Amount

Bionic Woman Premiere

13 Sep 2007 01:59 #10269 by lfan
Bionic Woman Premiere was created by lfan
OK, first the good news. you can now download the actual episode legally and FOR FREE at Amazon's new Unbox site. Note that this one looks to be the final version that will air, a couple of the scenes have changed including the "switchout" of her sister from Mae Whitman to Lucy Hale. The link is here:

www.amazon.com/gp/ays?asin=B000VU6K1M

The bad news: UGH! The running scene in the forest is extended and starts to look better but then looks stupid again -- REAL stupid. If this is how the running effects are gonna be going forward, I hope Jaime will choose to take a cab to fight evil!!

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Sep 2007 02:18 #10271 by keirun
Replied by keirun on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
The link asks for a password and username, but the page that comes up after that has no clips. :cry:

More
13 Sep 2007 06:50 #10274 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere

OK, first the good news. you can now download the actual episode legally and FOR FREE at Amazon's new Unbox site. Note that this one looks to be the final version that will air, a couple of the scenes have changed including the "switchout" of her sister from Mae Whitman to Lucy Hale. The link is here:

www.amazon.com/gp/ays?asin=B000VU6K1M

The bad news: UGH! The running scene in the forest is extended and starts to look better but then looks stupid again -- REAL stupid. If this is how the running effects are gonna be going forward, I hope Jaime will choose to take a cab to fight evil!!

ElF

When I saw it at comi-con I wasn't impressed. I don't think this show is going to be what we imagined as real fans of the original.

More
13 Sep 2007 12:55 #10279 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
You need an Amazon account to "purchase" it --- for $0. I'd ordered from Amazon before in the past so I had a profile stored. I would assume you can set one up somewhere on their site (online retailers LOVE info about you).....good luck!

ElF

The link asks for a password and username, but the page that comes up after that has no clips. :cry:

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Sep 2007 02:11 #10286 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
I'd rather watch the revised premiere in HD on TV myself.

More
19 Sep 2007 23:47 #10332 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
A lot of message board posters are bashing the new pilot, so are a lot of blog sites. Glen Moragn left. It may go on early hiatus to so later episodes can be rewritten. Is this show in real trouble?

More
20 Sep 2007 09:14 #10339 by mercblue22
Replied by mercblue22 on topic My thoughtsa
Hello all,
I've seen the pilot, and will have to give the first ep a 6/10. First off, there are not enough bionic uses being introduced in the pilot. I liked the superspeed yes, but I really, really doubt we are going to see any strength scenes in this one. Its more of as dark angel/girl kicking butt type show, it seems. (with just a few heightened perks that no other humans have) Me, I think Jaime is very sexy, BUT, if its going to to have no strength scenes, which were one of the great things Lindsay BionicW had, then, the show wont make it past 5 eps.(A lot of BW fans want this BW to have some of the perks that made us love the first BW) Also, NO kind of bionic sound, whatsoever, really waters out the show... :(

What do you all think?

Fonzie

More
20 Sep 2007 16:13 #10341 by Antlion
Replied by Antlion on topic Re: My thoughtsa

Hello all,
Also, NO kind of bionic sound, whatsoever, really waters out the show... :(
Fonzie

In all honesty I like it this way alot better. It makes her strength scenes a lot more "natural" then artificial. This is one of the things i always hated about the old bionic woman. :cry:

More
20 Sep 2007 21:34 #10342 by JAG1981
Replied by JAG1981 on topic Re: My thoughtsa

Antlion wrote:

Hello all,
Also, NO kind of bionic sound, whatsoever, really waters out the show... :(
Fonzie

Actually if you listen carefully, when she is starting the superspeed run through the forest the classic sound effect is there, just briefly. I knew they would do it at one point or another, have to pay tribute to the classic series. But this is 2007. Most people don't want that kinda thing is these "serious action/drama" series so you won't hear it everytime like you did in the original. But it is there at least once!

JAG

More
28 Sep 2007 02:30 #10391 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
Well, I watched it and I actually really liked it. It has a Painkiller Jane feel to it, but perhaps a bit better. Less over the top camera work just because they have the time and equipment. Lots of rain machine stuff ~ but I like sexy wet hair so I’m okay with it.

It wasn’t as epic as I expected but it was a good set up. I actually like her sister and the doctor. Katie makes a good bad guy. I wonder how they are going to expand on the story line and character. The number of BSG characters threw me for a minute ~ but I’ll get over it. Chief!!!

I’m glad the ratings were good. I hope it hangs on. I do feel like someone has been reading over my shoulder ~ especially with the changes that they have made ~ good grief!

I thought it was better than the Heroes season start ~ but then again Heroes tends to get better with time and has all the potential to grow.

More
01 Oct 2007 18:04 #10446 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
Ok, I caught the last 40 minutes of it (sorry, I was out dancing at the time). From what I saw they were addressing some of the more introspective issues such as "what part of 'I' is the machine?" that they pretty much ignored in the original. They also spliced in a sex teaser edited for "family show" of course (Who's family? The Osbornes?) in a tip of the hat to our genre.

Ok, enough licking assets. Here's the VE "me" part of this review: the standard sexy, non-two-dimensional-killing machine cyborg chick in my book nowadays is the "Major" in Ghost in the Shell. While the new Bionic Woman writers obviously tipped their hat to the GitS Committee, the new Bionic Woman simply didn't tear nearly as far out of the box as GitS does, even if they DID try to take things in their own new direction. Too much of their "new direction" felt like "Major" warmed over.

I therefore predict that as this new Bionic Woman becomes more comfortable with the machine parts of herself that she will actually turn into our beloved late-night lingere-filling anime cyborg chick: the Major.

And yeah, ok fine. For the juvies in the readership: if Major and Jamie got into a fight Major would start out ahead because she's just plain got enough kung-fu software loaded in to outright faceplant Kiano Reeves. But Jamie would probably win in the end because she's got that whole instant nanobot regeneration thing going on whereas the Major's recovery abilities involve a 5-year powertrain warantee and a whole garage full of red-smocked techs. I'd watch that fight if it were to be, but my aye's would be glued to the anime side the whole time. She's just way hotter.

Effects-wise the new Bionic Woman got a two-shrug rating from me. Yes they had lots of nice heavy cyberpunk sprinklers on set and blue lenses when they were shooting it (standard stock on the Sci-Fi channel set), but anything "special" seemed to me like it was put together by a couple'a college students on a borrowed Mac in Final Cut Pro. There was nothing that looked labor intensive. And the whole "pitter patter" sound when running fast....um....yeah. I'm with lfan on this one: take a cab.

Nowthen: I no wanna hear no more complaints 'bout how I roast folks and their hard wrought stories and artwork. I treat everybody out here like pros, and there's your proof. There is one difference. I respect y'all volunteers greatly for tryin'. But when the pros fall short I just pitty them in their doomed chosen line of work. Just call me Simon. I'm ok w/ that.

I do hold out hope though. In business you must fail three times before you succeed. I look forward to shows years in the future with "from the producers and writers of Bionic Woman" in their trailers. Two whole shows from now I expect an actual done-right hit from this team. A rehashed Wonder Woman flop in the middle perhaps? That would be cheesy goodness.

-Paw.

More
01 Oct 2007 20:41 #10448 by lfan
I think I mentioned it before, but does anyone find it bitterly ironic that they shoot this series in Vancouver, and they needed to spend money on SFX to actually make it rain??? BSG is filmed in Vancouver too, so I know Eick has been there!! LOL

(shrugs) I know why, but I just thought it was cool that an Executive Producer would do that! :P

ElF

......Effects-wise the new Bionic Woman got a two-shrug rating from me. Yes they had lots of nice heavy cyberpunk sprinklers on set and blue lenses when they were shooting it .....

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Oct 2007 20:42 #10490 by ltbelial
Replied by ltbelial on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere

Ok, I caught the last 40 minutes of it (sorry, I was out dancing at the time). From what I saw they were addressing some of the more introspective issues such as "what part of 'I' is the machine?" that they pretty much ignored in the original. They also spliced in a sex teaser edited for "family show" of course (Who's family? The Osbornes?) in a tip of the hat to our genre.

Ok, enough licking assets. Here's the VE "me" part of this review: the standard sexy, non-two-dimensional-killing machine cyborg chick in my book nowadays is the "Major" in Ghost in the Shell. While the new Bionic Woman writers obviously tipped their hat to the GitS Committee, the new Bionic Woman simply didn't tear nearly as far out of the box as GitS does, even if they DID try to take things in their own new direction. Too much of their "new direction" felt like "Major" warmed over.

I therefore predict that as this new Bionic Woman becomes more comfortable with the machine parts of herself that she will actually turn into our beloved late-night lingere-filling anime cyborg chick: the Major.

And yeah, ok fine. For the juvies in the readership: if Major and Jamie got into a fight Major would start out ahead because she's just plain got enough kung-fu software loaded in to outright faceplant Kiano Reeves. But Jamie would probably win in the end because she's got that whole instant nanobot regeneration thing going on whereas the Major's recovery abilities involve a 5-year powertrain warantee and a whole garage full of red-smocked techs. I'd watch that fight if it were to be, but my aye's would be glued to the anime side the whole time. She's just way hotter.

Effects-wise the new Bionic Woman got a two-shrug rating from me. Yes they had lots of nice heavy cyberpunk sprinklers on set and blue lenses when they were shooting it (standard stock on the Sci-Fi channel set), but anything "special" seemed to me like it was put together by a couple'a college students on a borrowed Mac in Final Cut Pro. There was nothing that looked labor intensive. And the whole "pitter patter" sound when running fast....um....yeah. I'm with lfan on this one: take a cab.

Nowthen: I no wanna hear no more complaints 'bout how I roast folks and their hard wrought stories and artwork. I treat everybody out here like pros, and there's your proof. There is one difference. I respect y'all volunteers greatly for tryin'. But when the pros fall short I just pitty them in their doomed chosen line of work. Just call me Simon. I'm ok w/ that.

I do hold out hope though. In business you must fail three times before you succeed. I look forward to shows years in the future with "from the producers and writers of Bionic Woman" in their trailers. Two whole shows from now I expect an actual done-right hit from this team. A rehashed Wonder Woman flop in the middle perhaps? That would be cheesy goodness.

-Paw.

As rule I do not like anime but I loved Ghost in the Shell. Ive seen the first movie and both stand alone complex, i did not see innocence nor solid state society. Its very well written, its smart and very enjoyable, and Im not talking about the fetish point o view since the Major is a very hot uber girl and Shirow's beautifull drawing style becomes an even bigger plus.
I must make a remark, however, about those little spiders with childrens voice in both stand alone complex, they were the low point of GitS in my oppinion and they were such a big deal as far as being able to remain immersed in the story. I was disappointed that along with such a well designed and believable future(for sci fi standars at the very least) there was such a big buzzkill.
Comparing Bionic Woman with GitS is pointless(constructive criticism). Im mildly interested in Bionic Woman only for the fetish part and even then i feel its a piece of crap, the sooner it gets canceled the better for me.

More
17 Dec 2007 02:44 #11115 by lfan

[
Im mildly interested in Bionic Woman only for the fetish part and even then i feel its a piece of crap, the sooner it gets canceled the better for me.

Got your wish....looks like NBC finally threw down the axe. Shame, as while the stories from episode #1 to episode #8 seemed to flounder around with no direction or continuity (e.g. was the whole Sarah Corvis storyline a dream sequence???), I felt the writers were doing a little better job near the end. Sadly, in today's cable-challenged, reality-overfed, mainstream TV world, there is the quick and the dead for new shows, especially dramas. The WGA strike probably killed any patience the execs might have had for it.

No doubt it's too expensive to be shilled off to their sister derivative network (Sci-fi channel) too...bummer!

While critics panned Michelle Ryan, I thought there was something bionically sexy about her. Shame! Looks like Random and New Goddess now have the monopoly on the bionic heroines again....

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Dec 2007 16:28 #11120 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
A shame, but not unexpected given the low ratings. For all it's faults, I still enjoyed the series even though a new creative team seemed to be unveiled for every episode and not suprisingly lacked direction. Shame as well that Michelle was panned for her role, I still think she's not a bad actress, but maybe as a support rather than lead.

More
18 Dec 2007 10:02 #11135 by cnnjack
Replied by cnnjack on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
I wouldn't really believe anything you hear until it comes from NBC.

--> Watching Bionic Woman

I don't know if you heard about it, but it was pretty much the same with the rumor about Katee Sackhoff "definitely" leaving the show, which turned out to be rubbish.

Of course, it's still possible that BW gets cancelled eventually and it might be even more probable but I think nobody knows for sure right now.

But as it seems that the writer's strike will last for a while, we might have to wait for a couple of weeks or maybe even months until NBC makes an official statement about BW. Then again maybe they'll cancel it tomorrow, on the other hand maybe not ;)

More
18 Dec 2007 17:41 #11136 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
Well I hope that article is correct, at least it means there's a glimmer of hope some more episodes may be filmed. Thanks for the link.

More
18 Dec 2007 23:16 #11139 by AJF
TVguide.com has has an offical statment from NBC, saying that BW will resume filming of at least five more episodes as soon as the strike is over.

More
19 Dec 2007 03:22 #11141 by lfan
It's a Festivus miracle!!!!

TVguide.com has has an offical statment from NBC, saying that BW will resume filming of at least five more episodes as soon as the strike is over.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Dec 2007 03:46 #11142 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere

It's a Festivus miracle!!!!

Now for the airing of grievances!

More
19 Dec 2007 18:14 #11144 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
I have the Festivus Pole!

More
20 Dec 2007 01:48 #11150 by CaptainIrishman
Replied by CaptainIrishman on topic Re: Bionic Woman Premiere
In fairness, is anyone actually surprised that the show is in danger of becoming yet another blip in tv history?

More
20 Dec 2007 17:26 #11164 by AJF
I always new that the show might fail. I didn't expect to fall that far in the ratings though. I have been disapointed with the show's overall quality, but I blame most of the show's problems on NBC's constant messing around with the show.

Most people are not aware of just how much the suits at NBC have hurt the show with their tinkering. It's much worse than most people, even diehard fans even know. This is not the show David Eick and Jason Smilovic set out to make. NBC never gave them the chance.

More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds