Amount

Agents of shield

24 Oct 2013 00:03 #33742 by clipfreak
Agents of shield was created by clipfreak
Anyone following this, it's been a couple of episodes now.

As I haven't seen any yet I was wondering if this has any potential. One would think it should have dozens of supergirls given the source material.

I'm hoping they do the miss marvel story, it would make for an excellent season story arc, especially if they do it slow like her keeping it a secret and the powers don't set in all at once or something.

Or is it another letdown :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clipfreak
  • clipfreak's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2013 00:18 - 24 Oct 2013 01:42 #33746 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Agents of shield
Well they never implied there would be super women in this show, so not really a letdown. There's a good chance they'll eventually have a plot involving a super strong girl (a super strong dude is the main plot of the pilot episode).

Do not expect any actual superheroes though. Not unless there's some sweeps episode where Captain America shows up for a few minutes or something.

Fun fact: The cute brunette is played by actress Chloe Bennet. But that's just a stage name.

Her real name is Chloe Wang, she's half Chinese, is fluent in Mandarin and she lived used to live in mainland China. Also, she used to be a Chinese pop star.

Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 01:42 by steelknight3000.

More
24 Oct 2013 00:45 #33748 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Agents of shield
A friend of mine put it best. She was very Wealmed by the show.

Theres an interesting idea-a show about marvel style superheros(male or female) could be a lot of fun. However this isn't that. Its a show about people vaguely around superheros, that so far isn't that great. I realize that there seems to be a big belief that superheros don't work on TV(never mind they do about 2 billion a year in box office, and arrow is doing pretty good).This also isn't Shield from the Comics, it has to be a superhero show- which isn't quite what shield comics where-which where all about ridicious nick furry agianst ridicious other stuff. Colsen can't quite do that either. So its about kind of generic spies dealing with people who sup....well you know

So this seems...kind of vauge. Not precisly bad. but vauge.

Ms. Marvel would be a good TV show, or a character in a marvel TV show. This is probabbly never going to be that show.

More
24 Oct 2013 02:59 #33753 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Agents of shield
I'm a little surprised that they seem intent NOT to use the vast stable of Marvel characters at their disposal. There are plenty of opportunities to get comics fans all excited without having to clear Robert Downey Jr's schedule for a few days. Why can't they meet an Air Force officer who happens to be named Carol Danvers? What about flying their superplane to the African nation of Wakanda? You could also have any number of silent cameos from Iron Man, Spider-Man and the Hulk without involving Downey, Garfield and whoever's playing the Hulk this year.

Smallville, and now Arrow, seem to have no problem giving us TV versions of DC characters without overloading their effects budget. Dammit, I want my Squirrel Girl!

More
24 Oct 2013 05:08 #33756 by castor

www1969 wrote: I'm a little surprised that they seem intent NOT to use the vast stable of Marvel characters at their disposal. There are plenty of opportunities to get comics fans all excited without having to clear Robert Downey Jr's schedule for a few days. Why can't they meet an Air Force officer who happens to be named Carol Danvers? What about flying their superplane to the African nation of Wakanda? You could also have any number of silent cameos from Iron Man, Spider-Man and the Hulk without involving Downey, Garfield and whoever's playing the Hulk this year.

Smallville, and now Arrow, seem to have no problem giving us TV versions of DC characters without overloading their effects budget.
Dammit, I want my Squirrel Girl!

You get a karma point for the Squirel girl Refrence. I still maintain she is the most cinematic character they have, and you don't want to put her in TV.

which is the problem. Since this is the cinematic universe i think there going to take the approach that if they appear on TV they can't make a movie out of them. Iron fist? Clock and Danger? these characters are proabbly not going to make a movie. but who knows. Kinda greedy. Certainly not the villians-I for example would like to see the cinematic take on Say "Mercy" whose my favorite hulk villian-which there i don't think going to make a movie of.

(Also i think there going to take the position that American TV can't add to much necessary cannon to a series thats frankly dependent on international sales.)

Ms. Marvel in this sence-who i give 50/50 odds-makes sence not to put in(though Ms. Marvel would not be a bad character to make a show around)...But why not go deep cut. I will admit i have in the past watched the marvel superhero squad-and the real fun of that show is how deep cut they go-and marvel can go pretty deep.

Green Arrow and Smallville don't have to worry about a film cannon-which good or for bad lets them do stuff. I mean already they kind of contradict each other and certainly the christopher nolan stuff. But that is fine.

I tend to think the Marvel Film cannon stuff is a mixed bag. its a very marvel thing to do, but at the same i remember watching the first 10 minutes of avengers without watching thor first and-well not confused but kind of disengaged(but then i kind of didn't like the avengers until the last 20 minutes)

but for Shield I will say this-i suspect somewhere around christmas we will see a character that a comicfan can recognize. its a good mid season type deal.

More
24 Oct 2013 06:35 #33758 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Agents of shield
Ack!!!! Did somebody say Squirel Girl again!? Dkc is gonna lose his shit! :sick: :blink: :evil: :pinch: :huh:

More
24 Oct 2013 23:49 #33785 by clipfreak
Replied by clipfreak on topic Agents of shield
Disapointing, I was really hoping on a smallville replacement.

As for the 'can't use characters because of movies stuff'. Why don't they just set it in an alternative universe, I know the comics aren't shy about that trick.

• clipfreak
More
25 Oct 2013 05:47 #33793 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Agents of shield
It's probably very expensive to license individual characters. I don't think putting Marvel on your contract lets you use Hulk or Captain America that loosely on your TV show.

More
25 Oct 2013 18:49 #33802 by www1969

steelknight3000 wrote: It's probably very expensive to license individual characters. I don't think putting Marvel on your contract lets you use Hulk or Captain America that loosely on your TV show.

I don't claim to be an expert on how these things work, but this is being produced BY Marvel, along with ABC Studios (both owned by Disney) and ("gurrr-aahhrr!") Whedon's Mutant Enemy banner, which I'm sure was a courtesy to have him on board. I doubt that licensing issues are the hurdle you're suggesting.

More
25 Oct 2013 21:15 #33807 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Agents of shield
Yeah, this under the aegis of Marvel Studios and ABC, both of which are part of Disney.

Legally, the only characters that would be off limits are the ones they have licensed to Fox (X-Men and mutants in general, and the Fantastic Four) or Sony (Spiderman and his rogue's gallery).

In spite of almost every other Marvel book being Spiderman or X-Men related, that still leaves them plenty of characters to play with. Their limitations will come from story concerns (they may want to focus on the human characters they have created and the non super corners of their super universed), financial concerns (doing justice to She-Hulk, Captain Marvel or Titania would be expensive), and studio politics (if Katee Sachoff is prepping to play Captain Marvel on the big screen, then they may not want the character to show up on TV first).

Having said all that, I get the impression that Joss Whedon could probably ask for anything and he would get it.

- GeekSeven

More
26 Oct 2013 02:15 #33810 by www1969

geekseven wrote: Having said all that, I get the impression that Joss Whedon could probably ask for anything and he would get it.

Exactly. Bottom line is that they could choose to do pretty much anything they want with any number of characters, mainstream or obscure, outside of the contractual limits you helpfully pointed out above. They're making a choice to stay away from showing us their super stable, and I guess I get that. I'm just saying that they could incorporate the Marvel universe with a few well-placed proper nouns and get the comic geeks (no offense, "seven") all geeked out. If they meet a lawyer, name her Jennifer Walters. If they're in Milwaukee, have them bump into a girl named Doreen Green. Doesn't harm their precious franchises and many viewers wouldn't even get the references, but a bunch of us would, and would love them for it.

More
26 Oct 2013 03:18 #33811 by castor
Well this creates its werid paradox if your right.

The show is about a team of secret agents. The kind of people that get beat up by captian america in the new winter soldier trailer.

if you put them next to superheros-well what does that say? Are they more powerful then the hero weaker?

It is a show about marvel superheros-in which every character was never in a marvel comic.

Very Wealming.

More
13 Nov 2013 17:22 #34244 by oliu99
Replied by oliu99 on topic Marvel's Agents of SHIELD episode 8
The next episode of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD looks promising:

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, SCOTT R

More
13 Nov 2013 23:26 #34249 by www1969
I love how within a second, they ask you to "watch it live" and then immediately tell you how to go about watching it not-live.

More
15 Nov 2013 14:33 #34290 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Agents of shield
I had high hopes for this series (not for super powered female content, just for it being a good show). However, I am finding the character of Skye really annoying. I'm kind of getting tired of her stupid "woe is me" comments when she has proven herself to be untrustworthy time and time again. The bigger question is why in the heck do they keep her around? She really drags down the other plot lines.

More
20 Nov 2013 11:38 - 20 Nov 2013 13:14 #34370 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Agents of shield
In last nights episode a woman touches a magic staff and gains super strength!

Later in the episode Agent May does the same in order to take her out.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2013 13:14 by Markiehoe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camille Jones

More
20 Nov 2013 15:49 #34372 by BloodRayne89
Replied by BloodRayne89 on topic Agents of shield
It's getting harder and harder form me to get motivated to watch this show. The potential is there; I just hope ABC listens to the criticisms and does a better job.

More
22 Nov 2013 20:17 #34407 by supian
Replied by supian on topic Agents of shield
Just started watching it in the UK - Petra has a big nose! but nice start, hopefully she keeps her new powers...

More
17 Jan 2014 21:11 #35138 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Agents of shield
ABC is going to produce an Agent Peggy Carter series.
Plus, Sif from the Thor movies will appear on Agents of Shield later this season. So says Paul Lee, ABC entertainment president.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
18 Jan 2014 21:43 #35160 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic Agents of shield

AJF wrote: ABC is going to produce an Agent Peggy Carter series.
Plus, Sif from the Thor movies will appear on Agents of Shield later this season. So says Paul Lee, ABC entertainment president.

Now THAT I want ot see!!!! Sif was extremelly bad ass in Thor 2, figthing among Gods and Monsters. Put her in the middle of Mortal Shield Agents and she will be awesome! :woohoo:

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
23 Jan 2014 22:24 #35252 by clipfreak
I still haven't seen the show but it's starting/started to air in my country (Netherlands).

The thing is they are running commercials for it showcasing some blonde super babe performing stuff with telekinesis, fireballs and some minor strength.

Is this a character on the show or is it Veronica's own promotion stuff. Because Veronica (name of TV station) has done that before.

• clipfreak
More
24 Jan 2014 00:39 - 24 Jan 2014 00:42 #35258 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Agents of shield
Unless it's a new episode (they are at the 12th of first season) I would say no. Haven't really followed this serie, skipped many episodes, not liking it.

Your description could lead to "The Tomorrow People", as the lead female character has more or less those powers ... but she's not blonde.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 24 Jan 2014 00:42 by Helstar.

More
24 Jan 2014 19:55 #35278 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Agents of shield
Sif comes to earth to capture Loreli in the episode she appears in. Lorieli is the younger sister of the Encantress. The role of Loreili is played by actress Elena Satine.

More
29 Jan 2014 20:31 #35337 by clipfreak
I did some more digging and it's Veronica promotion material related to their superhero month theme.

Here's a picture of the woman I was talking of, you can see the veronica logo on her arm patch.

Attachment 1857964748.-4879e6913336aacfe5955b11347deced.jpg not found

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• clipfreak
More
29 Jan 2014 23:13 #35340 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Agents of shield
Well, then it's something they self-made. Any chance to see this promo somewhere ? She looks good...

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds