Amount

several actresses reading for Jesscia Jones lead

19 Nov 2014 21:10 #39068 by AJF
Deadline Hollywood has list of actreses reading for the lead role in Marvels upcoming Jessica Jones Netflix series.
They include Alexandra Daddario , Krysten Ritter and Teresa Palmer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, castor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AJF
  • AJF's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2014 21:33 #39069 by lfan
Ha! 'Scooped' me by 22 minutes, AJF! Thanks, buddy!

ElF

More
20 Nov 2014 14:45 #39070 by lfan

AJF wrote: Deadline Hollywood has list of actreses reading for the lead role in Marvels upcoming Jessica Jones Netflix series.
They include Alexandra Daddario , Krysten Ritter and Teresa Palmer.

While all I think are good matches for Jessica physically, I think Krysten Ritter would hit it out of the ballpark. Her character on Breaking Bad was snarky, dark, and disturbed -- almost a non-superpowered version of Jessica Jones. she'd get my vote!

ElF

More
20 Nov 2014 14:56 #39071 by AJF
Former Arrow guest star Jessica De Gou has hasted as well for the lead, too.
Deadline Hollywood has updated its first report saying that a fifth actress has read for the role as well.
Her name is Marin Ireland.

• AJF
  • AJF's Avatar Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2014 15:35 #39073 by castor
I Vote for Teressa Palmer: Shes been in a lot of bad to mediocre movies like I am number 4 and Soccers Aprentice, but shes usually the best thing in them. Shes likable, good with action, and great at looking at something in a way that says "huh??", which i associate with Jones. She would be good in a marvel movie, i hope just not playing someones girlfriend which she often does.

That said your not wrong about Krysten Ritter, and all of the actresses could bepretty good.

More
20 Nov 2014 16:41 #39075 by palpatine
Replied by palpatine on topic several actresses reading for Jesscia Jones lead
Sorry but i'm ignorent who is Jessica Jones?

More
20 Nov 2014 22:14 #39076 by castor
Jessica Jones is the star of Alias, a marvel comic from a couple of years ago. The basic idea is shes a former, not particularly sucesfull Superheroine who got out of the game to become a Private Detective-in cases that well often play somewhere in between them.

Most of her stories are less about her punching people then her outsmarting and discovering the culprit. It plays a bit like an old Sam Spade story with her hardboiled angles. This was always intended as a mature title.

As a superhero (jewel) she Could fly(kind of) was super strong and invulnerable...ish. Her powers where a touch a parody of the classic superman story- as stated in her modern stories they tend to be played "As well thats kind of stupid"- How they are going to handle them...i donno. It would be in character for her to appear in costume a couple of seconds if at all, and if they took out the powers all together, i would be suprised, but not shocked.

Honestly don't know what they are going to do with it. I was never a giant fan, though i understand how people are. I suspect this is going to be pitched a bit more as a single focus version of Agents of Shield with a more street level feel. And agents is a show that always left me a little cold. But at the same token if they get a good actress, ehh it could be somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache

More
21 Nov 2014 10:25 #39077 by Woodclaw

castor wrote: Jessica Jones is the star of Alias, a marvel comic from a couple of years ago. The basic idea is shes a former, not particularly sucesfull Superheroine who got out of the game to become a Private Detective-in cases that well often play somewhere in between them.

Most of her stories are less about her punching people then her outsmarting and discovering the culprit. It plays a bit like an old Sam Spade story with her hardboiled angles. This was always intended as a mature title.

As a superhero (jewel) she Could fly(kind of) was super strong and invulnerable...ish. Her powers where a touch a parody of the classic superman story- as stated in her modern stories they tend to be played "As well thats kind of stupid"- How they are going to handle them...i donno. It would be in character for her to appear in costume a couple of seconds if at all, and if they took out the powers all together, i would be suprised, but not shocked.

Honestly don't know what they are going to do with it. I was never a giant fan, though i understand how people are. I suspect this is going to be pitched a bit more as a single focus version of Agents of Shield with a more street level feel. And agents is a show that always left me a little cold. But at the same token if they get a good actress, ehh it could be somewhere.

It's worth considering that Alias was part of the MAX imprint, which was a secondary line where author were given free reign to write more "adult" stories, as such Jessica wasn't part of the official Marvel canon at first, until the sales and popularity of the character convinced the execs to retcon her into the mainstream continuity. I have to admit that of all the characters they retconned into continuity from those seocndary lines she's one of the best (Sentry and Marvel Boy are far worst both as characterization and damage to the main storylines).

More
21 Nov 2014 11:18 #39078 by palpatine
Replied by palpatine on topic several actresses reading for Jesscia Jones lead
If i understand well( maybe i wrong) Jessica Jones is the Marvel rival of the Supergirl DC for futur TV séries?

More
21 Nov 2014 14:59 #39079 by castor

palpatine wrote: If i understand well( maybe i wrong) Jessica Jones is the Marvel rival of the Supergirl DC for futur TV séries?

I suspect that the shows probabbly going to be more the like the Sony Devoloped "Powers" then anything else in tone and content(though probabbly a touch less profanity). Like i said-Her Superpower angle is fairly small, but who knows.

(Sentry and Marvel Boy are far worst both as characterization and damage to the main storylines).

I donno. People online have bitched a lot about the Marvel Cinematic Universe seeming to last forever-but if this goes on like say 2027, i think it would be fun to Do a Sentry Movie or something. Its kind of a fun Deconstruction of Superman. I could see it kind of working well in movie series that seems obsessed with contunity.

More
21 Nov 2014 18:47 #39081 by Woodclaw

castor wrote:

(Sentry and Marvel Boy are far worst both as characterization and damage to the main storylines).

I donno. People online have bitched a lot about the Marvel Cinematic Universe seeming to last forever-but if this goes on like say 2027, i think it would be fun to Do a Sentry Movie or something. Its kind of a fun Deconstruction of Superman. I could see it kind of working well in movie series that seems obsessed with contunity.

To be honest I completly disagree with you, deconstructing Superman has been done ab nausem -- and after Alan Moore did that on the big blue himself wasn't funny anymore -- plus Sentry is one of the least convincing deconstructions done, mostly because Robert Reynolds isn't hero material to begin with. The one thing that makes a superhero isn't power, but rather personality, when you look at most heroes you get the impression that putting on the costume was a way of doing things, but they would have fought the good fight anyway. Not Sentry, the impresison I got from him is of an unstable time bomb with a whinny personality and nothing that marks him as hero material in my eyes.

More
21 Nov 2014 19:07 #39082 by castor

Woodclaw wrote:

castor wrote:

To be honest I completly disagree with you, deconstructing Superman has been done ab nausem -- and after Alan Moore did that on the big blue himself wasn't funny anymore -- plus Sentry is one of the least convincing deconstructions done, mostly because Robert Reynolds isn't hero material to begin with. The one thing that makes a superhero isn't power, but rather personality, when you look at most heroes you get the impression that putting on the costume was a way of doing things, but they would have fought the good fight anyway. Not Sentry, the impresison I got from him is of an unstable time bomb with a whinny personality and nothing that marks him as hero material in my eyes.

Thats kind of what i like about the character. As a regular character in a series-No. But a movie character? Maybe. I am not the biggest fan of the Marvel Style, but he is a great idea of it-the Godlike being who only gradually revels the full extent of his powers- it goes to the heart of The Cosmic touching the everyday that makes marvel Comics. Yes hes a bit of a detached Winny Ashole-but that goes to his heart of his character-he isn't really a hero. Hes just playing one--becuse well thats the fantasy ain't it? and I do think he probably will have the best third act revel of any marvel movie if they do it right.

Its a character that plays with movie contunity, the concept of heroism and fame, of how one relates to humanity and the Divine. I could see it being a great movie. but i donno. most of my stories are Deconstructions of superheros so perhaps i am biased.

Its probabbly not going to happen....

More
22 Nov 2014 01:26 #39083 by castor
I can also say Alias, i hope they introduce the Purple Man Jones Arch nemesis/ depending on what story you read Father.

Hes on of my favorite Marvel Villians- a fun mixture of intresting look, fun power and very pleasent nice demeanor. There is something to a guy who really is just very nice to you up to and sometimes after trying to kill you.

More
22 Nov 2014 02:43 #39084 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic several actresses reading for Jesscia Jones lead

castor wrote:

Woodclaw wrote:

castor wrote:

Thats kind of what i like about the character. As a regular character in a series-No. But a movie character? Maybe. I am not the biggest fan of the Marvel Style, but he is a great idea of it-the Godlike being who only gradually revels the full extent of his powers- it goes to the heart of The Cosmic touching the everyday that makes marvel Comics. Yes hes a bit of a detached Winny Ashole-but that goes to his heart of his character-he isn't really a hero. Hes just playing one--becuse well thats the fantasy ain't it? and I do think he probably will have the best third act revel of any marvel movie if they do it right.

Its a character that plays with movie contunity, the concept of heroism and fame, of how one relates to humanity and the Divine. I could see it being a great movie. but i donno. most of my stories are Deconstructions of superheros so perhaps i am biased.

Its probabbly not going to happen....

I absolutely can't stand Sentry. If he'd been used as a brief thing, an allegory on Superman/heroism/Super-heroes, told in the Marvel universe, I'd have found Sentry interesting and illuminating. But they kept using him, and kept him around, and doubled down on him. Even his insanity was initially interesting, but wore out quickly.

To be honest, part of it is how retcon-mad Marvel went over him. They reverse engineered him into Marvel's history, forcing him all over. And then kept at it. Again. And again.

He is by design, and character that does not fit in the Marvel Universe -- so he's like an irritant that doesn't fit. Like I said, as something that would have been over in six months (and kept out of most of the marvel mainstream titles), Sentry would have been a great story/character. Used as he was, ug. Never want to see him again. (On my scale, he's not "One More Day" bad, but he's up there.)

I don't think I was ever happy a Character died, and was no longer around, until they killed Sentry.

And then they brought him back from the dead recently. *sigh*. It's like inverse Cassandra Cain/Stephanie Brown. Fans CLAMOR for DC to bring them back, and it just seems to make DC resist even harder. Sentry, I don't know of anyone who really likes him, but Marvel can't help bringing him back. Ug.

He WOULD work really well as a one-movie kind of thing. But he's a horrible virus that once let out, it seems that the master's at Marvel can't resist and he'll infect everything. One good movie that would then ruin all the other movies? I think i'll pass. ;-)

More
22 Nov 2014 06:30 #39085 by fats

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Nov 2014 12:57 #39088 by castor
Sorry.

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
23 Nov 2014 07:48 #39096 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic several actresses reading for Jesscia Jones lead
This made me laugh. On point, fits the topic, and totally not what everyone was looking for. ;-)

I too hope they keep the Purple Man stuff in, though it's pretty Dark.

There are some powers that it would be worthless for me to have -- and mind control (of whatever sort) would be one. Not only would I be morally opposed to ever using it, the Purple Man Segment of Jones' story does a pretty good job of describing how totally boring it would be if everyone did what you told them to do. (As well as showing the soul rending horror of being subject to his power.)

But as a result, there are few characters in the Marvel Universe that are as enjoyable to see punched out as the Purple Man.

More
05 Dec 2014 03:14 #39295 by lfan

More
05 Dec 2014 06:19 #39297 by crazyfck
I just love this girl

This image is hidden for guests.

More
05 Dec 2014 20:57 #39300 by castor
Curious how this plays out. Shes the kind of actress i couldn't quite imagining punching someone. She wouldn't need to.

But that said. Were getting Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Etc. Rytter i think would be a good actor more for an Iron Man, relies on her wits type. As i have said before the character really isn't a girl power mega Supergirl of death anyway-so if we get a kind of funny vaguely crime actiony TV show....could be kind of fun.

More
06 Dec 2014 00:20 #39301 by jnw550
I've never seen her in a role; but, based on looks alone, no thank you. However, when I found out Heath Ledger would be playing the Joker I never imagined that his version would be my definitive Joker.

More
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds