Amount

Powerless reviews

04 Feb 2017 14:58 - 04 Feb 2017 17:00 #52379 by five_red
Powerless reviews was created by five_red
I've just watched the pilot episode of the new Powerless series. The series takes place in the DC universe, but focuses on the lives of everyday people who have to live with the consequences of sharing their city with a never-ending supply of battling super-people. The (very clever) title sequence pretty much sums the show up -- it presents a series of classic DC comicbook covers (eg. Action Comics #1), then zooms in on each to focus on the hapless innocent bystanders trying to flee from the carnage.

The main setting is a sadly neglected subdivision of Wayne Industries, run by indifferent management, that develops consumer products to help ordinary people cope with living in a world filled with superheroes and villains. They're getting trashed by their Lexcorp competition, but Vanessa Hudgens is the upbeat newcomer who is determined to turn things around. At its heart the show is really a workplace comedy that happens to take place in the crazy gadget-filled world of DC comics -- the setting could easily have been Q's research lab in James Bond. Indeed the comedy comes as much from taking swipes at the laziness of modern corporate culture as it does from laughing at the absurdity of superheroes (this year's big product is the same as last year's big product, except it has a slightly different shade of purple on the case.)

For heroine fans the first three minutes of the pilot are where the action is at, with Crimson Fox doing a handful of super-strength feats to save a train. The brief CGI shots aren't exactly up to movie standards, or even CW standards (which is understandable, given that the show's focus is comedy not heroics), but still manage to look quite cool thanks to some imaginative camera angles. Beyond this opening segment, the focus is mainly on the workplace comedy, and there's little on-screen super-heroics or CGI work. Presumably they don't have the budget for anything more than cameo super-battles.

The show's pilot episode got a mixed reception from critics, and I think much of the criticism is fair. The premise has a lot to offer, but this opening episode doesn't quite hit the mark. Still, as critics pointed out, it is only a pilot so perhaps future episodes will fulfil its potential. But don't expect too much superheroine action in future episodes -- although the pilot suggests there will be recurring appearances by Crimson Fox etc, the show is primarily a workplace comedy with a twist, not a superhero show!

R5

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 17:00 by five_red. Reason: Pics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Feb 2017 16:31 #52382 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Powerless reviews
Dead on review. I agree with all of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

More
04 Feb 2017 16:48 #52383 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic Powerless reviews
The first episode is available for free on iTunes - downloading it now.

More
04 Feb 2017 17:15 #52385 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Powerless reviews
I loved it!

I can not wait to see more.

More
04 Feb 2017 17:32 #52386 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Powerless reviews
Glad it was only 30 minutes. Unless it gets much better, it won't last.

More
31 Mar 2017 13:43 #53434 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Powerless reviews
Cleaning up my DVR backlog.
I have watched a few stored episodes.
Powerless is not a great show but it is a fun show.

They explored a variation of my second least favorite trope in one episode.
Good girl likes Badboy.
It was actually kinda fun.

Super cool Crimson Fox (you'll get the joke if you see the episode) makes a great guest Superhero in another episode.

This show ain't so bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, TwiceOnThursdays

More
31 Mar 2017 15:06 #53437 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Powerless reviews

Markiehoe wrote: Cleaning up my DVR backlog.

Good girl likes Badboy.

Super cool Crimson Fox (you'll get the joke if you see the episode) makes a great guest Superhero in another episode.

This show ain't so bad.

That might be one of the best episodes.

I think Powerless is "ok", it's not great, but it's ok.

I still sum it up as "the credits are better than the show". Which isn't a big a knock as it sounds, as a long time comic fan, the opening credits are FANTASTIC.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
31 Mar 2017 18:30 #53440 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Powerless reviews

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

Markiehoe wrote: Cleaning up my DVR backlog.

Good girl likes Badboy.

This show ain't so bad.

That might be one of the best episodes.

I think Powerless is "ok", it's not great, but it's ok.

I still sum it up as "the credits are better than the show". Which isn't a big a knock as it sounds, as a long time comic fan, the opening credits are FANTASTIC.

This is good and a really cool idea -but i wish the music was a little better. Its a little to tinny. if it was it would be great.

This maybe a metaphor for the show itself.

More
02 Apr 2017 12:22 #53470 by canarysong
Replied by canarysong on topic Powerless reviews
I love the idea but not sure how you make a series out of it.

In a way, it's similar to what Mike Myers did with the first Austin Powers film, when he had little vignettes involving the family and friends of Dr Evil's henchmen paying tribute to their loved ones who died in encounters with the "International Man of Mystery".

On a side note, I've always wondered how supervillains recruit henchmen given their high mortality rate - maybe they offer a good pension scheme?

JOHN

More
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds