show Firefly into the movie Serenity. The biggest change is that the girl, who was merely a bit off her rocker in the TV show, is suddenly able to take on a room full of the most hideous and dangerous warriors imaginable (Reevers) and kills them all with raw physical abilities. They played that angle hard.

Look at Jessica in Heroes, not to mention the unhurtable cheerleader.

Even Smallville has been slowly traveling the path of increasing female power through its many seasons.

I've been tuned into this genre, such as it is, since the 1960's, and this is the first time a large demographic of television watching consumers has been interested in these kind of characters. And the first time we've had a network that wants to serve up such a variety of fantasy comic book themes in prime time.

I think that trend will grow stronger before it fades. (Everything changes over time). But the formula that the CW network is built upon is that of young, sexy, barely dressed actors and actresses with unusual abilities acting out plots that are essentially soap operas aimed at a late teens to early twenties demographic. I'm not so thrilled by the portrayals of teenage angst, but if it involves the likes of Kara and her ilk, then all else is forgiven.

And don't forget NBC's Bionic Woman... more science fiction than comic book fantasy.

At this point, there is nothing wrong with letting our hopes rise a bit higher than we usually allow. I think we're going to get a multiple year run these kinds of shows. Enough to fill up our archives (which you have been helping with, Random -- thank you) before something else catches the public's fancy.

Shadar

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2007 21:33 #10127 by lfan
The news was broke supposedly by IEBS and announced Friday evening in an interview with the editor-in-chief on G4's "Attack of the Show"

I happened to catch it and the editor again backed up his sources saying that its the same source that had given him his latest 2-3 scoops, both of which proved to be true (one of them was some GI Joe movie casting news, I think)

He sounded legit but not overly defensive. If someone woulda told me this news, I'd be skeptical because film rarely plucks actors from TV vehicles, except for cameos (Xfiles movie being the only exception that comes to mind). Still, I think Weiling would do an admirable job and def be more "in budget" with an ensemble cast concept.

ElF

The writer is so adamant that he has three sources that it makes me more nervous than if he had just reported what he had learned.

More
26 Aug 2007 04:04 #10128 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Update
For what it's worth, report on the rumor from Kryptonsite.com:

"On the August 24 edition of G4TV's Attack of the Show and IESB.net, it was reported that Tom Welling has been approached to play the Man of Steel for Warner Bros.' big-screen movie adaptation of the Justice League of America.

This morning, we received word from Smallville's executive producer and creator Alfred Gough that this is not the case.

"Completely false. Hasn't been approached. He's under contract to the show through season 8," Gough says.

More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds