Amount

Stichers

30 May 2015 03:26 #42471 by castor
Stichers was created by castor
Wanted to share this.

This is the new ABC family Science fiction Show Stichers. Its about a Young Woman with mental powers who discovers that she can enter dead peoples memories to explore there last minutes on earth through a computer program devoloped a goverment.

ABC family has released the first episode on youtube.

....which in my opinion isn't good. Emma Ista as the lead is pretty, and i get whats shes going for t shes an instantly unlikable character, which is kinda of a turnoff. Shes playing the haughty super compedent and intelgent hacker, always on edge, but theres never any humanity to soften it. At best it explains it. This is inteligence without emotion and its not really something to root for even in an antihero sence. You don't like to have to like main characters... t but she never seems to connect to anyone, considering her power leaves her a ghost in other people reality.

The effects are kind of bad which i think is in part a style choice as i think they are intending to create a sence that this isn't perfect reality. But when they go for them they go for them- there is a sence of a fractured cold bueaty to its world its create and her ability to control it and be controlled- but well since there is never a sence of the humanity on the other end it kind of fails. There is visual sence of style here no doubt.

the writing is going for clever and there are momments it sucseeds at that. This is inelgent and i like how the show despite being for ABC family never feels kiddie. However its at time a little to clever for its own good creating a world that is perhaps to cold and to distant to much get into. It has the classic problem when its trying for funny it just falls flat.

a couple of the other performances are fine though some are either very under devoloped or fine. Some such as the guy who works at the hacker program loveintrest starts off bad, but as the episode devolops does a better job at connecting to the material-hes equally "smart" but by the end he looks like he cares-and thats kind of what you need.

Beyond that . I kind of like how they create a character without an obvious social networkthere are intresting ideas here but the cliches are always shooting in shows like this when the hero has incredible..but of course imperfect knoweldge-which is a cliche now, but something

But without a central character you can really root for, there isn't much an actual thing to root on for me.

It struck me that this show reminds me a lot of IZombie- an emotionally stunted intelligent young woman trying to make sence of her life and the weirdburden power gives here.. But while think iZombie is my favorite show of the season i don't think i am going to stick with this.

would recomend watching the first full minute of the pilot. if you like it ehh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 May 2015 03:54 #42472 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Stichers
Keep in mind, star Emma Ishta is an Aussie model turned actress with only about 3 prior acting credits. Her costar, Alison Scagliotti, has far more acting credits, but is just player the role of the best friend.
It's pretty clear who the better actress is, but hey, Ishta is more pretty than Scagliotti and will work for less money and that's all that matters in Hollywood, right?

More
30 May 2015 04:22 #42473 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Stichers

AJF wrote: Keep in mind, star Emma Ishta is an Aussie model turned actress with only about 3 prior acting credits. Her costar, Alison Scagliotti, has far more acting credits, but is just player the role of the best friend.
It's pretty clear who the better actress is, but hey, Ishta is more pretty than Scagliotti and will work for less money and that's all that matters in Hollywood, right?

I will say this: Don't think ishta inherently the problem here. I Don't think Scagilotti is all that much better, i like what they do what the character more then her performance. i think they want her to be the bones to her spock but she never has really the power as an actress to draw focus from her. There bickering scenes just seem shrill.

Ishta seems capable...just well the role doen't work. It fails to connect on any rational level, and as such just feels flawed. you could say its wooden-but the fact that its meant to be wooden hurt it. Yeah a lot of this is Spock, and i wonder what nimoy would have done with it, but Spock at least worked best when he was at the side, and you could sence his joy at being an ashole. Ishta never really does. .

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds