Amount

Huge , Huge superwoman news!

24 Jul 2018 07:12 #60323 by andyf
Huge , Huge superwoman news! was created by andyf
Buffy The Vampire Slayer tv reboot with Joss Whedon involved as a producer.. I'm surprised nobody here has posted about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2018 08:28 #60324 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!

andyf wrote: Buffy The Vampire Slayer tv reboot with Joss Whedon involved as a producer.. I'm surprised nobody here has posted about it.

I've read it was in the works, but since it's way to early to know anything I'm waiting until we know more.

More
24 Jul 2018 10:54 #60327 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!
I've heard.  Tbh, if its just another "vampire slayer" set in that universe, I'm fine with it.

If it is LITERALLY Buffy (i.e. the main character is called Buffy), then no.  There is only one Buffy and that was Sarah Michelle Geller.

Buffy was a phenomenon at the time (less so now imo), with a great cast of characters and some truly imaginative television writing.  Who can forget Hush and Once More with Feeling?

I don't think they can capture that again, so why try.

Carry on telling stories IN that universe if you want, but Buffy to me isn't like Dr. Who or James Bond, a character you can recast.  Sure, "...the Vampire Slayer" as shown in the series finale, can be anyone, so just go with that.

Leave Buffy alone :D

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
24 Jul 2018 12:39 - 24 Jul 2018 12:45 #60330 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!
It would be great to have Sarah Michelle Gellar re-cast as Buffy, but it must be more than 20 years and time takes it's toll :(

(I doubt she would be interested anyway)

I agree, let Buffy be as a legend and let a totally new character inherit her powers.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 12:45 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, kikass2014

More
24 Jul 2018 12:52 #60331 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!
Just Google Sarah Michelle Gellar.
She still looks great and is in great shape

More
24 Jul 2018 13:07 - 24 Jul 2018 13:15 #60332 by Monty
Perhaps have Sarah Michelle return as an overseer / mother to her teenage daughter, similar to Helen Slater in SG?

(E.T.A. but passing on her powers, rather than just being the powerless Earth mum Helen plays)
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 13:15 by Monty.

More
24 Jul 2018 13:41 #60333 by kikass2014
Yup, Geller still looks great :)  Still got that "Buffy" look, if a little older now (not a complaint :P)

I'm not sure she would be interested in reprising the role (though I haven't read anything about it tbh).  I think she does voice over work.  Both her and her husband (Freddie Prinze Jnr) work on Clone Wars (or Rebels?  can't remember which of the SW cartoons they do).

in terms of "passing on her powers", theres no need.  Every slayer who could possibly be a slayer, had their own powers unleashed.  Buffy didn't lose hers, others just gained :)

So if she were to come back as a "mentor"-type figure, she would be fully-powered up Buffy :D 

Peace.

/K

More
24 Jul 2018 15:07 - 27 Jul 2018 14:08 #60335 by Monty

kikass2014 wrote: Yup, Geller still looks great :)  Still got that "Buffy" look, if a little older now (not a complaint :P)

I'm not sure she would be interested in reprising the role (though I haven't read anything about it tbh).  I think she does voice over work.  Both her and her husband (Freddie Prinze Jnr) work on Clone Wars (or Rebels?  can't remember which of the SW cartoons they do).

in terms of "passing on her powers", theres no need.  Every slayer who could possibly be a slayer, had their own powers unleashed.  Buffy didn't lose hers, others just gained :)

So if she were to come back as a "mentor"-type figure, she would be fully-powered up Buffy :D 

Peace.

/K

Avril Lavigne as Buffy's daughter?Surely!

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 27 Jul 2018 14:08 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
24 Jul 2018 15:31 - 24 Jul 2018 15:33 #60336 by kikass2014
Haha indeed :)  Back in her day, Avril did resemble Geller a hell of a lot :)  I especially laughed at the theory that she (Avril) was dead and replaced by a clone :D 

Today though, the Sk8ter Boi singer looks a little different:

celebmafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/0...-beverly-hills-0.jpg

And going out with a billionaire if I remember right :)

Personally, I think Lili Reinhart (Betty on Riverdale) looks close to how Buffy looked :) (and is also one of the main reason to watch the show lol :D)

This image is hidden for guests.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 15:33 by kikass2014.

More
26 Jul 2018 20:36 #60358 by Gargamel
Replied by Gargamel on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!
Last I heard they gonna cast a black actress for the role. Could be false rumors ofcourse but I'm hyped either way. It's not going to be a Buffy-Copy hopefully as no good reboot is. But it can still be a fun watch - can't wait.

More
26 Jul 2018 21:53 - 26 Jul 2018 21:56 #60359 by kikass2014

Last I heard they gonna cast a black actress for the role.

Yup that is true.

The debate though is whether that character will be called "Buffy", or just be another vampire slayer with stories set in that universe.

I haven't heard any mention which way they are going with that tbh.

If its simply black Buffy, Hispanic Giles and Asian Willow - why bother?  Who will the audience be?  Would you risk pissing off the large established Buffy/Angel crowd?

If they choose to go with "just another slayer", I think that would be the preferable course, as there is established cannon for this.  If they don't, then I think most will see it as just riding the coattails of the Buffy brand, and the show will sink like a lead balloon.

The situation reminds me of Mark Millar and his decision to "reboot" Kickass with, if i remember right, a female, mother as the new Kickass.  BUT he is not changing Kickass.  It is a new story, in the same universe. 

Which makes sense.  Hopefully the execs on this Buffy show go with that line of thinking too.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 26 Jul 2018 21:56 by kikass2014.

More
27 Jul 2018 09:17 #60374 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!

kikass2014 wrote:

Last I heard they gonna cast a black actress for the role.

Yup that is true.

The debate though is whether that character will be called "Buffy", or just be another vampire slayer with stories set in that universe.

I haven't heard any mention which way they are going with that tbh.

If its simply black Buffy, Hispanic Giles and Asian Willow - why bother?  Who will the audience be?  Would you risk pissing off the large established Buffy/Angel crowd?

If they choose to go with "just another slayer", I think that would be the preferable course, as there is established cannon for this.  If they don't, then I think most will see it as just riding the coattails of the Buffy brand, and the show will sink like a lead balloon.

The situation reminds me of Mark Millar and his decision to "reboot" Kickass with, if i remember right, a female, mother as the new Kickass.  BUT he is not changing Kickass.  It is a new story, in the same universe. 

Which makes sense.  Hopefully the execs on this Buffy show go with that line of thinking too.

Peace.

/K

At this point rumors are flying all over the place. Lots of people hopes that this will be a sequel, rather thana reboot. Some even went so far as suggesting that Whedon might incorporate the "comic-only seasons", where Buffy basically became Supergirl.

More
27 Jul 2018 18:07 #60380 by kikass2014
According to the show runner and writer Monica Owusu-Breen, it will be a SEQUEL now, rather then a reboot.

"There is only one Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel … They can’t be replaced. Joss Whedon’s brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated. I wouldn’t try to.... it could be time to meet a new Slayer … And that’s all I can say.”

(source: www.darkhorizons.com/buffy-reboot-showru...-addresses-backlash/)

Looks like the backlash was felt and the course has been changed.

Having new stories with a new slayer in that universe makes sense, and there is cannon for it.  Which is fine.

Peace.

/K

P.S.  I post this before, but seems like the post has been deleted for some reason.

More
27 Jul 2018 21:32 #60386 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Huge , Huge superwoman news!

kikass2014 wrote: I've heard.  Tbh, if its just another "vampire slayer" set in that universe, I'm fine with it.

If it is LITERALLY Buffy (i.e. the main character is called Buffy), then no.  There is only one Buffy and that was Sarah Michelle Geller.

Buffy was a phenomenon at the time (less so now imo), with a great cast of characters and some truly imaginative television writing.  Who can forget Hush and Once More with Feeling?
/K

I agree with you.

But, I'm also laughing at this because Sarah IS the remake.  The original Buffy is Kristy Swanson. Which i'm also aware that you're probably aware of too! I just find the "no remakes!" ironic on a remake.  Even when I agree with you.

Though from what I understand Sarah is closer to what Joss originally wanted than the movie was, and it really shows TV's strength vs what a movie can do.

I really don't get remakes when there is nothing technically wrong with the original source.  You either do a Johnny Cash cover Hurt ... take the original and do something new, or remake the original only since there is better technology and _the technology can help tell the story_ then you can just try to redo the same thing. (I have a similar feeling about live action Jungle Book/Mulan/Aladdin .. ain't nothing wrong with the original animated version!)

Remake the TV show w/o altering it and showing something significantly new in the material?  Stupid.

But also the original is SO GOOD that it's pretty hard to do that.  It's much easier to do that with a five minute song than a season(s) of a TV Show.

As Buffy shows, it's FAR easier to take a movie and turn it into a TV show.

It's like thinking ... when are they going to re-make Game of Thrones?  It aught to be only when there is finally some amazing leap in technology (smell/virtual reality immersion).  But history says "no, it's going to be remade some time before that..."  Fortunately we won't get Back to the Future remakes until Zemeckis dies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds