Amount

They messed up Medusa

05 May 2017 12:03 #53903 by Markiehoe
They messed up Medusa was created by Markiehoe
www.yahoo.com/tv/marvel-inhumans-costume...store-165815910.html

Medusa is one of my all time favorites.
They could screw up every other Inhuman and I wouldn't care.
Why did they have to do such a poor job on Medusa?

"Grounded" is the term that kills me.
Why oh why are they making a "grounded" Inhumans tv show?
Jack and Stan were anything but "grounded."
In this day and age when the public wants fantasy why give us grounded.
GotG is anything but "grounded."
They made a "grounded" Fantastic Four movie a short time ago.
How did that turn out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 May 2017 15:19 #53905 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic They messed up Medusa
I'm taking this as a static royal family shot. So we're not really seeing them in motion or normal posing (it's a bit stilted), nor are these likely to be the costumes we see all the time. Medusa often changed up what she wore (she's a Queen after all).

There is a note that they've not applied the effects to her hair yet. That's half of Medusa right there. They can CGI hair pretty well these days ... so i'm cautiously reserving judgement until that happens.

I like the actress (she was Zatanna in Smallville and in Breakout Kings) ... but not sure she was right for medusa. I'll reserve that for seeing her in action though.

I think Crystal is pretty good. Karnak is someone you need to see in movement and not moving. He's a measured study on only moving when he needs to but really moving when he does. I think you need to get both right to do him. The stillness and the beyond perfect martial arts.

IIwan Rheon will kill as Maximus, he's perfect. Gorgon is half attitude, so if they cast him right he should do well.

The poor actor who plays Black Bolt. Let's hope he doesn't count his lines. ;-) It is a really good acting challenge though.

More
05 May 2017 15:40 - 05 May 2017 15:42 #53908 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic They messed up Medusa
I agree with Twice on this.

I'm not the biggest Inhumans reader or expert to be fair, but yeah, when half the character (i.e. the hair) is a CG element, can't really tell how good they are from a still shot. Same goes for the others to a certain extent I guess.

From what I understand, the costumes are "generally" correct, and also, like Twice said, they won't be wearing the same stuff (at least Medusa, I'm guessing the others too from time to time) all the time.

I have to agree, I too don't really like this "grounded" approach when applied to comic book adaptions. Embrace the comic book and capture that, not distill it, or morph it into something it isn't. Comic books (especially superhero ones) are NOT grounded. That is the whole point of a) the creators making them; and b) ppl reading them. It's an escape from reality, not an exact replication of it.

Sure, if the source material in the comics is grounded, then fine. But the main one for that that springs to mind is Batman. It works for him, generally, though my favorite take on him was Burton's overly Gothic interpretation. Imo, by far my favorite in terms of capturing the essence of Batman. Ofc, Nolan's is the benchmark, and they are superior films, but that is another debate :)

For sure a still cannot depict the quality of the show, show like most I assume, I will reserve my judgment of the show til it airs.

Just my 2 cents :)

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 05 May 2017 15:42 by kikass2014.

More
05 May 2017 17:51 #53914 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic They messed up Medusa
I know I may be jumping the gun here but this is the 21st century.
Medusa is all about the hair.
Post a looping animated gif and no one would be complaining right now.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 May 2017 19:09 #53916 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic They messed up Medusa
I don't like this either but I think it would be wise to wait for the trailer before complaining about their look. Maybe that's not her only uniform, and maybe they'll add some CGI to her hair to look cooler. In fact they'll almost surely will because they have to animate it anyways
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

More
05 May 2017 19:29 #53919 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic They messed up Medusa
One image avaible and I've already saw people tear they hair out over it and calling the entire operation a failure. :(
Now I don't like the Inhumans (nor the Eternals for the records) but I don't think this image is that terrible. There's room for improvement sure, but the fundamentals of most designs are there and they look coherent with most of what we have seen so far in the cinematic universe. In my opinion calling b******t on this picture is like saying that all Captain America movies are bad because the costume lacks the wings on the helmet/mask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 May 2017 21:52 #53925 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic They messed up Medusa
What I know about marketing could fill a thimble.

But I know what i like.
If you are trying to sell something to a crowded market.

And lets face it Superhero shows are everywhere now.
Who'd have thunk it!

You better bring it!
If your main character gets such a negative reaction from one picture you have done something wrong.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 May 2017 23:42 #53928 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic They messed up Medusa

You better bring it!

I agree :)

If your main character gets such a negative reaction from one picture you have done something wrong.

A fair point.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds