Amount

Supergirl Series?

03 Sep 2014 15:29 #37988 by castor
Supergirl Series? was created by castor
www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/03/dc-comic...-with-michael-green/

So aparently the producer of Gotham and other shows is working on a superigrl show... no casting no pilot yet but no real information..

I suspect where probably not going to see anything until the 2016 season or so-thats televisions scripted television show. If at all..but maybe.

the article itself suggest-we have quite a few superhero shows on TV now....That said they are doing well generally, and if they keep doing well...

castor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, grcmtl, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Sep 2014 15:47 #37993 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Series?
Fingers doubly crossed! Taking casting suggestions.......

ElF

More
03 Sep 2014 17:13 #37995 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Series?

lfan wrote: Fingers doubly crossed! Taking casting suggestions.......

ElF

;) Do we really need any one else than ...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
03 Sep 2014 17:29 #37996 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Series?

ElF

Molly Quinn who did the voice for her in an animated movie probabbly could play it fairly well.....

I suspect there going to go with an unkown here-but that may not be the worst thing in the world.

Curious though on direction-Will See- DC has devoloped two main ideas for Supergirls over the last 10 years or so-

1. Shes an angsty Teenager who plays a lot like a slightly less quippy Spiderman.

2. A wide eyed alien trying to get the handle of earth.

I donno which they are going to go with, Both do have potential. You see a lot of versions of 1. in american TV, so Two i think is at least more original-but either way could be a lot of fun.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Sep 2014 18:54 - 03 Sep 2014 18:55 #37997 by lfan
I love Molly Quinn but for some reason I cannot see her as anything but a ginger. My first choice would be AnnaSophia Robb who I think has both the "girl next door" look down along with the physicality that she showed in Soul Surfer. According to IMDB, she's 21 which puts her at a good "casting age" for a teenaged Supergirl, IMO.

www.seventeen.com/entertainment/features...b-pictures-interview

ElF
Last edit: 03 Sep 2014 18:55 by lfan.

More
03 Sep 2014 23:10 #38004 by kikass
Replied by kikass on topic Supergirl Series?
IMO, I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if this happens. DC just seem sooooooo far behind Marvel in terms of an overall vision/direction for their IPS that it's almost laughable.

I really hope to see this, but (and I know its not the best example) look at the proposed Wonder Woman show. Whatever happened to that? Why has that not been rekindled? (Yes I know she will feature in MOS2, but again, what direction/vision are they putting forward except for brooding/dark/angst?)

Just my 2 cents :/ Ofc would like to be wrong.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
03 Sep 2014 23:31 #38005 by lfan
I think DC/WB's strategy these days is "try and keep up with Marvel" which MIGHT include Marvel's willingness to integrate their TV and film properties and cross-pollinate. With their recent rash of TV properties (Arrow, Flash, Gotham), as well as the need to break the glass ceiling on female superheroes, perhaps this story/rumor has some teeth and is a viable possiblity.

As for the failed WW pilot, I think TPTB have "elevated" WW to motion picture status and have ditched their plans for TV right now which would explain their rather unexplained pull of "Amazon" off their developmental slate. I think they are placing some significant bets on Gal starring as WW in the BMvsSM movie along with her own movie in a rather quick followup.

Getting back to a proposed Supergirl series, I think it could work great at CW with their younger demographic and fill the "girl power" vacancy left from Buffy and Veronica Mars. Sure, Adrianne's WW Pilot had the same shot, but this is different IMO cause not only do they not seem to be rushing things (WW Pilot was fast-tracked at an unbelievable pace I thought from original concept to pilot filming), but they are not making the same mistake of having some writer (David Kelly....cough...cough) that doesn't know a comic superhero from a building superintendent! Michael Green is not only a fairly accomplished screenwriter (we'll forget the Green Lantern stuff and focus on Heroes and Kings) but is a seasoned comic book writer -- and one that wrote Supergirl for nearly a year. He understands the material, which -- at its heart -- I think was the downfall of the WW debacle

ElF

kikass wrote: IMO, I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if this happens. DC just seem sooooooo far behind Marvel in terms of an overall vision/direction for their IPS that it's almost laughable.

I really hope to see this, but (and I know its not the best example) look at the proposed Wonder Woman show. Whatever happened to that? Why has that not been rekindled? (Yes I know she will feature in MOS2, but again, what direction/vision are they putting forward except for brooding/dark/angst?)

Just my 2 cents :/ Ofc would like to be wrong.

Peace.

/K

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
03 Sep 2014 23:46 #38006 by Brad2
Replied by Brad2 on topic Supergirl Series?
They planning to actually feature Supergirl in red and blues (cape and shirt)? I ask because I love seeing Supergirl in her outfit. Also, there was a previous discussion about superheroes/superheroines often not being in costume (Clark not wearing the red and blues on Smallville, for instance), though I don't recall everything about that discussion. Not sure who I'd want to cast for Supergirl. :unsure:

More
04 Sep 2014 00:30 #38007 by lfan

Woodclaw wrote:

ElF

;) Do we really need any one else than ...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Much as I'd love it, I think she missed her time window.....

More
04 Sep 2014 01:48 #38008 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Series?
Clark didn't wear his colors in Smallville due to a lawsuit over Superman and Superboy. Here's some info on it after WB won.

To protect Smallville, they altered Superboy. He didn't have powers as a Baby (as Depicted in Action Comics #1), thus this "Superboy" wasn't derived from that. Therefore it (and the money it made) would be immune to lawsuits unless DC totally lost control of Superman, and even then, they'd claim that Smallville was derivative work based on original content, therefore should be partially protected (His powers were different, characters that weren't invented by S&S (Lana Lang) and used an altered history for Lex Luthor (he's older, and goes bald not due to Superboy.)

Him never adopting the Superman colors was another step along this path. They really only impact S&S by using the powerset, the Kent's names, and Lex Luthor. Kryptonite featured heavily in the show was from the radio show, and also didn't need S&S copyright. (Oddly flying would have HELPED them, since Superman didn't fly.)

At the same time, in the comics DC introduced a new Superboy, a clone of Superman, with different powers. And they had "Superboy Prime" show up as a villain.

Now you can say it was part of the inception of the show, to be "pre-superman" but the lawsuit was part of the need for that, to further insulate WB. They don't need that for Supergirl.

However, now that they've traced that path down, I suspect they might duplicate it again with Supergirl since it worked and the Entertainment industry is all about copying what they did before, and learning lessons, even the wrong ones, and repeating them as "this is the way the world works". Though I do think the no costumes rule helped Smallville ...though it got pained as the series rolled on. You need to focus on the characters NOT the powers to make things work. Smallville's problem is that Clark Kent was a d-bag, and Lex Luthor was far more charismatic and fun to watch, and you rooted for him.

Even in Arrow the use of the costume is ... reduced, and it's not much of a costume, it takes until the end of the second season before he even puts a mask on it. Maybe with the success of Flash (if it does), they'll get over the no costumes thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
04 Sep 2014 02:11 #38009 by TwiceOnThursdays
I think we need to tone the "keep up with Marvel" to "in live action movies/TV". And even that is recent (since about 2000 with the release of X-Men). DC's fault is that they didn't figure things out when Iron Man hit, they used "old school" hollywood thinking, not realizing that the game had changed. Guardians pretty much proved that how Hollywood thinks about movies is wrong (no one else would have released a block buster in August.)

And it's not like DC is totally stumbling around with Dark Knight, Man of Steel, Smallville, and Arrow. Marvel has just realized that the old rules are either wrong, or do not apply, and are taking advantage of it. DC is slow to figure out that they are skating to where the puck is now, and Marvel is skating to where the puck will be (Plus they've planned some pretty elaborate plays against opponents who only think one move ahead).

OTH, DC SPANKS marvel in animation. I'm not sure the best animation Marvel has put out in the last two decades takes the worst of DC. Hm. I didn't watch Teen Titans Go, as it was so bad. Might have to do the "toss the worst one out" to normalize. (And I'm not saying DC couldn't do better, just that Mavel is doing far worse.)

Seriously, it's not even funny: Batman the The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Adventures, Justice League (Unlimited), Teen Titans, Young Justice. Even Green Lantern is at least on part with Marvel's recent stuff, though I think the animated Avengers is better. Ultimate Spider-man vs Green Lantern, that's probably a draw. Even Agents of SMASH (and they have She-Hulk which is like an automatic +2).

And then there are all the animated movies, including one for Wonder Woman. Marvel can't hold a candle to any of it. And they've got a pretty wide variety -- though I wish they'd not canned Batgirl: Year One. Some are not awesome, but they average a pretty high quality.

Doctor Strange was pretty good (for yet another re-telling/change of the character). They had some good shows -- but most of them don't hold a candle to Justice League Unlimited or Young Justice.

Batman the Animated Adventures might be the best comic adaption. Even Frank Miller liked what they did. And it created Harley Quinn. ;-) I need to rewatch it.

More
04 Sep 2014 02:41 #38011 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Supergirl Series?
Pre-stages leading up to testing the Transformatrix

More
04 Sep 2014 03:00 #38013 by castor

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I think we need to tone the "keep up with Marvel" to "in live action movies/TV". And even that is recent (since about 2000 with the release of X-Men). DC's fault is that they didn't figure things out when Iron Man hit, they used "old school" hollywood thinking, not realizing that the game had changed. Guardians pretty much proved that how Hollywood thinks about movies is wrong (no one else would have released a block buster in August.)

And it's not like DC is totally stumbling around with Dark Knight, Man of Steel, Smallville, and Arrow. Marvel has just realized that the old rules are either wrong, or do not apply, and are taking advantage of it. DC is slow to figure out that they are skating to where the puck is now, and Marvel is skating to where the puck w

A couple of weeks ago there came a leaked email that said "No Jokes" in DC superhero movies. This is obviously exageration(the nolan Batman movies are pretty funny) . The logic is they want to diferentate it from the marvel movies-- Which isn't the worse impulse in the world.

the joke i would comment-is in a lot of ways Arrow in particular feels like A marvel show- humor, lots of pathos, lot of fan service. Flash from what it looks the same. Gotham maybe a little less, but well will see.

I think Wonder Womans big fault-was well it did try for humor but it was the wrong kind-it felt in a ways man of steel done but a more literate writer but to less effect. A show like this should be fun. Agents of Shields Flaw is it tries for it but more often then not fails.

The animated stuff does this well- BTAS Justice lauge, Teen Titatans -but yeah it is fun, often funny stuff.

How does this tie into supergirl?

Well there is something that is about Supergirl-of all Dcs major female characters-her Wonder woman, Batgirl etc- She is in someways the character that lends itself most to humor, or at least dry humor(Well Harley Quinn who is fast becoming DCs most popular character[seriously her monthly sales numbers are more or less the best for any indivdual characters book- but shes going to take a while].

But Kara She is superpowered...... but godd amit if she can't catch a break-and when the character is done well she gives off the vibe of knowing that.

This is why i mentioned Molly Quinn. Shes good at that. Your right the hair, and i realize a lot of the identity is tied into hair color with female characters-but ahh, will see. Don't really see Robb could do it physically but don't really see her do self deprecating well-but could be wrong. .

But lets see-the special effects are going to be tricky on a TV budget-possible though. Yet i do think for some of that reason Supergirl would be fun and enjoyable on TV.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Sep 2014 08:16 #38014 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Series?

lfan wrote: Much as I'd love it, I think she missed her time window.....

True to a point. I think that a lot depends on what kind of Supergirl are they trying to create here. If they're trying to go for the classic teenage alien (trying to hit on the Buffy demographic) then I agree but -- considering that we don't know how this series is going to tie in with other existing material -- they might decide to age her a bit and add some elements on Power Girl in the overall characterization.

More
04 Sep 2014 10:37 #38015 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Series?
I suspect they'll go down the "Buffy" path and make her young and unsure of herself at first, an alien who has landed among us while longing for her lost life on Krypton while figuring out her new abilities. And what to do with them. That's her classic origin and she's not such a popular character with general audiences that they could tell a more nuanced story about her life. So we get teenage angst and homesickness along with the situational humor of her not understanding some pretty basic things about life on Earth. Some situational comedy perhaps as she and the people around her try to figure it out.

Hopefully they could age her over several seasons until they could tell the more interesting story (to me) of her life on Earth when she's in her twenties. She'd have a fully developed life as Linda Danvers, complete with job, boyfriends and many friends. Most (or all) of them ignorant of her true origin, which complicates her responsibilities as Supergirl. It would be tempting to have her live in the Clark Kent, Lois Lane Metropolis world, but I would like to see her with a completely unique life, much as the comics tried to portray (most of the time). Living in SF perhaps.

As far as actresses, I'd like to see an unknown play her. I recall how much Dark Angel benefitted from a young and largely unknown Jessica Alba. I'm sure there are plenty of young, blonde and pretty ingenues who have some acting ability. Expectations will be low at first, so a good actress could hit it out of the park.

Either that, or do the tie in with MOS and have her reawaken after being frozen in the ice for thousands of years, her existence predating Kal's by that much time (as shown in a comic that was circulated just before MOS came out). A survivor of the failed expeditions to seed Kryptonians across the universe who awakens to find herself on modern day Earth. She'd be older in this case, twenties and a trained space explorer. She's on Earth, but she isn't bound to it like Kal/Clark. And she has the culture shock of going from Krypton of the ancient past to Earth today. Those stories would be a LOT more interesting to me than the usual teenage origin story. And this new spin on an origin story has already been set up in MOS (the missing occupant of the hibernation pods on the ship they found) and could be reinforced in some references to the crashed ship in BvS.

But not sure if the creators of a TV series would have access to MOS or BvS (Dawn of Justice) tie-ins, from a legal perspective. But that's the Kara/Linda that I want to see. A hot former Kryptonian astronaut who is more than willing and capable of kicking ass (as shown in the comic -- a bit of a hot head) who was on a mission, that takes her dangerously close to Zod's failed plan to repopulate Earth with Kryptonians.

Remember... if she'd succeeded in her initial mission, the primitive humans of that day (10K years ago) would never have become the humans of today. Not with Kryptonian overlords living on Earth. She was trained to seed her people here on Earth, to create a New Krypton. Now that has failed, and Krypton is no more, what would she decide is her new mission?

Could be some great and original stories here.

Woodclaw wrote:

lfan wrote: Much as I'd love it, I think she missed her time window.....

True to a point. I think that a lot depends on what kind of Supergirl are they trying to create here. If they're trying to go for the classic teenage alien (trying to hit on the Buffy demographic) then I agree but -- considering that we don't know how this series is going to tie in with other existing material -- they might decide to age her a bit and add some elements on Power Girl in the overall characterization.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Sep 2014 19:51 #38018 by lfan
Apparently a little more than speculation:

www.ksitetv.com/supergirl/e-confirms-pos...girl-tv-series/37969

And, as the article states, surprising that CW turned it down at first pass. Hopefully, another network will placate our audience and show some interest.....

ElF

More
04 Sep 2014 23:09 #38023 by TwiceOnThursdays

castor wrote:
A couple of weeks ago there came a leaked email that said "No Jokes" in DC superhero movies. This is obviously exageration(the nolan Batman movies are pretty funny) . The logic is they want to diferentate it from the marvel movies-- Which isn't the worse impulse in the world.

the joke i would comment-is in a lot of ways Arrow in particular feels like A marvel show- humor, lots of pathos, lot of fan service. Flash from what it looks the same. Gotham maybe a little less, but well will see.

Trying to be different than your competition can be a good strategy. But humor works well, and has worked well in the best of this medium. Seems silly (and a bit souless) to not use it. And a path to overall ruin.

castor wrote:
Well there is something that is about Supergirl-of all Dcs major female characters-her Wonder woman, Batgirl etc- She is in someways the character that lends itself most to humor, or at least dry humor(Well Harley Quinn who is fast becoming DCs most popular character[seriously her monthly sales numbers are more or less the best for any indivdual characters book- but shes going to take a while].

But Kara She is superpowered...... but godd amit if she can't catch a break-and when the character is done well she gives off the vibe of knowing that.

This is why i mentioned Molly Quinn. Shes good at that. Your right the hair, and i realize a lot of the identity is tied into hair color with female characters-but ahh, will see. Don't really see Robb could do it physically but don't really see her do self deprecating well-but could be wrong. .

A good thing to remember about Harley Quinn is that she was produced from Batman the Animated Adventures. A Batman that was human, had flaws, and a lot of humor. AND a show that wasn't afraid to mix up the mythos, blend it all together and make something new and interesting. Really ANYONE thinking of adapting comics should use that as a case study of "Things to keep in mind".

So making a Supergirl that was funny, not Adam West Batman funny, but Firefly/Buffy funny (or maybe Rockford Files or Leverage Funny, if you wanted a non-Whedon example). Where the humor is baked into the show by people being people, and they give themselves freedom to write a serious show, that utilizes humor because life has that as an element. NOT by bad writing or relying upon absurd sitcom humor. Even the best sitcoms usually rely upon absurdity rather than good writing (there isn't anything wrong with that, but it's hard to sustain and can't be used well in drama). The difference between Modern Family (good writing, with some absurdity tossed in) and Big Bang Theory (which occasionally rises to actually using good writing, but usually doesn't bother because a cliche will get them a laugh).

More
04 Sep 2014 23:50 #38024 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Supergirl Series?
Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Mike gGreen is not involved and that's its Arrow and Flash producer Greg Berlanti overseeing the project.

More
04 Sep 2014 23:56 #38025 by AJF
Ali Adler of Chuck fame,is in charge of developing it. The article also says the project has not been shopped to the networks yet as previously reported, but will be shopped in few weeks. This is pilot pitch season.

Its said that the project has been in development for some time and is a new take on the character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
05 Sep 2014 00:00 #38026 by lfan

AJF wrote: Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Mike gGreen is not involved and that's its Arrow and Flash producer Greg Berlanti overseeing the project.

Well, at least it's someone familiar with the genre.....I guess......

ElF

More
05 Sep 2014 00:16 #38027 by lfan
Here is the Deadline article for anyone interested:

deadline.com/2014/09/supergirl-tv-series...mics-829364/#respond

ElF

More
05 Sep 2014 01:36 #38031 by AJF
Hollywood Reporter has picked up the story, too. It's been reported that the show will not be called Supergirl and it still has no real name.

More
05 Sep 2014 01:42 #38032 by AJF
The project will be put up fro bid to the major networks. Last year, they did the same with Gotham, which went to Fox. Bidding should be intense. Which ever network wins it, will most likely get picked it up for series.

I don't think the CW will get it. The can't outbid the likes of Fox or NBC. CW never bids for shows anyway.

More
05 Sep 2014 02:04 #38034 by castor

AJF wrote: The project will be put up fro bid to the major networks. Last year, they did the same with Gotham, which went to Fox. Bidding should be intense. Which ever network wins it, will most likely get picked it up for series.

I don't think the CW will get it. The can't outbid the likes of Fox or NBC. CW never bids for shows anyway.

Well the CW is owned by Warner Brothers which owns DC-it technically probabbly doesn't have to bid. It also showing Arrow and The Flash, so probabbly doesn't need a new Superhero show.

But yeah one of the other networks maybe a good fit for it-even Cable. Actually it may do better on a cable show with a shorter season-More time for special effects. Will see-either way i suspect someones going to buy this for at least a pilot and one way or another where going to see something. And hope its good.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Sep 2014 03:14 #38035 by castor
and apro of nothing its now(thursday at 7:00 Pacific) its the top trending story on Facebook.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds