Amount

(SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!

20 Nov 2015 18:51 #45262 by KarkClent
Go watch it!

Also, this is an informal discussion thread.

Spoilers are abound in this thread, just be sure to tag them for folks that haven't watched the whole thing yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KarkClent
  • KarkClent's Avatar Topic Author
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
20 Nov 2015 19:42 #45263 by shadar

KarkClent wrote: Go watch it!

Spoilers are abound in this thread, just be sure to tag them for folks that haven't watched the whole thing yet.

I think you've labeled this entire thread as SPOILER, so we don't need to worry about marking individual posts, or so I see it.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
20 Nov 2015 19:58 #45264 by KarkClent
Replied by KarkClent on topic (SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!

shadar wrote:

KarkClent wrote: Go watch it!

I think you've labeled this entire thread as SPOILER, so we don't need to worry about marking individual posts, or so I see it.

One can never put up too many signs.

• KarkClent
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
20 Nov 2015 22:02 #45266 by Dru1076
Wow....this show is actually BETTER than I thought it would be. It's gritty, and dark...and I can't believe who they got in for the purple man. Whoever is responsible for putting this show together deserves a raise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KarkClent

More
21 Nov 2015 02:25 - 21 Nov 2015 02:34 #45271 by KarkClent
So about Kilgrave...he is a good villain but I thought he was going to be better. I'm slightly disappointed with his motives for all this to be honest.

EDIT: HOOOOO MY GOD! (Episode 8)
Last edit: 21 Nov 2015 02:34 by KarkClent.

• KarkClent
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
21 Nov 2015 11:12 - 21 Nov 2015 14:15 #45274 by Monty
Just signed up and starting rolling...This looks good! Is Supergirl going to be on Netflix? If she is, I may maintain my monthly sub :)

ETA OMG! The elevator scene at the end of episode one OMG. :ohmy:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2015 14:15 by Monty.

More
21 Nov 2015 15:43 #45288 by Monty
I'm in ep3 where she has tracked him down to the apartment, and I have to say the fight scenes are far more realistic and 'violent' than anything I've seen on Supergirl - that's always been a minor complaint of mine about Supergirl, but I guess it's because it is aimed at a younger, different audience. THERE'S NO HOLDING BACK HERE!

More
21 Nov 2015 17:55 #45289 by jimbob
To be fair, realistic fight scenes wouldn't really work with Supergirl. Anyone strong enough to hurt her has to be really powerful as well so the fights are usually fantastical and more power oriented.

Where as Jessica is only slightly superpowered and fighting against brainwashed regular people thus far. If Supergirl were on her show and just as powerful she could just stand there and let everyone knock themselves out running into her ineffectively.

More
21 Nov 2015 21:18 #45295 by Monty
Trying to log back on but the site has crashed. That will be Jessica....she doesn't mess about, does she!

More
21 Nov 2015 21:32 - 21 Nov 2015 21:35 #45296 by KarkClent

Monty wrote: Just signed up and starting rolling...This looks good! Is Supergirl going to be on Netflix? If she is, I may maintain my monthly sub :)

ETA OMG! The elevator scene at the end of episode one OMG. :ohmy:

Supergirl is exclusively on CBS so you either have to watch it live when it comes on or go onto CBS to watch it for free the day after.

Also, this has got to be one of the best written shows, superheroine or not. The action and pacing are great, the dialogue is there and yes....even the sex scenes are important.

However, since I binged the whole season, I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I start discussing any potential spoilers.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2015 21:35 by KarkClent.

• KarkClent
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
22 Nov 2015 18:22 #45308 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic (SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!
I finished up last night.

I really enjoyed Jessica Jones. Is it better than Daredevil? I'm not sure, I'll have to wait a bit (and maybe rewatch both). I suspect I'll give the final nod to Daredevil, but they're different shows so it's hard for me to compare them.

Jones is delightfully dark, and Ritter does a great job of showing damaged Jessica. Jones is almost always looking for a bottle of alcohol in her room, and does things like pour alcohol into a thermos to take with her on stakeouts. She describes her alcohol buying as "I buy in bulk", and "I don't get asked out on a lot of second dates." She suffers from PTSD and in her own words "I'm just an asshole". At the same time, Ritter shows Jones human side, and why others would put up with her.

There didn't seem to be too many easter eggs I could find, except for the name check of Angela Del Toro (the White Tiger) as another private eye. I think a few of the names mentioned were nods to various writers and artists. There are some appearances of other characters -- but i won't spoil who they are. They don't outright tell you one of them, and I didn't pick up on him at first, but they eventually make it blatant who he is.

But the series has more than a few strength feats from Jones, not sure if they'll be frequent enough to make everyone here happy, but they're nice additions. Some of them are perfect, as they're almost casual. She rips locks off lockers (ping!), etc.

I do like how the series starts, and doesn't directly tell you that Jessica has powers. Instead, it lays down little hints here and there, until finally she lifts the back of a car easily.

I think the fight scenes were excellent. Some of the Luke Cage bar fight scenes might be some of the best super-strong/invulnerable vs. normal people fight footage I've seen. Cage just casually takes blows that would take down anyone else in the show, and simply looks annoyed. The fights between powered people is pretty excellent too (won't go into that, as even after the fact some things should be spoiled by watching the show). But I think they were well done, and (as someone mentioned) better than anything we've seen in Supergirl yet. (In it's defense Supergirl is often trying to do several things at the same time in a super-strong fight too, making what they're doing harder.)

I have to give a nod out to Tennant's performance. Killgrave could easily be just .. stupid. His motivations are almost childlike, but there are reasons for that. There is a great deal of "you want what you can't have" in him. There are several times when it Tennant just slides through a scene and conveys the evil damaged blighted person Killgrave is. Honestly think what your world would be like if just telling someone to do something, they did it. And you could even say "and you really enjoy it that way" (and they would). Now imagine that your childhood was hell without much proper structure and then as a teenager this power hits you? What kind of person would you be? Well, a good number of people would end up like Killgrave.

There is a great scene where Killgrave buys a house and wants it to be done "right" (without his powers) and has to carefully watch what he says. But the best part of it is at the end, when he casually just uses his powers to make sure the deal was ok, and then commands the guy to shut up and leave. I honestly don't think Killgrave even noticed he'd done that, he had what he wanted "fair" and slipped back into how he operates. It's scenes like this where Tennant shines. (There are a few more like this, but they're REALLY spoilery of the later episodes, and I'm trying not to do that). Suffice it to say I think Tennant's performance gets better as things go along (basically as there is more time for him to show nuance).

Tennant's ability to be charming, and then flip to a righteous rage, and back again. It's perfect to convey Killgrave. There are some perfect moments delivered by Tennant, and I think they make the show. Overall, just like Daredevil, the casting is spot on.

The show seemed a bit inconsistent on how strong Cage was, and how strong/invulnerable Jones was. It did very much seem like Jones was highly resistant to blunt force trauma (getting punched, hit by car), and had only normal human protection against cutting (bullet graze, scalpel). She mentioned she healed fast .. but her cuts didn't go away in a day or so, but she seemed OK after getting smashed around a lot. Again implying that she resisted blunt force more, and healed from that damage faster.

One of the foreplay scenes between Cage and Jones will probably go over well here. The scene strongly implies that Jones is stronger than Cage (just not as invulnerable). And there's an awesome smirk on Jones' face as they're struggling.

There ARE a few easter eggs to Cage's origin, you can see some setup of his show happening. Mike Colter is a perfect Luke Cage, and i'm now looking forward to his show. It won't be Jones or some super-femme, but so far it looks like the casting is spot on.

There is some ambiguity -- we don't REALLY find out about some things at the end, and I like that. We don't know, and neither does Jones. That sense pervades the show. Killgrave's power is .. stronger than in the comics. He can't leave 10+ hour commands, let alone complex post-hypnotic suggestion like ones that he does in the show. But this gives a very dangerous edge to the show, Jones never knows when someone might have been controlled by Killgrave, and told to do something (including kill themselves or others).

Ultimately, the quality of a villain is one of the metrics of a show. Killgrave's goals and motivation are juvenile, but they absolutely fit his character. His powers are creepy (and get creepier). Is he a better villain than Daredevil's Kingpin? Kingpin is more complex, more realistic, and absolutely brutal. But I'd absolutely pick to walk into a room with Kingpin over Killgrave. Kingpin, if I was respectful, honest, and not trying to kill/thwart/get in Kingpin's way -- I have a good chance of leaving the room alive and a pretty good chance of actually being treated fairly. Kingpin is prone to rage, but usually he's rational and TRIES to be civilized. Your only chance with Killgrave is if he's in a good mood, or interested in something else (him being bored is dangerous). And you just have to hope that he leaves you alone, or (at best) you'll likely be scared for life. That is when I think about Killgrave, there is this level of terror. Kingpin, I'd be afraid to go into a fight with him, but as I said, not to just meet him at a party. Killgrave, if I knew he existed, I'd contemplate if I should just go to another city for awhile. The more I think about him, the more psychologically terrifying Killgrave is. You can see this reflected in characters in the show, and I don't think their reactions are out of bounds either. Even being mildly being controlled by him must be profoundly disturbing.

By the same token, Killgrave is pretty easy to kill, the show even demonstrates some of the ways it could be done. Mostly kIllgrave tries to do things to mitigate those, but it's still possible.

They're different types of villains, and I think each suits each show well....

A good question is if there is going to be a Jones Season 2 or if she's showing up in Cage. They did set up some stuff to be resolved in Jones 2.

I also really want to see what's on deck for Iron Fist. Colleen Wing? Misty Knight? In the modern comics Knight has been showing up a bit, so I'm thinking we have a good chance of her showing up in Iron Fist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, KarkClent

More
22 Nov 2015 22:01 #45311 by KarkClent
Nothing is scarier than a person with the emotional and social aptitude of a 10 year old who can literally control people's minds. He is evil but at the same time, he is not completely morally evil since he seems to be unaware of how much his actions really affect everyone around him nor does he care to figure that part out. Even when he does something good, his reflection on his heroism and the many other things he has done throughout the show made me cringe and shudder. Yet, when he is presented with the truth of his actions, he denies it much like a kid does and pretends it doesn't exist. Even him complaining about people having their free will (dinner scene at Jessica's old house) boggled my mind as to how much of a monster he really is (as well as how much of a whiny brat).

The worst part is that people like that actually exist, no superpowers though (thankfully).

Yeah, I'd rather encounter Kingpin than Kilgrave any day of the week. Kilgrave does present this fear because he is morally immature to his own actions.

I couldn't have cheered any louder for his death because I thought they were going to postpone it and leave it for a cliffhanger.

• KarkClent
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
22 Nov 2015 23:47 - 22 Nov 2015 23:50 #45313 by Dru1076
I like how they subtly set up the next season, or perhaps no so subtly. I'm guessing a nurse so quick to help and so generous with her time who walked away with a huge sample of Luke Cage's DNA and admits to dealing with "special" cases before is not someone who is as good and helpful as the they appear. But I confess I watched the show with only a vague awareness of the comics so I'm just guessing at what most probably already know.

I would have liked it more if Jessica had more opportunities to show off, and if she hadn't been lying about being bullet proof. But she was a real hoot of a character, and Ritter did a great job. Tenant was a pleasant surprise to me...i didn't know before watching that he was involved and he made Kilgrave, who was a detestable character on so many levels, almost likeable. Almost.

This is certainly Marvel for adults, and I feel confident there will at least be a season two.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 23:50 by Dru1076.

More
23 Nov 2015 01:08 #45314 by gomaller
Replied by gomaller on topic (SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!
That was interesting how Jessica kills Kilgrave, surprising and bold from Marvel/Disney indeed.

More
23 Nov 2015 12:11 #45318 by TheRo

Dru1076 wrote: I like how they subtly set up the next season, or perhaps no so subtly. I'm guessing a nurse so quick to help and so generous with her time who walked away with a huge sample of Luke Cage's DNA and admits to dealing with "special" cases before is not someone who is as good and helpful as the they appear. But I confess I watched the show with only a vague awareness of the comics so I'm just guessing at what most probably already know.

She's actually just a supporting character from Daredevil and setting up the planned crossover.

More
23 Nov 2015 12:12 #45319 by TheRo

Dru1076 wrote: I like how they subtly set up the next season, or perhaps no so subtly. I'm guessing a nurse so quick to help and so generous with her time who walked away with a huge sample of Luke Cage's DNA and admits to dealing with "special" cases before is not someone who is as good and helpful as the they appear. But I confess I watched the show with only a vague awareness of the comics so I'm just guessing at what most probably already know.

She's actually just a supporting character from the Daredevil series and setting up the planned crossover.

More
23 Nov 2015 20:33 - 23 Nov 2015 20:47 #45330 by Dru1076

TheRo wrote:

She's actually just a supporting character from the Daredevil series and setting up the planned crossover.

Oh well. Just goes to show I haven't watched Daredevil. I haven't recovered from that awful movie enough to give it a go. I don't think I will enjoy the crossover nearly as much as JJ season 2. If there's guys and gals around in a marvel team, seems to me that the guys do most of the work.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 20:47 by Dru1076.

More
23 Nov 2015 21:36 #45332 by jimbob
I don't think they'll do a JJ season 2. She's already going to probably be a major feature in Cage's series, and she'll be in Defenders. And they offed her only major foe and resolved the majority of her plot before she marries Cage.

More
23 Nov 2015 22:14 #45333 by Dru1076
I hope your wrong, JB. But it wouldn't surprise me.

More
23 Nov 2015 22:46 - 23 Nov 2015 22:52 #45335 by Dru1076
Fortunately, I am not the only one holding out hope for a second season:

www.ibtimes.co.uk/jessica-jones-season-2...s-miniseries-1530016

There's a lot of potential for the series to continue. I don't find the idea of Jessica playing second fiddle in Cage's series all that appealing, really.but I'll take what I can get, I guess.

It does seem depressingly unlikely I will see my hopes fullfilled, though...
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 22:52 by Dru1076.

More
23 Nov 2015 23:48 #45336 by jimbob

gomaller wrote: That was interesting how Jessica kills Kilgrave, surprising and bold from Marvel/Disney indeed.

I loved that. As someone who thought Kilgrave was nothing but a disgusting sick son of a bitch who deserved worse than death based on what he did to that girl in episode 1 alone I cheer when she killed him.

I was only disapointed she didn't break every bone in his body first or otherwise cause him brutal pain. He sure deserved it.

I don't think I've ever hated a villain like I've hated Kilgrave before.

More
24 Nov 2015 16:08 #45349 by KarkClent
Yeah, who knew that the Doctor had it in him to be a great villain. Tennant was brilliant along with the rest of the cast. I had no complaints and was invested deeply in the story.

• KarkClent
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
24 Nov 2015 16:53 - 11 Dec 2015 19:13 #45352 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic (SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!

KarkClent wrote: Yeah, who knew that the Doctor had it in him to be a great villain. Tennant was brilliant along with the rest of the cast. I had no complaints and was invested deeply in the story.

Killgrave wasn't his first villain thought.

Last edit: 11 Dec 2015 19:13 by Woodclaw.

More
11 Dec 2015 13:33 #45622 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic (SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!
Was it just me or right before Jessica snapped Kilgrave's neck did his face turn purple?

Woodclaw's video did not load for me.
What villain did Tennant play before Kilgrave?

More
11 Dec 2015 19:14 #45623 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic (SPOILERS)Jessica Jones is out now on Netflix!

Markiehoe wrote: Was it just me or right before Jessica snapped Kilgrave's neck did his face turn purple?

Woodclaw's video did not load for me.
What villain did Tennant play before Kilgrave?

Try now and skip to 2.24 roughly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds