Amount

Powers -- Episode 1

10 Mar 2015 15:39 #40895 by lfan
Powers -- Episode 1 was created by lfan
Posted by Sony. Thanks to AJF for heads up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Mar 2015 16:20 #40897 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Powers -- Episode 1
not available in the UK

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Mar 2015 16:56 #40899 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Powers -- Episode 1
Powers in filmed on location in Atlanta, GA. by the way.

More
10 Mar 2015 18:05 #40900 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Powers -- Episode 1
Will say this(as its now on topic). Sharlito Coopley. For a guy who more or less gave up acting for 20 years to work behind the scenes-is really turning into a credible actor and star. He was good in district 9 but i thought it was lightening in the bottle as an everyman way out of his leage -but wow hes getting better an better and in this is really a good Competent Hero.

More
10 Mar 2015 21:01 - 10 Mar 2015 21:04 #40901 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Powers -- Episode 1

fats wrote: not available in the UK

fats

Or... Somewhat unsurprisingly...Australia

And they wonder why Aussies pirate so much stuff. LOL.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2015 21:04 by Dru1076.

More
10 Mar 2015 21:39 #40902 by Skye
Replied by Skye on topic Powers -- Episode 1
And not in Germany either.

More
11 Mar 2015 14:59 #40911 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Powers -- Episode 1
Looks pretty interesting. I would watch it if it was readily available.

More
18 Mar 2015 23:16 - 18 Mar 2015 23:16 #41037 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Powers -- Episode 1
I really liked it. Although it comes across as low-budget at times, the episode makes up for it with excellent casting. It looks like the changes they made to the plot and back story of the comic have worked out well.

I look forward to finding the rest of the series somewhere. as I don't have a PS4.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2015 23:16 by Agent00Soul.

More
19 Mar 2015 15:58 #41048 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Powers -- Episode 1
I've seen the first 4 episodes thus far. You can purchase the whole season online and watch it on a computer without a Playstation. I like it so far and love some of the characters, most notably Christian and Calista. No ubergirl action to report thus far, but Retro Girl is becoming more prominent with her screentime as the story continues. Without giving any of the story away, I anticipate she'll be a major player in the next episode.....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Mar 2015 16:01 #41160 by lfan
Up to episode 5 now......

Overall, a little disappointing in terms of both production values and ubergirl action. Retro Girl figures more prominently, as suspected, in Episode 5, but it's relatively girl-fu type stuff. As a whole, the plot line and writing is pretty good as well as the dialog, but some of the FX though are almost laughable -- kind of like a Pinoy TV show or an independent slasher film -- in my opinion. Five more episode to go this season.....we'll see if it gets better.

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Mar 2015 17:00 - 27 Mar 2015 17:06 #41162 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Powers -- Episode 1
I'll compare it to IZombie(which admitidely has fewer episodes so its not entirely fair).

Both are fundementally Cop Shows, and i suspect they have similar budgets(actually since they got kinda of a movie star for the lead in Powers it maybe higher). There diffrent kinda of cop shows-IZombie is kind of A murder of a week Procedural, Powers is more of a Gritty season focused epic, but both take the format and dust it with elements of comicbooks uberness.

However IZombie does most of its work throughpractical effects, makeup and stunts. There isn't really much CGI at all in the show. Becuse it has very little CGI it has very little bad CGI. Its hardly perfect, and i think with a more action focused director it could be done better-but its there. A lot of it(perhaps given its network status) is by implication, which are kinda working for it.

Powers-well it has practical effects to and stunts-but yeah it goes for the CGI. You can do CGI on a budget you can do impressive stuff actually-but its tricky. It helps if the CGI is very sperate from the actor(and they don't interact with it),If you lock the camera down, if its dark, and well if you don't have the biggest budget you give it time. And for Powers.....welll.......

(it should be noted: You can go to Office Depot and buy CGI software more powerful then what was used on Jurassic Park)

It also has a gritty tone. When you look at something Like Dr. Who- the special effects aren't always great either-but thats well yeah still kind of a light comedy which helps. Powers seems to take place in world that is superfically like a pinoy world as you put it-where just seeing it touch the gritty side of it. In that regard it almost wants to seem silly-but well..its not entirely successful at it.

The other benefit to practical effects is that its easy to tell when it wrong( modern cameras can playback pretty quickly). On Sets with CGI you have a supervivor who can kind of guess how the plates(the stuff with actors) is going to look mixed with CGI. There are things that work, things you can fix with a budget, and things you simply can't. Not to impune anyone, but it also feels perhaps the supervisor didn't do a greatest job here, or let the director and DP move on when he maybe shouldn't

Powers is a more ambitious show then IZombie i think in creating a world-but yeah its not as scusefull at all.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 17:06 by castor.

More
04 Apr 2015 04:10 - 04 Apr 2015 04:11 #41315 by Agent00Soul

lfan wrote: IYou can purchase the whole season online and watch it on a computer without a Playstation.

Can someone tell me how to do this please? I'm not seeing it on the official website.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2015 04:11 by Agent00Soul.

More
04 Apr 2015 14:12 #41322 by lfan

Agent00Soul wrote:

lfan wrote: IYou can purchase the whole season online and watch it on a computer without a Playstation.

Can someone tell me how to do this please? I'm not seeing it on the official website.

Try here:

store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/playstati...TORE-MSF77008-POWERS

You'll need (I think) to signup for a PS account online (its free). I did that first and then bought the first season at the link above. Good luck!

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Apr 2015 07:07 #41333 by Agent00Soul

lfan wrote:

Agent00Soul wrote:

Try here:

store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/playstati...TORE-MSF77008-POWERS

You'll need (I think) to signup for a PS account online (its free). I did that first and then bought the first season at the link above. Good luck!

ElF

That worked - thanks! I really am enjoying the show. The casting/rewrite works and I agree with the comment that the low budget actually makes it cool in a Doctor Who or Pinoy way
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
28 Apr 2015 17:38 #41694 by lfan
Climax in the show today with the Season 1 finale. While they have been interestingly kinda "random" on what content from the books is used or not, a definite plot point emerged in this episode and it wrapped up the first season nicely:

Warning: Spoiler!

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 May 2015 18:00 #41863 by Agent00Soul

lfan wrote: Climax in the show today with the Season 1 finale. While they have been interestingly kinda "random" on what content from the books is used or not, a definite plot point emerged in this episode and it wrapped up the first season nicely

I totally agree. There was enough deviation from the comic to keep the overall show full of surprises to a fan of the book like me, but even with those I could predict what would be coming in the last episode by the time we were 75% through the season.

Nonetheless, it was well-handled, I am a fan, and I hope they make a season 2.

More
08 May 2015 21:00 #41866 by lfan

Agent00Soul wrote: Nonetheless, it was well-handled, I am a fan, and I hope they make a season 2.

It was renewed for a second season but lost in the shuffle cause the Supergirl pickup dominated the tv news that day. They did, however, lose their Season 1 showrunner (Charlie Huston) due to "creative differences". Can't wait to see what they do with Callista next season.....

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 May 2015 22:21 #41867 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Powers -- Episode 1
I haven't heard much about any females in the show with superpowers. Are they any? Do they have any screen time? Are they sexy?

• Sarge395
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
09 May 2015 01:03 - 09 May 2015 20:48 #41870 by Agent00Soul

Sarge395 wrote: I haven't heard much about any females in the show with superpowers. Are they any? Do they have any screen time? Are they sexy?

Two of the female leads are supers. They have their flaws as human beings but are very much the good guys:

Retro Girl - the most powerful of all; kind of the Superman of the Powers universe. She's a sophisticated, marketing savvy middle aged women (Michelle Forbes) who has been top superhero since she was a teenager. She has the usual "flying brick" abilities.

Zora - the new kid on the block, Zora (Logan Browning) turns light into a repellant force that allows it to be used as a weapon or allow her to fly. She's probably about 19 I'm guessing.

There are more too, but then we would be in spoiler territory. Not a lot of superhero battles in the series, but the big ones that do happen feature either one or both of these women using their powers on a baddie.

The outfits of all the superheroines on the show are flattering and sexy, but are more practical and chaste than a lot of stuff we see in comics.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 09 May 2015 20:48 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds