Amount

Bionic Woman 2007 10 years later

26 Sep 2017 01:20 #56360 by andyf
Bionic Woman 2007 10 years later was created by andyf
September 26 will be the the tenth anniversary of the first airing of NBC's 2007 Bionic Woman reboot. With Supergirl entering its third season and Wonder Woman being a big hit on the big screen, I thought it might be worth talking about this failed,but promising series.

I still stand by my earlier posts that the show was micromanaged to death by NBC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dauntingmold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2017 04:53 #56361 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic Bionic Woman 2007 10 years later
I barely remember it. I remember watching a few episodes and then turning it off as a bad idea. Not many scenes with strength. Wasn't impressed with the actress. Marginal writing. Honestly, however, 10 years later these are only impressions. It came, it went, another missed opportunity.

More
26 Sep 2017 09:04 #56362 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Bionic Woman 2007 10 years later
I completely agree with you andyf on this. Unfortunately I think the show was doomed before even one episode aired. If I remember correctly the head of NBC at the time the show got picked up was very keen on the idea, but he got removed from his post before the season started and his successor was less enthusiastic, I also believe they lost their lead writer because of this (just my speculation) and the writers strike later that year was the final straw.

For my part I enjoyed it, though the tone of the show seemed to change every other episode. I've always enjoyed Michelle Ryan as an actress given the right role, so for me this was a big missed opportunity

More
26 Sep 2017 18:38 #56364 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Bionic Woman 2007 10 years later
Thoughts:

In retrospect seems a lot like Supergirl-super powerful young woman is forced to work with a mysterious goverment agency for you know reasons.

In some ways i think it was better. it was well shot, and they had a good sense of fight coreography something that supergirl has never really had consitently. The show had a neat villain if they didn't alway use her well, and i liked that her motivation didn't just boil down to revenge or rule the world but a kind of neat desire to be liked in a way that someone who may not quite think there human would. The rest of the cast was for the most part pretty solid and a good sense of cynicism and that they where babysitting a newb. And it did in a world where LOST was a thing did a good job of conveying that there was things they weren't quite telling her.

But and this maybe Controverisal. Michele Ryan was pretty, and had a couple of good scenes-but she was kind of the shows weak point. Her kind of mostly playing it as if she didn't really want to be there i think would work for a Movie but in a weekly TV show got old quickly She could convey that she had superpowers that she didn't really like-but never really got beyond that-and it didn't really work. She never really had the charisma to sell it, and that i think was the shows real problem. As the show moved into the case of the week

You can't underestimate how important someone like Melissa Benoist is to supergirls sucess-her ability to seem goofy, serious, powerful scared while wearing-a good but kind of silly looking costume for half the time And we should be glad we got that.

Which is kinda of what i feel about Bionic Woman. Is it sad it had Network problems? Yeah Was it Canceled to Soon? Maybe-but i am not sure it was ever going to be a great show for the ages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf, Starforge

More
28 Sep 2017 03:42 #56372 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Bionic Woman 2007 10 years later
I can't believe a decade already. I saw the premiere at San Diego Comic Con. I posted that back then, too, lol! That show sucked so bad!!!! LOL.

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds