Amount

Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot

09 Sep 2017 04:31 #56172 by brad328
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SCOTT R, Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays, kikass2014, RD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brad328
  • brad328's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Sep 2017 05:34 #56174 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot

brad328 wrote: deadline.com/2017/09/the-greatest-americ...mmitment-1202164782/

Like the concept, just not the vehicle (half hour, single camera comedy)....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, kikass2014

More
09 Sep 2017 09:23 #56175 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot
Yeah I'm with you on this Lfan.

I can see this being a total miss.

Having said that, Nahnatchka Khan is also responsible for creating Dont Tell the B....in Apt. 23. Which, while I don't think it went down too well with audiences and critics (if i remember right), I found it to be pretty good. I liked the surreal nature of it, and the cookie humor.

And it also gave us Jessica Jones :P

Will keep one eye on this project, but not holding my breath.

Tnx for the info Brad 328 :)

Peace.

/K

More
09 Sep 2017 10:37 #56177 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot
This show will live or die on the casting of the lead actress.

I hope they don't go the "Plain Jane" type.

More
09 Sep 2017 17:20 - 10 Sep 2017 16:12 #56181 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot

lfan wrote:

brad328 wrote: deadline.com/2017/09/the-greatest-americ...mmitment-1202164782/

Like the concept, just not the vehicle (half hour, single camera comedy)....

ElF

As someone who reads my stories i am not afraid of comedy-but you know i kinda think that maybe the format for these kinda of shows.

Theres a discussion on another thread a lot of the problem with superheros shows these day is well its 30 minutes of a superhero action show, plus 30 minutes of angst, love triangles etc. 22 minutes is a good format for if not cutting that all together cutting back. Also i think with the kind of ubergirl hero, hour long shows often a little to much temptation to have "oh darn this the 30 minute mark the foe is going to beat me up" that is often kinda of the problem of Supergirl metaphorically. 22 minutes lets you find a story without overtelling it

Yeah where not going to get the ending scene of Man of steel each episode but maybe something. Tick is doing a pretty good job of doing this and powerless was by no means perfect but it tried. Orville looks neat if its yeah an hour-i donno

The original show was a 60 minute action comedy-but it also came out at a time when the idea like doing a 30 minute single camera comedy was just not done in the way we think about it today. In someways tyou can look at some of the problems of that one as they had to fill it out to an hour.

To go back to my writing. This week i listened to a podcast talking about the show imaginary mary where they commented a better name would be- #Adulting-which is kind of a modern concept in pop culture i wrote a very very long story series called Tales from Mazing girl a couple of years ago, and I kinda of get that-that was very much about using the idea of a superhero as a metaphor for that-and i do think that has legs. This i am going to guess has a similar premise and could be neat.That said i bring Imaginary Mary cause-that show the problem was they had a fantastic concept-a woman who has an living cgi imaginary friend-and didn't do much at all with it to the point that you could really cut it out.

As been said this could be good, this could be bad, this maybe never see the light of day. A lot depends on the casting a lot depends on the budget and ambition-but you know i am optomistic about this
Last edit: 10 Sep 2017 16:12 by castor.

More
10 Sep 2017 21:27 #56196 by Brad2
Replied by Brad2 on topic Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot
OK. Couple of questions:

1: What outfit are they using? I admit I loved the one used in the 1986 "Greatest American Heroine" pilot with Mary Ellen Stuart. But I also love long(ish) capes and catsuits.

2: What special effects will they be capable of? For instance, would they be able to do "wind effects" (cape and hair blowing around in the breeze)justice for flight scenes? They'd also need to do appearing/disappearing, super strength, and invulnerability to harm, off the top of my head.

I also agree that who they cast will matter, at least in interesting me. Thanks to everyone for this_this is a fun discovery!:cheer: Hope the show succeeds...

More
10 Sep 2017 22:30 #56197 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Greatest American Hero(ine) Reboot

Brad2 wrote: OK. Couple of questions:

1: What outfit are they using? I admit I loved the one used in the 1986 "Greatest American Heroine" pilot with Mary Ellen Stuart. But I also love long(ish) capes and catsuits.

2: What special effects will they be capable of? For instance, would they be able to do "wind effects" (cape and hair blowing around in the breeze)justice for flight scenes? They'd also need to do appearing/disappearing, super strength, and invulnerability to harm, off the top of my head.

I also agree that who they cast will matter, at least in interesting me. Thanks to everyone for this_this is a fun discovery!:cheer: Hope the show succeeds...

1. I doubt they know at this point. Costumes details about TV shows are often worked out if not the last minute reasonably close. I bet there is some costume art, but a lot is up to who they cast which they haven't announced yet. How much there going for the classic look is an open question

2. I once read this about TV and from my experience its largely true. With an ambitious mind you can do just about anything in TV once. It may not sucseed, and if it fails there usually isn't the time or budget to do it over, but if you want to try something go right ahead-just do it once an episode.

So i donno- it is very very dependent on what they want to show, and how ambitious they want to be, and who they hire i think for fairly minor positions It also depends on there budget which i have no idea

. Supergirl in its first season problem especialyl at first was it wasn't great done technically. Sonys Powers problem was it done terribly-you can see how they just thought they could do it all in post and they couldn't. Watching the Tick now-and its done pretty damm well (its helped that its directed by the cinemtographer on the Nolan Batman movies who knows what you can do).

So i don't know. But a degree no one knows. Not even them

Its one of the real reasons you would want to do a pilot. Since you don't know how its going to look-well see what they can do. But i am kind of optomistic

But As for the Wind effect-thats pretty easy to do on a TV budget-you need a big fan but its easy enough.

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds