Amount

Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!

23 Feb 2021 16:23 #70553 by lfan
May 7th on Netflix!

High hopes for a "Boys-esque" series on this one.  Great graphic novels by Miller if you haven't read them....and a couple of heavy hitting female protagonists, including Chloe Sampson who is one of the "Legacies"!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Sarge395, SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Feb 2021 18:47 #70554 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!
I'll pass, I'm not a fan of Millar's work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
23 Feb 2021 20:19 #70558 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!
Chloe e Grace, wife and daughter of the main character, are super strong but we have to wait and hope they will be not under-utilized and depowered, fingers crossed...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
23 Feb 2021 21:02 #70559 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!

Woodclaw wrote: I'll pass, I'm not a fan of Millar's work.

My view as well, Woodclaw. Everything needs a bit of fun and joy to partially offset the dark, and Millar doesn't do happy.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 Feb 2021 04:01 #70562 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!
Interesting. I have seen the series on Comixology but not read it. Maybe I will check it out. Hopefully, the Netflix series does the comics justice.

More
25 Feb 2021 04:17 #70567 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!

Woodclaw wrote: I'll pass, I'm not a fan of Millar's work.

My view as well, Woodclaw. Everything needs a bit of fun and joy to partially offset the dark, and Millar doesn't do happy.

Shadar

While I wouldn't say this is "happy", it's considerably better than most of Millar's other work.  I would also hope, that like the Boys, the adaption mellows out and deepens the original source material.  The original has a lot about sociology, philosophy, and economic matters and an argument between the main brothers on what Superhero's should do (and their effects on the world) with the divide of the original hero's aging and their kids, who grew up celebrities, taking over.  There is quite a bit of growth of the younger generation, though they start out mostly spoiled.  (Though for all I said about the topics it covers, it's still not as deep as Millar probably thinks it is, just that it scores better than his other works for me.)

Plus the adult daughter is super-strong and that always helps. ;-)

If you are judging him by Wanted or KickAss or the Ultimates, I thought this was miles better than those.  Though I do need ot re-read them (I haven't read them since they came out.)

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of violence and gore in this, and I'm definitely not saying it's happy, just that it might be worth giving it a look to see if you'd like it.For his more recent stuff, Space Bandits was actually fun and Sharkey the Bounty Hunter had it moments.  Both still had some "Millar moments", and are violent and crass at points due to that.  So.. if you don't like him in general they still might not work for you.  Space Bandits just went over the top enough that it was fun for me.  When he tried that sort of thing in Kick-Ass it just felt like he was trying to be shocking because he couldn't write an interesting story otherwise.

More
25 Feb 2021 13:52 #70568 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Finally! Jupiter's Legacy is Coming!
I will likely watch the first few episodes until it drifts off into bat shit crazy social justice. Then I will watch the YouTube compilations of powers scenes because at that point it is only what I would have used the FF button to skip to. And if the females are not attractive I won't even watch the compilation videos. If it has a lot of tatted up sailor women with shaved heads I'll save my time.

• Sarge395
More
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds