Amount

Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!

21 Jun 2015 21:18 #42863 by Markiehoe
Hawkgirl TV show?!!!! was created by Markiehoe
Right after Legends of Tomorrow wraps the CW may dive into a stand alone Hawkgirl show.

comicbook.com/2015/06/21/hawkgirl-tv-ser...edly-in-development/
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Jun 2015 22:07 #42864 by martinblasick
Replied by martinblasick on topic Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!
The DC Universe will soon be THE universe ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe

More
22 Jun 2015 15:48 - 22 Jun 2015 15:51 #42875 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!
Seems a touch early ...From the trailer from a month ago, one of my big thoughts was "Well the special effects for Hawgirl are clearly not ready yet", and that she herself kind of felt disapeared into the team.

But that said, i haven't seen anything other then the trailer, and if shes really that good this could be cool. the idea of the characters as a woman who wants to be peaceful normal life but can turn into part bird could really fit into a neat show.

i think this really depend on how Legends does as show(which i didn't realize was planned as a short term project) and shee in it but well lets see.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 15:51 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
22 Jun 2015 19:57 #42882 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!

castor wrote: Seems a touch early ...From the trailer from a month ago, one of my big thoughts was "Well the special effects for Hawgirl are clearly not ready yet", and that she herself kind of felt disapeared into the team.

But that said, i haven't seen anything other then the trailer, and if shes really that good this could be cool. the idea of the characters as a woman who wants to be peaceful normal life but can turn into part bird could really fit into a neat show.

i think this really depend on how Legends does as show(which i didn't realize was planned as a short term project) and shee in it but well lets see.

I'm going to take it as a given that this wouldn't be bandied about unless the people paying for this like what they're seeing in Legends of Tomorrow, and then talk about it, and then that makes the leaks. That makes me want to Legends even more.

I would think that they'd work on things like her wing effects -- they probably didn't have too much time to work on that to get the trailer out. Plus if the rest is awesome, I could see them going out and getting an artist who is good at doing that, and fixing things up.

Also, I find it heartening that at least from the TV/Movie side, there is movement towards making shows with/about female characters. I guess other strong-female led movies has chipped away at resistance, and now they're sensing $$ and are trying to go get it. I suspect that Hunger Games might have had something to do with it. I think the backdrop of movies like Salt, Lucy, Bridesmaids (etc) didn't hurt. Mix in the slowly growing female movie audience for Super Hero movies ... and you can see why someone would want to test things out into the market to see if the #'s actually pan out.

But this would mean DC is REALLY pushing on the arrow-verse (Arrow, Flash, Legends, Hawkgirl), and has two female led shows. I love it. (I'm still a bit miffed about Constantine, but it was a show that by definition wouldn't have the same appeal, and probably shouldn't have been on network TV.)

Now we just have to see more movement in the merchandising side -- though I think that this is changing. It trails behind the movies as you have to slot all these products as the movie is being made, and can't quickly change the mix. it's also a very conservative market -- you don't want to make $20M of toys that do not sell.

I do think some of this is changing. If you look at statue releases for DC there is a heavy mix of female characters, and entire lines that are female only (DC Cover Girls, DC Bombshells). (It helps that these are excellent quality and aren't a bad value.) They are doing an "Art of War" line of Wonder Woman (good mix of styles, inexpensive, well worth taking a look at). She was FIRST, the next line like that is Superman. And of course, Harley Quinn's continued popularity always drives comic sales and statue/merchandise sales. She might have been the gateway drug to pull part of DC forward. Marvel doesn't have a anything like the machine that is the DC statue department.

But in the toy department, things are still a bit one sided. If that cracks, well, look out, they're be a huge flood of things, and that will feed back into making more shows as the marketing will be deemed as more valuable (etc).

IF they crack toys, then the much rumored return of Young Justice is probably assured -- it was a show that grew to have great female characters, but was viewed as a problem for selling toys. (it's sad when this can tank a TV show.)

More
22 Jun 2015 21:45 #42885 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!
It should be noted that Supergirl TV show is getting by far the most public intrest of any show of the new season. Its Tv Trailer got more hits on youtube then all the other shows of three networks combined. Whether this translates to a hit or not, time will tell but its signs are looking good.

it makes sence in that context for CW to explore doing another one like it(and it should be noted that to have both female and African American lead show is neat). IZombie is doing pretty well for them, and as long as the train goes for shows like it i think it could sucseed. But will see. Three obviously really beliving in the Arrowverse stuff and as long as it does well i can't see why they don't.

Its intresting though you bring up Toys...cause it should be noted while toys like Star Wars was a huge hit...most movies these days aren't that big in the Childrens Focused toy market. They do produce some, but these days if non specifically kids movie does a million dollars in toy liscensing thats a big deal-and not likely to happen. So i doubt they are that pushing that angle. I think what we think of the traditional Gi Joe style action figures...don't sell nearly as well as they used to. Video Games, just diffrent tastes. The female toys don't sell line has been around since the 80s- but yeah really nothing sells that well.

More
23 Jun 2015 14:55 #42896 by Scwank
Replied by Scwank on topic Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!
The initial story linked above now has an update at the bottom, where the CW has stated this rumor isn't true.

More
23 Jun 2015 17:43 #42899 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Hawkgirl TV show?!!!!
RATZ!!!!!

I knew it was too good to be true.
Hence the "?" on the Subject

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds