Amount

More Darna on the way...

29 Jul 2009 14:00 #16262 by lfan
More Darna on the way... was created by lfan
It's amazing how US mainstream TV/Entertainment Production, with all its channels, captial, and resources, doesn't have the gumption to try a superheroine based show/movie featuring one of the ironic females of comics like WW or Supergirl.

Meanwhile, the Philipines continues to churn out the new heroines at the pace of seemingly one a year (Super Klenk, Darna, Krystala, Super Twins, Dragonna, etc). Granted, they don't last too long (maybe that is their formula) but they are not shy about trying it over and over again.

Now, they are doing Darna (their Wonder Woman) AGAIN, after the old series aired only a few years ago. Looks promising a little more polished from a visual FX standpoint from what I've seen.

Here is the trailer with the new actress:

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Jul 2009 22:21 #16267 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Ifan, I think the networks and film studios think that female heroine shows and films arn't markerable to mass audiences. Most female-led action/gnres shows do not last long. For every Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Alias you get 10 Bionic Woman 2007's and Birds of Prey.

For every Resident Evil you get 10 Supergirls (1984) and Catwoman.
It's all about the money.

More
30 Jul 2009 01:59 #16268 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Also hero shows in general just don't have much interest. TV is just getting pathetic these days.

More
30 Jul 2009 03:31 #16269 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Actually latest Darna serie (and also Krystala which was almost a clone) had more than 100 episodes ... Darna 165 and Krystala 133.
Dragonna, Varga and some others had lot less numbers (9 and 11).

It depends how famous the character is and which % of audience the show earns. For example Dyesebel and Dyosa (eventhough they are not really 'superheroines') being very famous characters over there in the Philippines lasted so many episodes (125 and 115).

Anyway, Philippine people rule, "we" should learn from them lol

More
30 Jul 2009 10:58 #16273 by Lastleaf
Replied by Lastleaf on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Its coming this August as the show its going to replace, which is Zorro btw, is ending in two weeks.

We love Darna here and it is actually a great honor for any actress to portray her. It is such a coveted role here. Marian Rivera's popularity here is phenomenal and since she works at GMA7 the station that owns the rights to Darna she was "awarded" the role.

There is no doubt this Darna will garner high ratings. I don't expect nor want any complicated storylines especially as it targets a younger demographic, I just want it to be entertaining, something that makes me a kid again.

More
30 Jul 2009 16:48 #16279 by Helstar
Well I must admit that Angel Locsin was a prettier girl, but anyway ...

Btw, is it true that finally the Krystala DVD are out ? Do you know ?

More
31 Jul 2009 10:10 #16287 by Lastleaf
Replied by Lastleaf on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Angel Locsin had she not switched networks would still be Darna. There were plans for a Darna and Captain Barbell team up, which would pair her up again with Richard Gutierrez who played Captain Barbell. That would have raised ratings through the roof as they had a very good chemistry together.

ABS-CBN was shrewd to snatch her up.

Angel's departure was what actually opened the opportunity for Marian so there will be always comparisons between the two.

I don't know about Krystala DVD. But they're probably out if there are any. Krystala was about 2 years ago.

More
31 Jul 2009 12:59 #16288 by sadetec
Replied by sadetec on topic Re: More Darna on the way...

It's amazing how US mainstream TV/Entertainment Production, with all its channels, captial, and resources, doesn't have the gumption to try a superheroine based show/movie featuring one of the ironic females of comics like WW or Supergirl.

Out of interest, how many episodes did Super Klenk eventually run for? It's one of those shows you sometimes see mentioned briefly on forums, but there's no fan pages, photos, or clips on YouTube. I'm assuming it wasn't very popular?

More
31 Jul 2009 14:46 #16289 by Captain Marbles
Replied by Captain Marbles on topic Re: More Darna on the way...

ElF

More
31 Jul 2009 15:15 #16290 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: More Darna on the way...

ElF

I thought we were so close with Kara on Smallville spinning off too... <sigh>

It would be nice if they would try it with an "iconic" rather than just an "ironic" one too. :P

More
31 Jul 2009 18:32 #16291 by Helstar

Out of interest, how many episodes did Super Klenk eventually run for? It's one of those shows you sometimes see mentioned briefly on forums, but there's no fan pages, photos, or clips on YouTube. I'm assuming it wasn't very popular?

It's a 1999 serie, they did 13 episodes only. But it was a little bit demential (like Super B).

More
01 Aug 2009 10:30 #16299 by mercblue22
Replied by mercblue22 on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
I am REALLY looking forward to the new Darna myself. I just hope someone posts it on YT as most of us live in the US and won't be able to see the show air live on TV here. (darn US media and their crappy reality TV shows!)

And yes, I have been looking for any type of clip of Super Klenk for years now. I dont think there is anything out there video wise of this show (shame too) In fact, I have 1 picture of Ara Mina in her teacher guise and SK next to her. That might be one the only pic out there of SK.

Too bad someone from the Philippines didnt tape the show and could share some footage of it. Would be nice :)

Fonzie

More
01 Aug 2009 17:35 #16303 by Helstar
There are even problems to have Krystala and Darna, you figure about 10 old years serie xD

But don't worry Darna will be available :P you know where eheh

More
02 Aug 2009 11:06 #16310 by mercblue22
Replied by mercblue22 on topic Reply
Yup,
I seen the entire Krystala series too years ago when ABS-CBN allowed you to view its TV series online. It eas a pretty cool series too. (not too much super feats in it) But, I did like one of the villains, a woman turned monsterous gargoyle at night. She had to be tied up and transformed as the moon came up.

I also have 70% of the 2005 Darna TV series too. Good series but minimal strength scenes in it as well. Kind of sucks too because Darna has super strength and they rarely played on that aspect in the '05 series. Hopefully they will in the 2009 series which starts in 9 days, woot! :D

Fonzie

More
02 Aug 2009 12:04 #16311 by Brantwood
Replied by Brantwood on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Hey mercblue22,

could you share the 70% of the 2005 Darna Series with us?

I only have some clips from Youtube
:?: :?: :?:

More
02 Aug 2009 15:49 #16313 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Re: Reply
Merc, if you have the Krystala wmv episodes with DRM (you could download them also, not only viewing on stream) I think I can do something =)

More
02 Aug 2009 21:51 #16314 by mercblue22
LOL,
Me, share, what made you get that idea!? :P Honestly, I'm trying to convert my DVDs (someone fropm the Phillippines did them for me back in 2005) to avi's to share. I am having problems though with some eps as time, cheap CDs (VCD format) has warped a few of the discs. But, I'll see about posting what I can take from the CDs. (I also am trying to find a way to make them smaller then the 250MBs each 25 min ep seems to be coming off as)

Stay tuned

Fonzie

More
02 Aug 2009 21:56 #16315 by mercblue22
Replied by mercblue22 on topic K
Hey Helstar,
Its FUNNY you mentioned the Krystala eps and that crappy WMD format! (ARGH!)
Before ABS took the K eps down from their site years ago, I managed to burn most of them on discs. But, because it was asking for licenses (and the eps no longer out there) I cannot view them on my discs any longer. If you have a way to get rid of that crappy WMD format, I could see and possibly try and post them somewhere for everyone. Any ideas?

Fonzie

More
02 Aug 2009 21:58 #16316 by Helstar

I am having problems though with some eps as time, cheap CDs (VCD format) has warped a few of the discs.

I'm not sure I've understood what does this mean...

More
05 Aug 2009 02:26 #16333 by mercblue22
It means some of the CDs I have with Darna have warped over time and now won't play right. Sorry :D

More
05 Aug 2009 14:42 #16337 by Helstar
Oh, I see ... warped = damaged ^^

More
11 Aug 2009 10:41 #16362 by mercblue22
Replied by mercblue22 on topic Darna Time!
Darna 2009 begins this Wed and I am psyched!
I just discovered my local Direct TV carrier has the GMA Pinoy TV package and they are going to install it just in time for Darna '09!

Finally, I'll get to watch and record every Darna episode this time. Darna is supposed to be based on the classic 50s Darna who posses super strength.

Nothing better then car lifts and superheroine transformations, ahh, lifes good! :D

Fonzie

More
11 Aug 2009 14:59 #16364 by Helstar
Actually first episode has been already aired yesterday ^^

Oh about that thing you know, I'm going to do the torrent, just have to understand how to create that lol

More
11 Aug 2009 15:10 #16365 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Re: Darna Time!

Nothing better then car lifts and superheroine transformations, ahh, lifes good! :D Fonzie

You got that right Fonzie! :D

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Aug 2009 20:08 #16370 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: More Darna on the way...
Did you catch any strength feats in the new series?

More
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds