Amount

Squirrel Girl coming to TV?

31 Aug 2016 02:16 #49910 by oliu99
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunla, furbutt4, five_red, castor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oliu99
  • oliu99's Avatar Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2016 04:09 #49917 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Squirrel Girl coming to TV?
Gentle reminder: if someone posts a story / comment / link / whatever that you appreciate, anywhere on the SWM forums, please take the time to (log in and) hit the "Thank you" button to reward the contributor. Just a few moments of your time helps promote a steady flow of great material.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, five_red

More
31 Aug 2016 04:23 #49919 by castor
Thatr said....ehh.

New Warriors was never an intresting book or that great.Its main characters are Well already on TV..

But its intresting the only character any one really remembers from the book is Squirrel Girl.

They gave squirrel girl her own Book which lasted longer at this point then New Mutants has and is going pretty well. She could handle her own show. I mean she has all the powers of a squirrel and a girl.

More
31 Aug 2016 09:03 #49922 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Squirrel Girl coming to TV?

castor wrote: Thatr said....ehh.

New Warriors was never an intresting book or that great.Its main characters are Well already on TV..

But its intresting the only character any one really remembers from the book is Squirrel Girl.

They gave squirrel girl her own Book which lasted longer at this point then New Mutants has and is going pretty well. She could handle her own show. I mean she has all the powers of a squirrel and a girl.

I think you've confused the Great Lake Avengers for the New Warriors (and then also said New Mutants). I literally couldn't make sense of what you typed there, it was like you typed "Yellow is the best Blue." (Both New Mutants and New Warriors DWARF her published history of about 25 comics.)

If you are talking comics, Squirrel Girl was never a New Warrior. I might have missed something there, like I didn't read the latest comic version, but I did google to see an didn't find any hits outside TV.

And if you are talking the Great Lakes Avengers, I'll have to paraphrase the famous (incorrect, he never said it) quote from John Lennon "She's not even the most famous member of the Great Lakes Avengers". (I don't count Hawkeye, so the answer to that question is "Deadpool", though you'd be fair to point out that almost no one remembers that he was a member in a special)

None of this has any real bearing on making a TV show, where they'll fill the TV roster with the characters they want based on what mix they need, cost to do well, etc. They'll change characters to fit what they need. Which is as it should be.

Netflix Defenders only contain one (fairly minor) Defender: Luke Cage, and he'd be on no one's short list for the team. (I'm not counting Iron Fist's Defender for a Day, or that recent Secret Defenders.) Maybe if they include Hellcat they'll get some other bonus points for getting another Defender.

I'd find Squirrel Girl annoying, if she wasn't so damn cute. The problem is, I like Deadpool too. But Deadpool isn't any fun when he's "DEADPOOL" and is put in everything and taken to way too much importance. Same thing for Squirrel Girl ... So far I think they've been using her reasonably, but ... moderation isn't really the comic book way. (Re: 4+ Harley Quinn comics, wolverine, spider-man, etc)

But she'd work great in a comedy show, working to her strengths.

More
31 Aug 2016 14:10 #49943 by castor
Acording to the article:

1. The book is the New Warriors there trying to make a TV Show out of.

2. Your right. The comic overall has more issues then SQuirrel, but thats over like 4 runs.

3. This show is going to be a half an hour sitcom.

4. Squirrel Girl was never a member of the team. She did make a number of guest appearences.

5. This is probabbly the only thing anyone remembers of the book.

6.. This is the only thing the artcile about it remembers. Narrry a mention of Speedball.

7. Squirrel Girl is a better Great Lakes Avenger then Deadpool.

8. Squirrel Girl has in fact defeated Deadpool. Shes the most powerful heroine in the marvel universe. this is well established.

9. The order goes: Squirrel Girl, Monkey Joe, Flatman, Mr Immortal, Big Berha, Grasshopper, Flatman Doorman, Squirrel Girl Effecting a french accent then Deadpool. And Diana Sorr.

10. Someday or another mark my words we will see Squirrel Girl in some kinda of live action format. its a matter of time.

More
31 Aug 2016 20:17 #49975 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Squirrel Girl coming to TV?
"Your right. The comic overall has more issues then SQuirrel, but thats over like 4 runs.". Yes and 4 of their 5 series had a longer runs than Squirrel Girl Vol 1. (it'll be a looong time before she passes New Warriors Vol 1 # of issues.)

Squrrel Girl never guest started in New Warriors: comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=3423 so there is no way she's "the only thing people remember from the book". (It's this comment that made me think you were Talking about the GLA and not New Warriors, or had brain farted and confused the two, because the show is "New Warriors")

(BTW some articles have an image of her and the last New Warriors team, but she's been photoshopped into the artwork for the news story.)

Justice/Firestar are Avengers (during a hot run), Firester is an X-Men. Nova (even only counting Richard Rider), has has way more comics than Squirrel Girl. The latest Nova's comic outsold hers every month this year except March (where he barely lost), not counting that he's also in Waid's Avengers title.

Saying that they are unknowns (to comic book fans) is crazy talk.

Squirrel Girl as little as three years ago, OTH, was an unknown (she was a minor character acting as a nanny for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones). She's fun though, and DC and Marvel both needed more fun titles, and she hit a sweet spot. Marvel took a chance and her comic has been fairly popular, though the character is more famous than her sales suggest, probably as she is bringing in new demographics (though that is just a guess, I have no data on that).

Nothing else is known about the show other than "Squirrel Girl" and "New Warriors", they literally have nothing else to talk about but Squirrel Girl.

It's still not clear how Marvel has the rights though, unless there was a side bar with Fox over the issue. (I got the impression Fox couldn't make mutant based TV shows w/o approval, though Marvel couldn't either.)

Certainly everyone is acting like Marvel has the full rights -- but that assertion never seemed to make sense to me when Fox own's rights to all the mutants. But I don't think there's been a real accounting on how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver got to be in the MCU either.

As far as anyone can tell, Marvel might be allowed to use any character they want if turn them into non-mutants. It's the only thing that I could find about Witch and Quicksilver, so maybe that trick works for SG too. Still seems like something that a Fox Lawyer would phone up and complain about. Where does that trick end? Can they just do that to Wolverine and use him?

More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds