Amount

Agent Carter

29 Jan 2015 21:57 #40105 by Woodclaw
Agent Carter was created by Woodclaw
I haven't watched a single episode of the show so far, but this article make some really good point on the subject of how this show depicts the main character.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Jan 2015 23:34 #40109 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Agent Carter

Woodclaw wrote: I haven't watched a single episode of the show so far, but this article make some really good point on the subject of how this show depicts the main character.

It's a good show, and the latest episode (the 4th) raised the possibility of an adversarial, low-level superwoman.

- GeekSeven

More
30 Jan 2015 15:46 #40133 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Agent Carter
I don't think she's actually super, per se. more likely highly trained and athletic, like Peggy, and Black Widow in the future. When I saw her take that guy down, I marked her in my head as a "ninja assassin"

More
30 Jan 2015 17:55 #40136 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Agent Carter

jumperprime wrote: I don't think she's actually super, per se. more likely highly trained and athletic, like Peggy, and Black Widow in the future. When I saw her take that guy down, I marked her in my head as a "ninja assassin"

The point here isn't about power is about how the character is portrayed. As the article notes, even today is pretty rare to see an show with a solid female lead that doesn't fall into one of the many pits of the genre: oversexualizing, bitching & catfighting, needless introspection and so on.
While Peggy Carter might not have any superpower, she certainly has the kind of attitude I like to associate with the superpower genre and the show is doing a good job at showcasing it.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Jan 2015 00:13 #40152 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Agent Carter
You hit the nail on it.

Carter is in many ways a show about Feminism in its most traditional stand point, and it works for it. Its a superhero show which does lead to some simplicity(as compared to say Madmen which has a strong feminist undertones and plays it bit more subtle). Very few people in the modern world i think will publically agree with the men in her world which tames it a bit. But its an approach.

Its a show that you can watch for "maybe superpowered ninja" and "Empowered female protagonist"....or well if your a woman who is interesting to watch.

Which i think thinks goes to a larger point about the stuff on here.

I think a lot of us right and make stuff with the assumption that "Where a group of men who like strong women, and that we are the only ones..a small minority", But well i think if this or anything in the mainstream has to have a certain extent goes to the female audience.

Becuse it is out there. I there there are plenty of people who want to make Agent Carter a hit, as well as Supergirl Et all.

But to use the example the comes to mind about the Maiden Network: i think it would have a large audience if they didn't feature Lingerie Wrestling then if they did.

But There is a way you can do women wrestling and attract a female audience-i know a lot of women who do go very much into that despite the fact that i never have. You can make it about empowerment, you can make it about Athleticism and the thrill of competition. UFC if nothing else has recently found its biggest success in that-And they are not above showing there fighters as women, as sexual beings who look good in Bathing suits. But you don't focus to much on wearing Silk and pasties.

Its finding a balance thats the key.

More
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds