Amount

She-Ra Reboot in Works

20 May 2018 19:40 #59553 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works

lfan wrote:

kikass2014 wrote: I hope the animation is as detailed as that pic you posted WLG :)

Somehow, I think it won't be :)

Looking forward to checking this out. Like others, loved (and still do) She-ra from back in the day :)

Peace.

/K

its not.  Not even close, unfortunately.  It's not as bad as the brutal Thundercats animation, but kinda Teen Titans-esque in terms of style and detail.  Dunno why this "high level" animation is now the norm these days (e.g. Steven Universe, Rick Marty, etc) but it's definitely not my cup of joe

ElF

I'm going to chock some of this up to "people don't understand what they're copying".  They see Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty as successfull, so they want to be like them.

The animation style WORKS for those shows. They don't look like Teen Titans (not go), Young Justice, Anime, etc on purpose, and it helps to tell their stories.

But the new Thundercats ... the focus in on Comedy and Action. I thought your picture was a joke image someone made -- but *sigh* it's real.  And I went and read about it. The showrunner said "for every one step we take towards comedy, we take two towards action".  That sounds fantastic, honoring the old show, ramping up the humor, and keeping some kick ass action. Unfortunately,  if that is the case, their animation format isn't one that's geared towards action/comedy ... it's focused towards a show where action may happen, but it's not the focus.  

Maybe they should take tips from Samurai Jack (a minimal animation style that really works with it's story).  (Hm.  I need to watch the new Samurai Jacks.) 

Hopefully this wave will pass, and we'll get back to some better animation.

We've still not seen an actual animation sequence from She-Ra, so I hopefully it'll not be too bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2018 22:09 - 20 May 2018 22:09 #59554 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I, too, thought that Thundercats image was a joke.  Like "WTF?" LOL :D

Peace.

/K

P.S.  Samurai Jack was awesome and totally worked for the tone and story it was telling.
Last edit: 20 May 2018 22:09 by kikass2014.

More
10 Sep 2018 15:49 #61026 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
And here is first-look teaser:

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChaozCloud, fats, TwiceOnThursdays

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Sep 2018 16:37 - 10 Sep 2018 16:37 #61028 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
Pass.  Next please.

Thank you for sharing Lfan.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 10 Sep 2018 16:37 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX

More
10 Sep 2018 17:23 #61029 by lfan
I hear ya.....just passing it along.  Not really digging the "Japanese Magical Girl" treatment and oversimplified animation style right from the get-go....

ElF

kikass2014 wrote: Pass.  Next please.

Thank you for sharing Lfan.

Peace.

/K

The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Sep 2018 17:42 #61030 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
Think they had enough echo in that "god-voice"?  

Age of the primary demographic:  4-6 years. 

I would have loved it in 1952..

Now...even my youngest grand-kids are too old for this. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
10 Sep 2018 18:23 #61031 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I'll check out the first couple of episodes. Could be a fun thing.

More
10 Sep 2018 19:33 #61032 by TwiceOnThursdays
I think it worked better when I saw the animation.  I'm going to hold off judgment until I see it all in full context.  I definitely watch (or start watching) the first episode to see how it is.  Everyone else seems really down on this, and it's not like I don't see the problems.  I too wish the animation was better.  But it is what it is.  She-Ra is buffer than I expected her to be, she looks pretty good in the frames where she's smacking her hands together.

I liked the voice acting on Alara/She-Ra.    A little bit shouty on the last note of Greyskull, but we'll see how it fits with the show.  That line is supposed to be over the top, it was fairly sedate in the original (compare to He-Man's "I HAVE THE POWER!".)

On a different token, there is a documentary called "Power Of Greyskull" on netflix about the history of He-Man (and some about She-Ra).  I found it much more interesting than I expected too.  The story of how Battlecat came about just makes me laugh.

They interview JMS a bit (co-creator of She-Ra, Babylon 5, etc).  And I found out that an author I like Barbara Hambly wrote for She-Ra.

There were a bunch of comments on how She-Ra wasn't allowed to punch anyone.  (The writers thought it was stupid that she couldn't.)

More
10 Sep 2018 19:39 #61033 by lfan

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I think it worked better when I saw the animation.  I'm going to hold off judgment until I see it all in full context.  I definitely watch (or start watching) the first episode to see how it is.  Everyone else seems really down on this, and it's not like I don't see the problems.  I too wish the animation was better.  But it is what it is.  She-Ra is buffer than I expected her to be, she looks pretty good in the frames where she's smacking her hands together.

I liked the voice acting on Alara/She-Ra.    A little bit shouty on the last note of Greyskull, but we'll see how it fits with the show.  That line is supposed to be over the top, it was fairly sedate in the original (compare to He-Man's "I HAVE THE POWER!".)

On a different token, there is a documentary called "Power Of Greyskull" on netflix about the history of He-Man (and some about She-Ra).  I found it much more interesting than I expected too.  The story of how Battlecat came about just makes me laugh.

They interview JMS a bit (co-creator of She-Ra, Babylon 5, etc).  And I found out that an author I like Barbara Hambly wrote for She-Ra.

There were a bunch of comments on how She-Ra wasn't allowed to punch anyone.  (The writers thought it was stupid that she couldn't.)

ToT....totally agree that it looked better in animated form than those screen shots.  I didn't really care for the transformation looking so Sailor Moon-ish though.  I thought the same thing on the voice actress.  She sounded pretty good and very animated (no pun intended) during the clip.  I'll give it a looksee before I indict it....
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Sep 2018 20:59 #61034 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I am going to fall back on a statement I made in another thread.
It is 2018 now, we have access to the most powerful computers ever made.
Animation should be moving forward.
Not backwards.
"It is what it is." just does not cut it for me.

This is not a Fan Made project.
There is real money behind this.
The Producers are just cheap, have no respect for the audience and i am not buying.
There is a world full of animation from the 1940s to the present day that is way better than this that I have not seen yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, SCOTT R, kikass2014

More
10 Sep 2018 23:11 #61039 by TwiceOnThursdays

Markiehoe wrote: I am going to fall back on a statement I made in another thread.
It is 2018 now, we have access to the most powerful computers ever made.
Animation should be moving forward.
Not backwards.
"It is what it is." just does not cut it for me.

This is not a Fan Made project.
There is real money behind this.
The Producers are just cheap, have no respect for the audience and i am not buying.
There is a world full of animation from the 1940s to the present day that is way better than this that I have not seen yet.

I admire your passion.

What i meant by "it is waht it is" is that nothing we say/do/complain about is going to alter what is delivered.   It is what it is.  We simply get the choice to watch/not watch.  (and discuss naturally.)  Got no problem with that, it's 100% as it should be.

What I take exception to is you ascribing movies to the producers.  They are "cheap" and "have no respect for the audience".

Do you know this for a fact or are you just upset that they created something you don't like and therefore they are stupid/bad?

Others seem to like what is made (not here, other places on the web).  If something is being made that people LIKE then it's not probably not being done with no respect for an audience.

(To be fair we don't REALLY know if people like this until they see it.)

This is ENTIRELY othogonal about your comments on animation BTW.  They cover some of the same ground but are not related.

Or do you know something specific about the producers (heard some actual gossip)?

More
11 Sep 2018 00:19 #61042 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I have no inside information.

Hollywood is a business just like any other.
A time tested business model goes like this.
Produce a product for as cheaply as possible and sell it for as much as possible.
This is exactly what these producers/ businessmen have done.
Art has very little to do with it.

More
11 Sep 2018 00:43 #61044 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I agree that there is little excuse under current technology to not make better animation.

That being said, if this is going to be marketed not to adults but to children you prop in front of the TV, I'm not certain that spending extra money on quality animation is going to matter.

I remember both of these when they came out but by then I was working and past the cartoon stage.  Having tried to re-watch the old ones on Netflix - they aren't exactly examples of quality writing or animation.  Set up episode, bit of humor, transformation to She-Ra, beat up stupid over-stereotyped and incompetent bad guys, bit of humor and resolution all fit in slightly over 20 minutes between commercials.

I'll give this one a look when it comes out, but my expectation is that if it's like the original and geared for children, it's likely not going to be written well enough to be binge-worthy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RD

More
11 Sep 2018 05:02 #61055 by RD
Replied by RD on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
It's strange to think of going for a younger demographic than the original, but perhaps Netflix sees a gap in their current offerings and is trying to squeeze this into those parameters. It's not what I'd like to see but hopefully it will do well enough for them to want to expand on the idea... perhaps upgrade the animation budget or perhaps look to expand the target audience in the future.

One detail I caught... apparently there will be more than one princess ... "She-Ra and the Princesses of Power".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starforge

More
12 Sep 2018 04:06 - 12 Sep 2018 04:07 #61073 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
If people buy and/or watch lousy animation, then they are creating a market for it and more of the same will come. 

That said, the times you do see animation quality make large jumps, it's not because of pull (audience demand) but rather due to push from someone influential who can convince the studios to take a big risk on a big investment. Also the availability of enough computer power at the right price.  Example: Avatar. 

Progress is only made because there are designers and programmers and artists who are passionate about quality, and that's what they've chosen to make their life's work. Thank goodness for those who fight (and they really have to fight) to advance the state-of-the-art.

Shadar
Last edit: 12 Sep 2018 04:07 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jabbrwock, RD

• shadar
More
12 Sep 2018 12:09 #61078 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
Voice acting aside, I'm not going to write this one off straight away, but I think that Adore looks way better than She-Ra in this incarnation. I think it's the fact that they tried to make She-Ra way too etheral with the crazy hair and the extremely bright highlights, whereas Adora looks more solid, more real.

More
16 Sep 2018 15:02 #61163 by Mynn
Replied by Mynn on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
While I am quite encouraged by the build of this new She-Ra, I am reserving judgement until I see how Adora's personality is like.

I agree with Woodclaw, her voice in the trailer sounds a bit forced and unnatural, but again, reserving judgement until the product comes out. I really want to see her succeed. 

• Mynn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Sep 2018 19:53 #61169 by marcoasalazarm2
Replied by marcoasalazarm2 on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I don't mind the Magical Girl transformation as long as she kicks ass. She's got a sword and super-strength and the writers of the original couldn't write her punching people because of weird censorship that I guess won't be enforced in a Netflix show, even if they go for an "all audiences" project.

Yeah, count me in on the "will wait until I actually see the show" camp.

More
07 Oct 2018 21:51 #61492 by jyache
Replied by jyache on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
Trailer for the She-Ra reboot :

More
08 Oct 2018 02:41 #61493 by RD
Replied by RD on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I like the humor. Could be fun, but I'm not holding onto much hope beyond this.

More
08 Oct 2018 05:33 #61494 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
... I just... just can't get over how her face as She-Ra is just drawn way too poorly for my taste; she actually looks more feminine as Adora.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RD

More
09 Oct 2018 16:58 #61508 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I notice there's no mention of He-Man in the trailer.  Looks like this time She-Ra will be the main event.

More
09 Oct 2018 18:11 #61509 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
I always wanted to see Adam hand Adora her sword and say 'just hold it up, and say this...'

'Wh...What? That sounds ridiculous!! "

"Just try it sis"

"Umm...ok...what was it again?..FOR THE HONOUR OF"
and a legend is born. Pity she never got her own movie like him 

More
09 Oct 2018 18:22 #61510 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works

Monty wrote: I always wanted to see Adam hand Adora her sword and say 'just hold it up, and say this...'

'Wh...What? That sounds ridiculous!! "

"Just try it sis"

"Umm...ok...what was it again?..FOR THE HONOUR OF"
and a legend is born. Pity she never got her own movie like him 

That's not actually that different from the origin of Mary Marvel in Wow comics.  I hope they put Mary in a movie or TV show.  I figured she'd be a shoo-in for at least one guest appearance on Supergirl, but it hasn't happened yet

More
15 Nov 2018 19:21 #62041 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic She-Ra Reboot in Works
Not sure if people forgot about this or just stopped caring.

But hey, the show is out and is actually decent.

It's not an action show, so don't expect She-Ra to do a lot of ass kicking. Interesting thing I didn't notice in the trailers is that She-Ra is pretty darn big.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Agent00Soul

More
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds