Amount

Netflix axes Marvel shows Jessica Jones and The Punisher

18 Feb 2019 19:32 #62906 by fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Feb 2019 19:52 #62907 by Revan
Sad news but expected. Disney is taking back IP's in preparation for its own streaming platform. 

It's a bit hypocritical from Marvel to state 'their network partner' decided to pull the plug. I highly doubt Netflix decided to kill a few cash cows. 

More
18 Feb 2019 21:50 #62915 by willow
Pretty much knew this was coming as soon as they cancelled Daredevil. It is unfortunate that the shows could not simply transfer to the new Disney streaming platform rather than outright cancellation. Like how the Expanse moved from SyFy Channel to Amazon Prime.

More
18 Feb 2019 23:15 #62916 by Woodclaw

willow wrote: Pretty much knew this was coming as soon as they cancelled Daredevil. It is unfortunate that the shows could not simply transfer to the new Disney streaming platform rather than outright cancellation. Like how the Expanse moved from SyFy Channel to Amazon Prime.

I think that there's more to that. Right now Kevin Feige has taken control of the TV half of the Marvel productions as well, so my guess is that he's trying to tie up all the loose ends and prepare for a relaunch of sort.

More
18 Feb 2019 23:19 #62918 by shadar
Makes we wonder how many different streaming services we're going to have to subscribe to in order to watch all the genre material. Every studio is going to want to directly market their material to control their profits. 

For sure:
Disney
Netflix
Amazon

Probably: 
Apple
Hulu

Undoubtably more I'm not thinking of. Every one wants a few bucks a month. On the other hand, I've stopped going to theaters, so it probably evens out. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Feb 2019 23:30 #62919 by Revan
Luckily you can just rotate through services, no need to stay subscribed non stop. I only have Netflix account active non stop in part because I have an army of leeches on the account :D

Aside from that I sub one month when a service has a few things I want to see. I don't always get to see stuff as soon as it is released but that doesn't bother me. 

More
19 Feb 2019 04:10 #62920 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Netflix axes Marvel shows Jessica Jones and The Punisher

shadar wrote: Makes we wonder how many different streaming services we're going to have to subscribe to in order to watch all the genre material. Every studio is going to want to directly market their material to control their profits. 

For sure:
Disney
Netflix
Amazon

Probably: 
Apple
Hulu

Undoubtably more I'm not thinking of. Every one wants a few bucks a month. On the other hand, I've stopped going to theaters, so it probably evens out. 

Shadar

Apple sorta horks me off.   They aren't paying enough attention to their computer stuff (and barely iOS) and instead are off gallavanting making TV Shows and trying to make a car.   We'll see if they can hack hollywood like they did the cell phone industry.  (I have my doubts.)

Add DC Comics for Titans, Young Justice S3, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, and Stargirl.

CBS has their own too which is why i've never watched Star Trek Discovery.

These days I don't have cable, so HBO (and Showtime though I don't have any need yet) are streaming services to me.   HBO saw all this on the wall years ago.  Most people don't grok the difference between HBO and say USA, FX, or network TV.   A show is a success on HBO if it gets you to keep your subscription up for another month.   A show on just about any other network makes 90% of it's money on first showing and thus letting it to got other venues doesn't lose value for the network.  That's not true for HBO.   Netflix operates on the same model that HBO does.  All the other streaming services will too.  instead of a hot show with a lot of ratings to pull in advertisers,they want a steady stream of shows that are just good enough to keep you paying the $X/month for one more month -- or findi it too much of a hassle to turn it off and then turning it back on in two months when the next show you WANT to watch comes out.

THere are a host of minor ones Acorn, some BBC-specific streaming (britbox is one).

Not to mention various anime streaming (Crunchyroll/VRV or one of the alternatives).  I got rooked into this one as there were a few anime that I wanted to finish and it also let me watch Magical Girl Spec-ops Asuka.  A surprise is that VRV has Killjoys which a friend tells me is hella fun, so I get to stream those while binging on anime.

I do suppose I could turn it on some of these for a month and watch, and then turn it off.  That's about the only way I'd ever do CBS Streaming.  Some day I'll try to binge Star Trek Discovery and see if it's worthwhile. I just have too many other things to watch that I'm already paying for...

I think i'll turn off VRV/Crunchyroll in a few months.  Currently it's a giant firehose of things I'm enjoying. Some of them really silly but in today's climate i'm finding "really silly" is something worthwhile.  

I'm not sure that an adult today with responsibilities can keep up anymore.  (And for me, add in comics and books,) I just have such a large stack that I don't think I'll ever catch up. I guess this is a good thing. 

I was going to try to see a bunch of movies in the theater but I think I need to give up that hope. I'll watch most movies either on opening night when it's something  I really need to see (Captain Marvel) or when it streams on some service I'm already paying for.

More
19 Feb 2019 04:47 #62921 by Starforge
Yep.  My understanding is that All movies going forward will not be on Netflix.  Ant Man 2 was the last.

More
19 Feb 2019 06:21 #62922 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

shadar wrote: Makes we wonder how many different streaming services we're going to have to subscribe to in order to watch all the genre material. Every studio is going to want to directly market their material to control their profits. 

For sure:
Disney
Netflix
Amazon

Probably: 
Apple
Hulu

Shadar

Apple sorta horks me off.   They aren't paying enough attention to their computer stuff (and barely iOS) and instead are off gallavanting making TV Shows and trying to make a car.   We'll see if they can hack hollywood like they did the cell phone industry.  (I have my doubts.)

Add DC Comics for Titans, Young Justice S3, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, and Stargirl.

CBS has their own too which is why i've never watched Star Trek Discovery.

These days I don't have cable, so HBO (and Showtime though I don't have any need yet) are streaming services to me.   HBO saw all this on the wall years ago.  Most people don't grok the difference between HBO and say USA, FX, or network TV.   A show is a success on HBO if it gets you to keep your subscription up for another month.   A show on just about any other network makes 90% of it's money on first showing and thus letting it to got other venues doesn't lose value for the network.  That's not true for HBO.   Netflix operates on the same model that HBO does.  All the other streaming services will too.  instead of a hot show with a lot of ratings to pull in advertisers,they want a steady stream of shows that are just good enough to keep you paying the $X/month for one more month -- or findi it too much of a hassle to turn it off and then turning it back on in two months when the next show you WANT to watch comes out.

THere are a host of minor ones Acorn, some BBC-specific streaming (britbox is one).

Not to mention various anime streaming (Crunchyroll/VRV or one of the alternatives).  I got rooked into this one as there were a few anime that I wanted to finish and it also let me watch Magical Girl Spec-ops Asuka.  A surprise is that VRV has Killjoys which a friend tells me is hella fun, so I get to stream those while binging on anime.

I do suppose I could turn it on some of these for a month and watch, and then turn it off.  That's about the only way I'd ever do CBS Streaming.  Some day I'll try to binge Star Trek Discovery and see if it's worthwhile. I just have too many other things to watch that I'm already paying for...

I think i'll turn off VRV/Crunchyroll in a few months.  Currently it's a giant firehose of things I'm enjoying. Some of them really silly but in today's climate i'm finding "really silly" is something worthwhile.  

I'm not sure that an adult today with responsibilities can keep up anymore.  (And for me, add in comics and books,) I just have such a large stack that I don't think I'll ever catch up. I guess this is a good thing. 

I was going to try to see a bunch of movies in the theater but I think I need to give up that hope. I'll watch most movies either on opening night when it's something  I really need to see (Captain Marvel) or when it streams on some service I'm already paying for.

Agree re: Apple. But I now see where they have larger, new design 16" Macbook Pros and a bunch of oither hardware coming.   Sounds like they figured out that they need to improve their traditional businesses now that its sinking in that the iPhone isn't going to drive the company like it was. Their streaming service won't be a big money maker, though. Even if it eventually rivals Neflix, it'll be a drop in the bucket. They're an insanely profitable hardware company. 

Good news is obviously that genre TV shows and movies are in abdundance. If you add up everything DC and Marvel are doing, plus the various SF-related shows, of which I'm always interested, I'm kind of saturated. But that sure beats the relative void we suffered through in the 90's and early 2000's.

Richer is always better than poorer. 

Now if we could just get some good Science Fiction combined with female superhumans, I'd be in heaven. Think Expanse with a libidinous Velorian-like crewmember taking on alien cyborgs who masquerade as superhumans. That would ring all my bells. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
19 Feb 2019 22:02 #62930 by The Highlander
Personally I'm not that attracted to any of the streaming services, I just don't find that much on them that I'm interested in. What I do is wait for a particular series (such as Jessica Jones) to come out, sign up for a month's trial, watch that series and anything else I come across and cancel before the end of the trial. I then repeat this as needed with a another email address.

Overall I'm happy with the BBC.

More
20 Feb 2019 02:38 #62938 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Netflix axes Marvel shows Jessica Jones and The Punisher
According to what I read Disney is not done with these characters, but Netflix is pulling the plug on Marvel to focus on internally produced shows and films.

Hope to see some good superwoman stuff for season 3.

More
20 Feb 2019 17:40 #62947 by Agent00Soul
I am sorry to see it go, but does anyone but me think the second season of Jessica Jones wasn't nearly as interesting as the first.  Season 1 had this bleak film noir/Edward Hopper vibe to almost every shot while season 2 struck me as a pretty straightforward NYC superhero show.  Not that interesting to look at.

Both seasons of Luke Cage, by contrast, were really beautiful.  Season 1 had a 70s Blacksploitation vibe going on and season 2 was all about the mod/ska look of the early 60s Caribbean.

More
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds