Amount

Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness

19 May 2016 00:07 - 19 May 2016 00:09 #47960 by castor
Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness was created by castor
Been watching some of the New Scy Fi show, which got announced on the group about a year ago but didn't get any love when it got on.

Its a lot of Fun. its About Wynonna (Melena Scarfino), a rebellious free spirit young woman who has to battling demons that her Great Grandfather helped create, with the help of the Police and 'FBi' in a small town purgotory. She has to deal with a jellious sister(popular theme this year), Allies who may not be allies, whats kinda of a love triangle with the sherif.

Melena is very engaging. There is a fair amount of comparisons to shows like Buffy and Supergirl-but she plays it a lot more freely then that, the loose cannon charisma is really sold here. Shes a little to playful to be a traditional bad girl, but there it is-and the scenes when she does care or break down really mean something. Shes the kind of character Shadar used to write well.

But heres the thing-the ubergirl stuff such as it is(and its not much, its more like shes really good with a gun and kinda vauge something ) is maybe least favorite stuff of the show. I think i would like it much better if she was just a cop in a small town, ala justifed or longmare. A modern Day Western. The supernatural Demon stuff is just kinda there, and like other modern fantasy stuff has a kinda...fashictic take which i don't like(though i do think to the shows credit it realizes it more then others)

Which leads to this question to the group, which is an honest question: is there Media, books TV, movies Comics etc where you kinda wish the ubergirl stuff wasn't there? Cause thats kinda where i am here.
Last edit: 19 May 2016 00:09 by castor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 May 2016 01:53 - 19 May 2016 01:53 #47967 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness
Hmmmm good question.

My only response at this time is that I haven't really thought about it :(

Having not seen Wyonna Earp I guess I can't really relate to your example. Could you give some other examples so I can get a better picture of what you mean? Or is it something like Buffy, but without her strength?

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 19 May 2016 01:53 by kikass2014.

More
19 May 2016 02:32 #47970 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness
I'm trying to wrap my head around this question.
I'll have you know I enjoy every second that Supergirl is in costume but I muddle through her Cara moments.

I happen to like Damsels also.
Iris West is the only regular female cast member on Flash who is not super smart or super powered.
I'm glad she is exactly the way she is.

Moira Queen was a commanding presence on Arrow.
So much so they had to kill her off.

The best episode of Agents of SHIELD was the one when Simmons was trapped on the alien planet.
She is super smart but she had to dig down real deep.
She used her brains, average girl physical ability, inner strength and even her sexuality to survive.

More
19 May 2016 03:33 #47973 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness
I bought the original comic back in the day. It was ok. I honestly hope this show REALLY takes off, as I bet there aren't too many copies of those around. GET REALLY REALLY POPULAR so people drive the price up. ;-)

The current comic -- I stopped buying it as it's bad enough that I couldn't take it. I have a a high pain threshold for this stuff, so either I'm off (which is likely a bit true), it didn't hit me right, or it must be really bad. But from the descriptions I've seen of the show it's not a 1-1 match for the show, which is a mistake on the comic's part I think. (The show sounds much better.)

This isn't the first place i've heard positive things about the show, but I won't get to watch it until I either decide it's worth paying for (which at present I do not think it is), OR it shows up on Amazon Prime/Netflix for free. I could torrent, but I don't do that for things I can legally acquire. Last thing I torrented was the Almighty Johnsons when it wasn't available in the US, but had finished in New Zealand. It was released to Amazon before I finished so I bought S2 there, and before I got to S3, it was free on Netflix, all three seasons are currently streaming there.

BTW: Almighty Johnsons has a _bit_ of ubergirl in it, not too much, and not strength. If you watched it solely ubergilrs for that you'd be upset. Michelle Langstone as Sjofn was super-hot. But, in line with this topic, she was super-confident, and was sexy for that reason, she didn't have to use her powers. Usually something each episode to make me laugh, and the show has a lot of fun. (Odin wakes up as a woman in one episode. And does have a pretty great scene with Sjofn.)

More
19 May 2016 04:37 #47977 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness

kikass2014 wrote: Hmmmm good question.

My only response at this time is that I haven't really thought about it :(

Having not seen Wyonna Earp I guess I can't really relate to your example. Could you give some other examples so I can get a better picture of what you mean? Or is it something like Buffy, but without her strength?

Peace.

/K

In terms of uberness its not really defined-its more like a classic "Your the chosen one-only you can defeat the darkness" type deal.

Which i guess go to my point. I don't like the darkness and the demon ghosts angle-but i guess the uberness kinda takes away from it. She would be a better character if she did these things..just cause she was a kick ass heroine.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 May 2016 19:02 #48002 by Andy T
Replied by Andy T on topic Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness
maybe thats an idea for the next story workshop? a story where ubergirlness is written into a non ubergirl movie or tv show
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
20 May 2016 09:09 #48025 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Wyonna Earp and UberGirlness

Andy T wrote: maybe thats an idea for the next story workshop? a story where ubergirlness is written into a non ubergirl movie or tv show

Being there, done that. It was the theme of workshop 1.11 -- which went down in history as the workshop with the least number of submissions ever :(
Still it's a nice theme that I like seeing revisited every once in a while.

More
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds