Amount

Titans

26 Nov 2018 21:24 #62146 by jyache
Titans was created by jyache
Episode 8 : Wonder girl

I'm surprised that nobody speaking about this TV series ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, steelknight3000, Slim0926

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jyache
  • jyache's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2018 23:10 #62148 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Titans
Maybe the reason why hardly anybody here talks about Titans is,, because few if any, members here subscribe to DC Universe?

More
27 Nov 2018 00:15 #62150 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Titans
It's on netflix in EU.
I myself lost all interest after the initial trailer and have not bothered to look at it.

More
27 Nov 2018 00:31 #62151 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Titans
The trailer completely turned me off.
It is exclusive on DC Universe where I live and I have no intention of paying for another streaming service.
I can get the exact same type of show on the CW for free.

More
27 Nov 2018 00:56 - 27 Nov 2018 00:58 #62152 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Titans

Markiehoe wrote: The trailer completely turned me off.
It is exclusive on DC Universe where I live and I have no intention of paying for another streaming service.

while you still wouldn't like it for the profanity probably, it is FAR, FAR from a CW show in my opinion.   Far darker than anything in CW's arsenal and nothing light and fuzzy about it.

that being said, I really like it -- Markie, you'd actually love the Doom patrol episode.   The vitriol directed at the promo stills of Starfire are a distant memory, and she looks great in the series.   Her questionable choice of dress in the stills is on purpose based on her situation.  Yet another example of fanboys' "Fire, Ready, Aim" mentality.

elF
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 00:58 by lfan.

More
27 Nov 2018 00:59 #62153 by lfan

jyache wrote: Episode 8 : Wonder girl

still somewhat undetermined whether it'll be Wonder Girl or Trois.   Hope the former....

More
27 Nov 2018 02:11 #62154 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Titans
I've been keeping up with it.  I like it so far.  

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Nov 2018 05:05 #62157 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Titans
I mean to watch this .... but I've not been watching any tv.  (sordid stupid story.)

I only just now started back up and I'm the entire season of CW shows behind (I even missed E1 of Supergirl this year), Only a few episodes into Sabrina, _and_ I need to watch Titans.

(I did like She-Ra, I watched those on my computer because they were short and fun.)

But I suspected that the inital trailers didn't do Titans justice and always meant to take a look at it.  I'll probably have to get some more CW shows down so they don't roll off the CW app and then binge on Titans (or finish Sabrina THEN binge on titans).

More
27 Nov 2018 05:46 #62158 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic Titans

lfan wrote:

Markiehoe wrote: The trailer completely turned me off.

while you still wouldn't like it for the profanity probably, it is FAR, FAR from a CW show in my opinion.   Far darker than anything in CW's arsenal and nothing light and fuzzy about it.

that being said, I really like it -- Markie, you'd actually love the Doom patrol episode.   The vitriol directed at the promo stills of Starfire are a distant memory, and she looks great in the series.   Her questionable choice of dress in the stills is on purpose based on her situation.  Yet another example of fanboys' "Fire, Ready, Aim" mentality.

elF

It is a good show and definitely not family friendly.  The Dick Grayson story arc is amazing and seeing Doom Patrol in live action was so much fun.  

Hiwever, I still can’t stand how they portrayed Starfire.  Frankly, not that interesting a character either.

More
27 Nov 2018 06:46 - 27 Nov 2018 06:49 #62159 by Avalian
Replied by Avalian on topic Titans
In Canada it's exclusive to DC Universe... but also DC has yet to make DC Universe available in Canada. So it's unavailable because they "Have definite plans to extend DC Universe into Canada at some future time", so they won't give anyone else license to show the exclusive shows.

A correction: they've now announced it's included in their deal with Netflix to add it to Netflix Canada - but they won't give any indication of a release date.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 06:49 by Avalian.

More
27 Nov 2018 13:31 #62163 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Titans
[quote="lfan" post=62152 Markie, you'd actually love the Doom patrol episode.  

elF[/quote]

I saw some stills from the Doom Patrol episode and it did look like something I would like.

In this Wondergirl video Starfire still looks like a trainwreck.
I feel sorry for the actress, she is just doing what she is asked to do and working with bad material.
Not her fault.

More
27 Nov 2018 14:37 - 27 Nov 2018 14:38 #62166 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: [quote="lfan" post=62152 Markie, you'd actually love the Doom patrol episode.  

elF

I saw some stills from the Doom Patrol episode and it did look like something I would like.

In this Wondergirl video Starfire still looks like a trainwreck.
I feel sorry for the actress, she is just doing what she is asked to do and working with bad material.
Not her fault.[/quote]

In their defense, I would surmise that Starfire, as a character, was/is a nightmare to pull of on a TV budget.  There is no way to get a comic-esque feel to her and her powers (e.g. the 'extending' hair, orange skin) done without EXTENSIVE cgi work.  Couple that with the traditional bikini outfit that would not standup to the laws of normal word physics, and you have to make some concessions.

Without spoilers, so far they've taken a lot of poetic license with the character and her background that differentiates her a bit from her comic counterpart.  The purple satin dress and fur coat shown in still and brief clips DOES make her look like a hooker, but if you watch the first few episodes, it makes more sense and now doesn't seem ridiculous at all.  Anna Diop, the actress, I think does a great job with the character and is one of the best performances in the group.

Not keen on the SFX when she uses her powers either, but it is what it is......

ElF
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 14:38 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
27 Nov 2018 17:07 - 27 Nov 2018 22:01 #62172 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Titans
To be fair, the animated Starfire from the two Teen Titans series is also very different from her comic book counterpart.  I would daresay that this cartoon version is actually the definitive Starfire for most people since so many more watch TV than read comics.

I think DC attempted to bridge the gap by bringing in Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti to work their usual light-hearted magic in the Starfire comic book series.  
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 22:01 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shevek

More
27 Nov 2018 21:49 #62175 by cbaby
Replied by cbaby on topic Titans
I'm rather enjoying it. Some of the episodes haven't been A1 but I'm certainly liking it more than this season of supergirl.  Perhaps because it's a little darker and less preachy than SG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
30 Nov 2018 14:56 #62191 by lfan

lfan wrote:

jyache wrote: Episode 8 : Wonder girl

still somewhat undetermined whether it'll be Wonder Girl or Trois.   Hope the former....

And she is Wonder Girl!  Good episode, not much in terms of action but they are definitely digging in with DC canon with mentions of the Justice League, Batman, Joker, and Wonder Woman in this episode.  I liked the interaction with Donna and Dick which is showcased in this episode.  Without giving too much away, we WILL see Donna again (although maybe not in the next episode as it looks like its gonna slide back to Hawk & Dove with their origin story)

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
01 Dec 2018 21:01 #62196 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Titans
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wotan45

• Sarge395
More
16 Dec 2018 23:15 #62324 by TwiceOnThursdays
I watched up to the Doom Patrol Episode. I only stopped as I watched with a friend and found it extra enjoyable to watch w/ company so I'll probably hold off until he gets some more free time to watch the rest.

So far I have to say that i like it.  It's not the Titans TV show that I'd have made, nor are these the Titans characters from when I read Wolfmand and Perez, but they are _a_ version of the Titans, and so far I'm digging it.

It's a lot more violent and has some straight on horror element feel to it at times. I think they used Raven as the backbone of the show, and in that light re-worked Dick Grayson to be darker and have some anger management issues (etc).  When _Hawk_ is telling you that you're out of control ....

in other words the horror barometer from Raven was used to make equally upsetting uses of violence.

I have to say that it gives the show a different feel from other Super hero TV shows.  It's darker and the violence is deadly.  The protagonists kill people, but it doesn't feel like Synder's "I couldn't figure out how to tell a Superman story until he killed someone" ... it feels more like they were looking for hooks and a way to be different and this is what they settled on.

It's not up to the caliber of Logan, but it's dark tone is unique.  It's not the unrelenting grey depression from some of the DC movies.   I do hope that Gar will add some more levity to the show.

Even the "Fuck Batman" line plays much better in the actual show vs the trailer.  Grayson is a broken man.  The Young Justice Batman would feel abject failure over this Dick Grayson (and I wonder if they're going to deal with that).

As as aside, I really love the Animated Adventures of Batman's Batman, but the Young Justice Batman is a great harder version of that ... while still having a hidden gooey core of caring.   So far Titans is going a job of NOT having us hear Alfred talk, and we've gotten on line from a dream of Bruce talking and some silouettes of Bruce.  It feels a bit weird.  Did not one actually talk to the new adopted kid?... it certainly was portrayed that way .. but it also feeds into the same horror tone, dealing with fragmented portrayals of reality and showing the emotional reality as the physical reality.  ABSOLUTLY Alfred and Bruce talked to young Dick .. but to young Dick it didn't get through and didn't FEEL that way.  So when he remembers it ... he doesn't remember them.

I don't like the Power special effects for Starfire, but it's probably easier to do that way.  So far I'm going to let them slide on the changes to Starfire and let things roll.  The light-hearted Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon wouldn't fit here.

Raven's special effects aren't quite what I'd expect, but it works within the show and conveys the horror element.  Her killing a guy in one of the first episodes is straight-up gruesome.   Teagan Croft does a really good job of being the Raven the show wants.  She's probably going to go pretty far considering she's only 14 now.   Hiring an _actual_ teenager to play a teenager?  Holy shit.

I really liked Dove.  Minka Kelly is dead sexy ... though she doesn't quite look right with Dove's hair color that's me quibbling.   Grayson's fight scenes are pretty good to me ... Hawk and Dove's aren't up to the same standard.  (Makes sense).   I can't wait to actually see Donna Troy, so much so I'm actually NOT going to watch the clip as I want to see the episode.

I REALLY enjoyed the Doom Patrol episode.  They nailed the Chief.  Negative Man and Robotman are not how I remember them, but both are so fun that it does't matter.  The casting for both worked really well.  I'm not sure about how well the TV show is going to be ... but I did leave the episode wanting to see more of them.

Also, I lay odds the Chief is holding a grudge.

TL;DR: I have to say: I enjoyed this. It's not light-hearted like Legends, but it's still fun despite being dark.  Supergil OTH, I'm catching up with it and it feels like a bad trip to me.   I don't feel better after watching it, I feel worse, and I fast forward wthough scenes.  It isn't how I want brainiac portrayed, but I like him and he's really the only bright point in this season for me.  (I haven't got to Elseworlds yet.)  After/during watching Titans I was drawn in and had a great time.

More
29 Jan 2019 23:19 - 29 Jan 2019 23:19 #62759 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Titans
Our first look at Donna Troy(as played by Conor Leslie) in her Wonder Girl uniform.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 23:19 by murdough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Woodclaw, Artnico, jyache, SCOTT R, Slim0926

More
11 Apr 2019 20:32 #63708 by murdough
So this was just announced. Good actor, so it'll be interesting to see his take on the character.

www.cbr.com/dc-universe-titans-bruce-wayne-iain-glen/
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
11 Apr 2019 21:54 #63710 by TwiceOnThursdays

murdough wrote: So this was just announced. Good actor, so it'll be interesting to see his take on the character.

www.cbr.com/dc-universe-titans-bruce-wayne-iain-glen/

i think this is a great choice.  He can play shades of dark and broken really well with a core of honor.

More
12 Apr 2019 02:55 #63711 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Titans
He is a solid actor so this should be good choice. Fingers crossed.

More
06 Aug 2019 16:10 #64771 by murdough
Newly released trailer for season 2

The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, aguilauno, Slim0926

More
12 Aug 2019 17:57 #64789 by murdough
It's been confirmed that the Titans will be appearing in Crisis on Infinite Earths 

More
12 Aug 2019 18:35 #64790 by TwiceOnThursdays

murdough wrote: It's been confirmed that the Titans will be appearing in Crisis on Infinite Earths 

Wow, that's going to be one busy show if that's true.  Not that this is a bad thing, it's just making it a crossover that is much bigger than the shows it's coming from, and unlike past CW crossovers, I bet it does mostly stop the flow of the shows during the crossover.  Past crossovers actually moved teh plot of each show forward in intersting ways -- by doing things like having characters from one show talk to characters from another and resolove problems they've been having (etc).   The CW crossovers have been a master-class on how to do crossovers correctly.

So I'm really interested in how this one is going to come out. (Though since Arrow is ending, it doesn't matter too much about messing up Arrow's flow...)

Now I'm wondering about Doom Patrol, though they're definately a stranger mix than the normal super hero show.

And STILL WAITING for Lucy Lawless as New Frontier Wonder Woman. ;-)

More
12 Aug 2019 21:01 - 12 Aug 2019 21:02 #64791 by murdough
I stand corrected, the Titans won't be joining the fun in December

www.cbr.com/rumor-crisis-on-infinite-earths-titans/
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 21:02 by murdough.

More
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds