Amount

Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?

27 Dec 2020 15:36 #70085 by lfan
Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign? was created by lfan
speculation from a recent posting on the official Supergirl Twitter account teasing Odette’s possible return as Reign?

might be nothing, but, if true, would be great news.  Her performance was arguably one of the brightest spots in the CW’s run IMO. 

www.cbr.com/supergirl-poster-reign-season-6/

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Helstar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Dec 2020 15:53 #70087 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?
Odette has a recurring role on the CWs new Walker series, which films in Austin, Texas. 

More
29 Dec 2020 05:44 #70108 by clipfreak
Replied by clipfreak on topic Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?
Didn't she loose her powers at the end of season 3?

CW does that al the time basically resetting things to 'normal' :(

Except the one time they forgot in S4, with the mother of eve. As far i've seen they never removed the black kryptonite from her.

More
04 Jan 2021 19:41 #70163 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?
The problem with Supergirl is that the show has cheapened her power level. You need fantastic writing to have a God powered being struggle every episode. So the writers decided weaken her, and give everyone powers at her level.

The only season where I felt Supergirl almost got it right was with Reign. Glad to see she’ll be back.

More
04 Jan 2021 20:02 #70164 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?
It isn't just CW that reduces powers for plot flexibility. It's done everywhere over time, especially for superheroines. Look at WW84. I can only imagine that in Captain Marvel 2, Carol will be greatly downpowered for plot reasons, and then maybe briefly boosted to win, or perhaps she'll have help from some male superheroes. 

I'll never forget how the Supergirl comics of the 70's had Kara's powers keep glitching out on her to make the story interesting. And often men filled in the gaps to help her when she was weak. I thought that sucked at the time. Still do. It wasn't a portrayal fit for a Kryptonian. 

It's also a cultural phenomena that we should have left behind in the 20th Century. You know, that women are supposed to need help from stronger men. /S

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Jan 2021 21:13 #70165 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?
I think WW in the comics during the 70s also had her powers taken away.  She became a spy or something if I remember right.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, kevm2111

More
06 Jan 2021 03:29 #70177 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl S6: Forecast for Reign?

shadar wrote: It isn't just CW that reduces powers for plot flexibility. It's done everywhere over time, especially for superheroines. Look at WW84. I can only imagine that in Captain Marvel 2, Carol will be greatly downpowered for plot reasons, and then maybe briefly boosted to win, or perhaps she'll have help from some male superheroes. 

I'll never forget how the Supergirl comics of the 70's had Kara's powers keep glitching out on her to make the story interesting. And often men filled in the gaps to help her when she was weak. I thought that sucked at the time. Still do. It wasn't a portrayal fit for a Kryptonian. 

It's also a cultural phenomena that we should have left behind in the 20th Century. You know, that women are supposed to need help from stronger men. /S

Shadar

The supergirl thing was horrible.

It's a very overused plot point for female characters in general. Superman loses his powers all the time but gets them back end of issue or the next issue. Supergirl glitches for a year.  Power Girl has had mulitple times where her powers gave her problems.  Let's not get started on Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel, she is right up there with PG.  She's even on permanent down power from Binary and she has to absorb a shitload of energy to get back there now.  (which is the MCU cop-out if they need it.)

And WW not only lost her powers for a while, when she got them back, she had to go through Trials to prove herself worthy of re-joining the JLA!

OTH, losing her powers is part of the original mythos of WW.  If a man chained her bracers she lost her powers.  I don't remember when this went away but it's been a loooong time.  I'm sure that it didn't survive the Perez reboot, but I think it was gone before that.  (I did like the WW learning. how to fly sequence in the movie.)

About the only major male character, this happens to is Captain America (who might have the record).   (And a few other one-offs, or C-Level characters w/o monthly books.  Like Banner wasn't hulk for awhile, he also wasn't in comics and got better by being killed. ;-).  )

This is apart from the variable power levels that writers give to powerful characters (sometimes something that was easy for Superman last issue is now hard).  

I think there are 1000's of comics of Superman, writers should be able to figure _something_ out.   Flash has the same problem.  (He's so fast why is "guy with a special gun" ever a problem for him?")

More
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds